Late night arrival in Vancouver

Mt Dh are arriving in Vancouver in May precruise on the Spirit. We get to YVR at 1:40am. I booked the Sutton Hotel for the 12th and 13th of May,2008. In order to guarantee our room should we contact the hotel to tell them of our late night arrival? i don't want them to give our room away and i don't wan the dumpiest room in the place. Also I would like to know how to use public transportation to get to the aquarium, the zoo and granville island. Thanks.

I certainly recommend that you contact the hotel direct to advise of you late arrival. Especially that late. However you need not worry about a "Dumpy room" as a reason.

Here's the transit site. You can just put in the name of your Destination and get the bus routes. There is no Zoo anymore. YOu could actually walk to False Creek and take a small ferry to Granville Island if you have no health/mobility issues. But the buses are easy.

http://www.translink.bc.ca/

Dear Teeach

Yes Vancouver does have a zoo + a world class breeding & conservation centre. If you are an animal lover and want to see rare animals (that is breeds close to extinction) than check out the Mountainview Breeding & Conservation Centre http://www.mtnviewconservation.org. Visiting this facility is not like visiting a zoo in that you are given a guided tour via trolley stopping at each enclosure to see the animals and to learn about them.

If you want to visit a regular zoo than check out http://www.gvzoo.com for information on Vanocuver's regular zoo.

Both of the above are located in Langley a suburb to Vancouver - to reach them you would need to rent a car for the day

Out of curiosity are you flying Cathay Pacific from NY to arrive at that time? I had to hold my pre-cruise hotel with a credit card and it didn't matter what time we arrived.

We are flying out of JFK, New York at 11:00Pm on the 12th and arriving in Vancouver at 1:40am on the 13th of May. i booked the Sutton Place for the 12th and the 13th precruise on the 14th. I will email or call the hotel to let them know I will be arriving about 2:30am for the 12th check in. I booked the hotel on Priceline and i want to make sure we have a hotel to stay in at that hour of the morning.

By the way going out of JFK saved my DH and myself $400. per person RT.It also is only a 5:30 hour flight nonstop as opposed to an 8 -11 hour flight with 1 stopover if I flew the same airlines out of Newark, NJ. I checked all the airlines in the New York and Philadelphia vicinity. This was the best deal, but the flight time enroute to Vancouver is just not perfect. What's a person to do.:rolleyes:

I think you made a great decision - I would make the same. Although the hours are irregular, you get to fly in a Boeing 747-400 with great Asian hospitality and service and not have to deal with domestic service. You'll arive more relaxed. Remember though that 1:40 Pacific time will "feel like" 4:40 AM to you. Because it is so late you'll be whisked to your hotel in probably 15 min. with no traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

The aquarium is quite close to the Sutton Place, a cab would probably be the easiest way to go...or a decent walk if you're in the mood. Granville Island is a bit further (opposite direction) but not by much. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the bus schedule but the concierge can certainly help you with that! You can either go across the Granville St bridge on route to Granville Island OR you can get to the near side of the water and take a water taxi across to Granville Island itself. Again, it's actually a nice walk from the Sutton to where you catch the water taxi (water taxi takes about 5-8 minutes....and is very cheap). Yes, there is a zoo (honestly, can't recommend it) in Aldergrove, which is just past Langley, or Mountainview, which is a MUCH better facility and as BCHappyGal mentioned, not a traditional public facility. It may be by appointment, you'd have to check.

Dear Teeach

Yes Vancouver does have a zoo + a world class breeding & conservation centre. If you are an animal lover and want to see rare animals (that is breeds close to extinction) than check out the Mountainview Breeding & Conservation Centre www.mtnviewconservation.org. Visiting this facility is not like visiting a zoo in that you are given a guided tour via trolley stopping at each enclosure to see the animals and to learn about them.

If you want to visit a regular zoo than check out www.gvzoo.com for information on Vanocuver's regular zoo.

Both of the above are located in Langley a suburb to Vancouver - to reach them you would need to rent a car for the day

See I told you there was no Zoo in Vancouver. This is actually over 50 Kms. from downtown. Aquarium is great it's in Stanely Park

Archived