Recommendation for Snorkeling on a Quiet Beach …Please!

lisa928

My husband and I are in our early thirties and will be on our third (NCL) cruise, this time 14-days from NYC to Miami leaving on 10/28. Over the past two cruises we have learned that we really did not enjoy the organized excursions, but rather catching a cab to a beach for snorkeling. Last time we did it ‘his’ way (i.e. grabbing a cab and asking the cabbie where the best place to go was) and this time we are doing it ‘my’ way (i.e. doing a little homework before, which is the reason I am here!).

Anyway, our cruise has eight stops (see itinerary below) and what I am looking for are suggestions of a quiet beach that is great for snorkeling, noting we have our own equipment! We are really big in saltwater fish with a 220-gallon tank containing fish, live coral, inverts, etc. With that said, we are interesting in seeing more than purple tangs, parrot fish, or chromis fish. I am looking for sharks or turtles, but would love to see a more variety of fish and some corals. (I know, one of these days we will get out scuba licenses). Oh, by the way, when I say quiet beach I would prefer some place without water sports, not a lot of people, and I could care less about amenities, but at the same time I would prefer not to be an hour away from the port.

Okay, I know that is a lot of info, but I am hoping the more detailed the more likely the recommendations will fit what we are looking for. Although this board is island specific, I am posting all our stops, in case someone else also familiar with one of our other stops, but I am also going to post in other appropriate boards.

• St. Thomas
  • St. Kitts
  • Barbados
  • Aruba
  • Curacao
  • Ocho Rios
  • Grand Cayman
  • Cozumel

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Lisa

Archived