Category 5 on Star Flyer

Pattie Mitchell

We are booked on the 6/1/08 Tahiti cruise in Category 5. I was told that the only difference between a Category 4 and a Category 5 (besides location) is the raised bed. As long as I have a window, I'm happy. This is our first StarClipper cruise and I was just curious about the raised bed. Anyone seen this type of cabin?

Thanks!

I've only been in categories 2 and 4, but the information in their catalog shows that two of the Category 5 rooms are inside rooms (hence, no window to the outdoors). It also shows that the two Category 5 rooms with raised beds are raised 4 feet off the floor with a small ladder to access the bed.

Thanks, KathyA,

We are definitely in an outside cabin, #136 on the Commodore Deck, and I did see that the bed was raised 4' off the ground. I was just curious to know if anyone had actually sailed in one of these cabins or even had the chance to peek in. I wonder what's underneath the bed that would raise it 4'? :-) Should be interesting! A double bunk bed withou a bunk underneath!

I have stayed in #136. I like it. Good value- a cat. 4 for the price of a 5. The bed is raised due to the way the cabin follows the contour of the ship's hull in the stern. I am 6'2 and had no problem getting into the bed without the ladder. The ladder is no problem. Similar to a small step ladder. It is detachable and you can stow away if not using. The one thing you may notice, being at the stern of the ship, is some propeller noise at times.

Have fun-

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We had a cat 5 cabin on the Star Flyer in the Caribbean. It is the last cabin before the owner's cabin in the stern. Because of the curve of the hull, the cabin is different from other outside cabins. The bed is maybe 4 feet off the floor. We liked it because we could stash all our stuff in the storage cabinet below. But, it was a little difficult getting into bed. And there was a porthole in the cabin. And a little bench to sit on, which was also handy for launching yourself into bed.

You're probably on your way by now, but hope this helps.

Sue

Archived