Radiance Ultimate Alaska cruise - review!

critterchick

We used room service on a few occassions and found it to be fine.

Prompt and correct …both for the breakfast and during the day. Oh, except for not sending a spoon for the clam chowder.

Guess we were just lucky!

Thanks for the great review. If DH and I ever take a C&A cruise we will remember that there will be many 'self-entitled' cruisers on board. I thought taking one would be fun - you get little surprises and from what I have read many parties and gifts.

We took the Radiance last year on its repo from Vancouver to Los Angeles. I thought the ship had some of the best art work of any of the RCCL ships. I am glad to hear it will be in dry dock next year for some spiffing up.

There are a lot of fun events, C&A did a boffo job organizing events - dance classes, scrapbooking, other things that I forget - and the gifts were greatly appreciated. But there were far more grumpy people onboard than I've ever encountered, and many of them seemed to be Platinum/D/D+ whose expectations were far loftier than actually happened.

I do love the artwork, thanks for reminding me of that! The Centrum stairwell has glass art on the walls and in the little display cases that I thought was just marvellous.

Just thought I would drop a line to let people thinking about taking a cruise to Alaska on the Radiance to go for it! I have wanted to take the cruise for a while but Art always said that if I wanted to see ice to go downstairs and open the freezer. Now that we have finally made the trip he is gung-ho on doing it again, he loved it! As far as the Radiance crew go we had absolutely no problems. Our cabin stewart was fantastic as was the two sets of waiters we had. We changed from 1st sitting to 2nd as we found the 1st sitting rushed if you were on an afternoon tour. Although we missed our friends from the 1st sitting we had a great group at our 2nd sitting. We found the cruise more relaxing clothing wise as people seemed to dress more casual than usual except for formal night which was very formal. We hope to go back again one day soon.

Adele (Art too)

Just thought I would drop a line to let people thinking about taking a cruise to Alaska on the Radiance to go for it! I have wanted to take the cruise for a while but Art always said that if I wanted to see ice to go downstairs and open the freezer. Now that we have finally made the trip he is gung-ho on doing it again, he loved it! As far as the Radiance crew go we had absolutely no problems. Our cabin stewart was fantastic as was the two sets of waiters we had. We changed from 1st sitting to 2nd as we found the 1st sitting rushed if you were on an afternoon tour. Although we missed our friends from the 1st sitting we had a great group at our 2nd sitting. We found the cruise more relaxing clothing wise as people seemed to dress more casual than usual except for formal night which was very formal. We hope to go back again one day soon.

Adele (Art too)

That's funny. My DH was the same way! We will do Alaska again, and I never thought I would say that.;)

I can't say enough about this cruise. We were in Alaska last year on the Serenade which is also a beautiful ship and we have no complaints but the very special group of friends we met this time made it very special.

The weather in Skagway made the train ride views spectacular.

We took a private tour in Icy Straight Point which is practically non-commercial. We were driven out on Forrestry Commission roads which were quite primitive, and taken to areas which are true wilderness. Our guide was a fountain of knowledge and was able to take us to places where the bears were feeding. I highly reccommend him.

I

As far as wear and tear, I like to call it "character". But nothing that visible that it would make it unappealing or unattractive. They were always constantly shampooing rugs, painting, varnishing and cleaning. I saw nothing like you described on HAL.

Yes I usually get up quite early, around 6AM and one morning last week, a crew member was cleaning the carpet at the front elevators/stairs area on our deck. I inquired if there had been a spill and he replied that they clean public areas like that once a month. There was also some new carpet being put down in the Aurora theatre and else where during our cruise.

.... Our cabin stewart was fantastic as was the two sets of waiters we had. We changed from 1st sitting to 2nd as we found the 1st sitting rushed if you were on an afternoon tour. Although we missed our friends from the 1st sitting we had a great group at our 2nd sitting.

Adele (Art too)

Not to assume too much here... but THANKS! We had a great time dining with you and Art too! The butter-"trick" Art played on Charlie was just precious! Glad you are home safe and sound!

Archived