Price Drop

dfishner

I have been watching my cruise for almost a year even though we had a good rate when we booked you always hope that the price would come down. Well today I went to look and lo and behold there it was the infamous drop in price, I got on the horn to my TA he called RCL and my cruise price went down $100 so this is a great way to start the day. It does pay to check back.

I was just curious. Does a price drop affect the TA's commision? :confused:

Yes, it affects our commission....but the $ amount of a price drop is so low (usually) that we lose very little....For instance...the OP's cruise went down $100.00. For an agency that is at a top tier with RCCL the loss of commission would be $16.00. Not enought to lose a customer over !

Yes, it affects our commission....but the $ amount of a price drop is so low (usually) that we lose very little....For instance...the OP's cruise went down $100.00. For an agency that is at a top tier with RCCL the loss of commission would be $16.00. Not enought to lose a customer over !

.......and the agent only gets a % of the $16, the amount depending on the comp. plan. Definitely not worth losing a client over.

Thanks for your reply ;) I know some people have posted that they have received $500 price drops and I was curious if a TA would not be happy to see that come off from their commision.

My TA had a problem with me trying to get my AMEX $100 annual travel benefit, said it came out of her commision. Ever since I think she has been holding back on discounts for me. :confused:

By the way, dfishner, glad you got your price drop !!!! :)

Thanks for your reply ;) I know some people have posted that they have received $500 price drops and I was curious if a TA would not be happy to see that come off from their commision.

My TA had a problem with me trying to get my AMEX $100 annual travel benefit, said it came out of her commision. Ever since I think she has been holding back on discounts for me. :confused:

By the way, dfishner, glad you got your price drop !!!! :)

If I am not mistaken, the $100.00 annual travel benefit will come off your card balance once a year? This does not effect an agents commission in any way. As far as the $500.00 price drop..it is really all reletive....the cruise most likely cost more, so the agency's original commission was higher. Again, repeat business is how an agent is successful...still not worth losing one customer over:)

I have been watching my cruise for almost a year even though we had a good rate when we booked you always hope that the price would come down. Well today I went to look and lo and behold there it was the infamous drop in price, .

What ship and date?

Just curious, do travel agents watch each customer's cruises that closely - that is, do you watch for price drops? I book my own cruises through RCCL, and then I check current pricing every few weeks. Recently, after some significant price drops on one particular cruise, I was able to move up from a porthole on deck two to a balcony on deck seven for a total of $600.00 for two passengers on a 13 night cruise. I just wonder if a travel agent would've snagged the same deal for me, or would I still be booked in steerage?

I think a lot of the big dog agencies balk at price drops even though in your case would only be 16.00 or so because with the volume of business they do those small amounts add up. Frankly if an agency balks at saving the client 100.00 because they would lose 10.00-16.00, in commission, I'd sure as heck never book with them again.

Just curious, do travel agents watch each customer's cruises that closely - that is, do you watch for price drops? I book my own cruises through RCCL, and then I check current pricing every few weeks. Recently, after some significant price drops on one particular cruise, I was able to move up from a porthole on deck two to a balcony on deck seven for a total of $600.00 for two passengers on a 13 night cruise. I just wonder if a travel agent would've snagged the same deal for me, or would I still be booked in steerage?

Nobody cares about you more the YOU:D

Unfortunatly if you do alot of volume, it is hard to keep up on everyones price drops...I will tell my clients to please check and call me (or email me) if they see a drop. I don't think the cruiseline employees can check every one either....

I think a lot of the big dog agencies balk at price drops even though in your case would only be 16.00 or so because with the volume of business they do those small amounts add up. Frankly if an agency balks at saving the client 100.00 because they would lose 10.00-16.00, in commission, I'd sure as heck never book with them again.

Because these agencies are not counting on repeat business. Anyone who wants to grow their business knows that past clients are the best clients one can have...you've already formed a relationship with them, know their likes and dislikes etc. Sure is woth a little loss in commission for me!

Hey Dale !!!

Good news indeed. We love price drops - we always find another way to spend it on the cruise ... you know....booking another one, etc.

Hope you continue to have a great day. Greetings to Rob.

We are very excited about it and we are going with Rob son and girlfriend so we should have a great time...want to come??? we miss you guys!!!! how the coffee???

I have used one cruise agency with one agent since we have been cruising. She is great. I do not expect her to keep up with all the cruise drops I feel I need to do that. When I do call with a question or booking she is honest has told me to stay away from certain cruiselines since she knows us well and what we like...She has called me when she has found something she believes we will enjoy. The repeat business we do with her company is worth the $16 off of one cruise since we keep coming back to her...

We are very excited about it and we are going with Rob son and girlfriend so we should have a great time...want to come??? we miss you guys!!!! how the coffee???

We'd sure like to join you but you know, duty calls...Dave's a working maniac these days !!! Love, love, love the Navigator....in very close running with the Jewel as our favorite ship. They are different in a lot of ways, but they're both so wonderful.

Have a great time.

BTW...the coffee hasn't killed me off yet.;) :p :eek:

We'd sure like to join you but you know, duty calls...Dave's a working maniac these days !!! Love, love, love the Navigator....in very close running with the Jewel as our favorite ship. They are different in a lot of ways, but they're both so wonderful.

Have a great time.

BTW...the coffee hasn't killed me off yet.;) :p :eek:

don't you think it would be great to get all our group together from the jewel sometime in the future and go on another cruise. That had to be my all time favorite cruise. I told Rob you said hi he sent a wave and a smile to you and Dave. Tell Dave for us he is not trying hard enough...

don't you think it would be great to get all our group together from the jewel sometime in the future and go on another cruise. That had to be my all time favorite cruise. I told Rob you said hi he sent a wave and a smile to you and Dave. Tell Dave for us he is not trying hard enough...

Yes, that was a really great group. I'd have to agree with it being our favorite cruise too.

Geez....are you really wanting the coffee to be tainted???? :eek: :eek:

Yes, that was a really great group. I'd have to agree with it being our favorite cruise too.

Geez....are you really wanting the coffee to be tainted???? :eek: :eek:

Smiles Rob and I adore you and want you around for a long time to come...

Archived