Ship Illnesses

I read an old thread that said that someone who had caught Noro virus on the ship got compensation for the days she was quarantined to her room due to Noro virus.

Now I'm curious...if you catch a disease on the ship (like Noro virus) and you go to the ship's doctor, do they charge you for this?

I am shocked to how much the ship's doctor charges. Don't they want you to be well and enjoy your trip? Certainly, no one would take advantage of the ship's doctor and try to get "free treatments" for non-existent conditions (or pre-existing conditions) so I can't imagine why they charge so much! It's not as though you can shop around...

One other thing...I'm assuming that if you are quarantined, you have to order room service? Somehow, I think I could survive room service, but I have no idea how I'd survive without bingo!

It's not the "ship's" fault if you get sick. It's not the ship that gives you the virus, but the other people!!!!

Yes, you will be charged for a doctor's visit--just like on land! That's why having some sort of insurance is a must! Many health policies will cover you when you are not home, but you should check on that! If yours doesn't, a travel policy may be in order.

And yes--folks will take advantage of any situation and try to get treatment for pre-exisiting conditions, real or imagined!!!!!!

Yes, you can order room service, but you won't really want to eat if you have noro!!!!

Of course you have to pay when visiting the ships doctor. Catching Norovirus onboard is nothing else than catching a cold - it´s not the ships fault, so why shouldn´t they charge you for the treatment (I know Noro can be worse than a cold and can´t compare those two, just used it as an example for something else you can catch;) ) The ships dr.´s are subcontracted and cruiselines have nothing to do with what they charge.

So buy insurance to get potential costs reimbursed.

OK...not to make light of people becoming ill on-board ship, let me tell you my story....

Last year while cruising in AK I came down with what I knew was going to be a massive sinus infection. For the entire week I kept saying to myself, "OK, you know what this is...you'll be ok...the ship's Doctor will cost a fortune...just go to the Doctor when you get home...Doctors in ports are going to cost a fortune too."

I was miserable for the entire week.

It wasn't till I got home to VA and made it to my Doctor here and started feeling better, that I realized....AK is part of the 50 states :eek: ....and my insurance would have covered any Doctor's visit!

Talk about a MAJOR senior moment! :D

On the other hand...because I was so miserable during that trip, we're going to go back to AK.

Of course you have to pay when visiting the ships doctor. Catching Norovirus onboard is nothing else than catching a cold - it´s not the ships fault, so why shouldn´t they charge you for the treatment (I know Noro can be worse than a cold and can´t compare those two, just used it as an example for something else you can catch;) ) The ships dr.´s are subcontracted and cruiselines have nothing to do with what they charge.

So buy insurance to get potential costs reimbursed.

We had noro on the Island Princess in July - there is absolutely no charge for medical services related to this illness. We were also refunded for shore excursions but you must have a note from the doctor to get a refund.

I got Noro on my Alaska cruise this summer and when I saw the ship doctor, there was absolutely no charge. They want the people with the virus to come see them so they can contain it! Yes, we were compensated for the quaranteen days (which was a nice surprise!) but I missed a port and excursions. The excursion we had booked through RCI was reimbursed.

Yes, you have to use room service and they also let us have free movies while we were quaranteened.

In my opinion they did everything they could to try to make us as comfortable as possible. Thank God we had 2 separate balcony rooms, if the whole family would have been cooped up in one interior room, we may not have all made it out alive!:rolleyes:

Archived