HAL vs. Raddison's Main Dining Room ....

sail7seas

My first experience with RSSC was last year on the Voyager. I have since been on two HAL cruises - the Zuiderdam (plus 6 other cruises ranging from Carnival to Cunard).

Food taste and quality in my opinion is 70% of the dining experience. I then factor in service, presentation, and other aspects. NOTE: I did not have the opportunity to sample the alternative venues on the Voyager. It was either the Compass Rose or ensuite dining.

With respect to HAL, it depends on the ship, the assigned wait and bus staff to your table and the time of year. For example, one of my two cruises on the Zuiderdam were at 100% occupancy. The dinning room seemed overcrowded, loud and rushed even at second sitting. I believe HAL (CCL) has cut back drastically on the dining room staff. They were so busy, I couldn't get my olive oil on the table for my bread each night without repeatedly asking for it. Actually, Carnival does a much better job in their dinning rooms with their "team" approach and I hate to admit it. I sailed on CCL's Spirit and found that while more attention to detail is given to their latest ships which sail longer itineraries, the service was superior than that of HAL - even the food was as good, if not at times better.

I have to think that HAL is experimenting with their Vista class ships as far as how much they can minimize their service and quality as these are their newest entries into a very competitive marketplace. These ships represent the NEW HAL which many loyalists can't stand.

This is not to say the food and service were poor. Just average and no better that my Spirit class dining experience.

RSSC offers and delivers in general a far more superior product than HAL - there really is no comparison. However, I had a pissy waiter on the Voyager one night and couldn't get what I wanted. Had to send the order back and that night there were problems in the kitchen as well - so you can have a lousy meal on a great ship. The dining experience is obviously much more refined on a RSSC ship and the Compass Rose is a gorgious room. The flatwear, china and settings were first rate and you know that this is a room to dine in. On a good day, RSSC will outperform many high end land based restaurants and this is what is so special about the overal product. HAL is good - RSSC is another world. Finally, nothing comnpares to room service on RSSC. Nothing...

We have sailed both and my impression is if they are both on top form they would be very close. Changes in the tipping policy may change the fantastic service that makes us so loyal, we have some long term concerns of unexpected changes on holland, though this may be unfounded.We have examined the thoughts for next years world on radisson. Our adoration of the princendam will make it difficult to change . Happy sailing

Archived