Atlantis Aquaventure - worth it??

disneycruisin

Me and my DBF will be booking our first cruise at the end of this month - the 4 Night Bahamian on the Disney Wonder. I have always, always wanted to stay at Atlantis, so a trip there will be definately in the works. DCL offers 3 different excursions: Basic Tour of Atlantis $39, Beach Day at Atlantis $65, and Aquaventure $155.

Aquaventure seems soooo cool to me, and I would love to use the pools, but DBF thinks £75 is no way worth it just to use some other hotel's pools - it does seem expensive?

What do you guys think? We will be docked in Nassau from 9.30am - 7pm

Me and my DBF will be booking our first cruise at the end of this month - the 4 Night Bahamian on the Disney Wonder. I have always, always wanted to stay at Atlantis, so a trip there will be definately in the works. DCL offers 3 different excursions: Basic Tour of Atlantis $39, Beach Day at Atlantis $65, and Aquaventure $155.

Aquaventure seems soooo cool to me, and I would love to use the pools, but DBF thinks £75 is no way worth it just to use some other hotel's pools - it does seem expensive?

What do you guys think? We will be docked in Nassau from 9.30am - 7pm

If you are already planning a trip to the Atlantis, then I'd pass on it for the cruise and check out the "real" bahamas. You can take a day trip to exuma via the Powerboatadventure.com, or snorkel, scuba etc.

You can find a waterpark anywhere, but the crystal clear waters and beautiful beaches are a must see.

Atlantis is a false environment, and not at all like visiting the bahamas.

We went to Atlantis a couple years ago before they built the new Aquaventure. But they had the myan temple and the water rides and the lazy river. We had an absolute blast. We stayed at Atlantis, it is very pricey but it was my 40th. We actually stayed in the Harborside Resort condos behind the main buildings and got a 1 bedroom condo for the same price as a Coral tower hotel room and we had a full kitchen and livingroom so it was nice.

I want to check out the Aquaventure but $155 a person is a little steep. We are taking a 3 day weekend Bahama cruise in December and plan on just taking a ferry or water taxi to Atlantis and go through the DIG. The cruise ship wants 56.00 a person for a 2 hour boat tour and a trip through the DIG. It will only cost us half that to do it on our own and then we can stay at Atlantis as long as we want and gamble too.

So it really depends on your budget and time but Atlantis is definitely worth a trip.

Thanks for your replies and thoughts guys :)

I really want to visit Atlantis since I've always wanted to stay at the hotel, but am unlikely to do so in the near future (if you pay that much for a hotel, you want all inclusive right?!) so a visit is a must. However, $155 is extremely steep - I'll check out the comfort inn to see if that's a better price.

We might do a short Atlantis trip and then if we have time, go see the beaches of the Bahamas :D

I got a AAA rate through hotels by city dot com and I am paying $135 for the room at Comfort Suites next Friday.

When I booked our room at CS last December through the smartertravel link I found it was cheaper than the AAA rate, might be worth checking out.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help guys!

We have decided to just do the basic visit to Atlantis to see the Aquarium and resort ($39pp I think with DCL) and put the rest of the money towards a stateroom with a verandah :) I will still get to see the resort which will be really cool since I've always wanted to stay there!!

Thanks for all your help guys!

We have decided to just do the basic visit to Atlantis to see the Aquarium and resort ($39pp I think with DCL) and put the rest of the money towards a stateroom with a verandah :) I will still get to see the resort which will be really cool since I've always wanted to stay there!!

When we were there a few weeks ago Atlantis was selling day passes that included everything (aquarium, beaches, pools and water rides) for $105. It's still a little steep, but it's better than $155. They also sold passes for just the aquarium and the beaches/pools (no water rides) that was cheaper, I want to say about $60 (can't remember exact price).

Also, you don't have to do the tour through Disney if you don't want. It's free to wander around the resort (and pretty fun, too), and you can buy a pass to the Digs (the aquarium) for $32, and this includes a guided tour if you wish, or you can walk it alone. We took the guided tour and it was well worth it.

A taxi is $4 per person each way to get to Atlantis. Or a water taxi is $3 per person each way (but on the way back to the ship you may have to wait a little bit because they want to have those water taxis full before taking off).

When we were there a few weeks ago Atlantis was selling day passes that included everything (aquarium, beaches, pools and water rides) for $105. It's still a little steep, but it's better than $155. They also sold passes for just the aquarium and the beaches/pools (no water rides) that was cheaper, I want to say about $60 (can't remember exact price).

Also, you don't have to do the tour through Disney if you don't want. It's free to wander around the resort (and pretty fun, too), and you can buy a pass to the Digs (the aquarium) for $32, and this includes a guided tour if you wish, or you can walk it alone. We took the guided tour and it was well worth it.

A taxi is $4 per person each way to get to Atlantis. Or a water taxi is $3 per person each way (but on the way back to the ship you may have to wait a little bit because they want to have those water taxis full before taking off).

Atlantis was??? That is cool....another option.

Reviews are beginning to emerge on this fairly new, Nassau shore excursion option and this one is testimonial from one booked directly through Carnival. Given that there were only two in our party, we debated whether to partake in the Atlantis Aquaventure via the booking of a room at the Comfort Suites or through the cruise line’s shore excursion desk. We opted for the latter and had no regrets.

The per person charge was $149, which seemed steep initially, but considering all that it included, ended up being a pretty decent value. To wit:

• Roundtrip ferry transportation, which had a set 9:15 a.m. departure and on the half-hour return options through 5:00 p.m. so that you could return when you wanted. You can remain at Atlantis beyond 5:00 p.m., but are responsible for your own return transportation should you opt to do this.
  • Admission to Atlantis Aquaventure and the Dig (guided tour if you wish), including all water slides, pools, beaches, and shower and changing facilities.
  • Towels and use of chaise lounges.
  • Complimentary bottle of water upon arrival.
  • Lunch from your choice of one of three poolside concession stands.

What is not included:

• Locker rental (largest locker is $10; smaller lockers go for less).
  • Additional food and beverages beyond those delineated above.

If you avail yourself of the Atlantis Aquaventure experience via the booking of a room at the Comfort Suites, you would be responsible for your own transportation to and from the ship as well as your lunch.

The Atlantis Aquaventure is a well-executed water park attraction with myriad activities and slides suited to a variety of age and adventure levels. One could also just relax by one of the pools or beaches; however, a more affordable shore excursion might be a better pick if relaxation is the only desire. If adventure and fun is the priority, this is the excursion for you.

Based on personal experience, I recommend commencing with the various water slides upon arrival, when the sun is not yet directly overhead and the lines are shorter. That being said, given the vast number of water slides, the waiting lines were never excessively long. When you’re ready for a break, the lazy river is a nice interlude and takes about half an hour to fully traverse. Having exhausted the water slide and lazy river options in the morning, we had lunch and then relaxed by one of the pools for a few hours. The chaise lounges have a canopy option should you want to escape the full sun. We concluded the day by walking through the Dig, (a huge indoor aquarium) which was enjoyable, air-conditioned, and near where you need to exit. Pleasantly exhausted, we took the 4:00 p.m. ferry back to the port.

Even after reading this, it still seems to me as if booking a room at Comfort Suites is the better deal. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I'm still a cruising rookie).

My boyfriend and I will be taking our first cruise to the Bahamas in August of next year, and the price I saw for a room at Comfort Suites was about $240. I know that transportation, lunch and a water bottle are not included with the Comfort Suites room, but unless the above are worth more than $60, the Comfort Suites room is ideal.

Right?

Whichever route you choose to get to Atlantis, you'll be happy. My review was more about a recommendation of the Atlantis Aquaventure experience and far less about the road to get there. For me it was worth it to spend a little extra to have it all taken care of in advance so I could maximize my time at Atlantis. The lunch was equivalent to about $15 per person. The Comfort Inn will probably work out a bit cheaper, but I always like to factor in the value of my time in these equations. Whatever you decide to do, you'll enjoy the Aquaventure.

So glad I've read all these posts as my DH and I will be in Nassau the first of week of January for a day. We will definitely visit Atlantis on our own as we are past the age of enjoying a water park, but still want to visit the Dig and roam around for a bit. I thought the ship excursion was a bit steep for getting us there, a quick tour, a little gambling, then back to the ship. It is less costly to grab a cab and hang out at Atlantis for a bit, then also do a snorkel and sail excursion the same day - a win-win situation!

So glad I've read all these posts as my DH and I will be in Nassau the first of week of January for a day. We will definitely visit Atlantis on our own as we are past the age of enjoying a water park, but still want to visit the Dig and roam around for a bit. I thought the ship excursion was a bit steep for getting us there, a quick tour, a little gambling, then back to the ship. It is less costly to grab a cab and hang out at Atlantis for a bit, then also do a snorkel and sail excursion the same day - a win-win situation!

I agree, if you're not into the waterpark, then there really no reason to pay to go to Atlantis. The rest of it is open to the public, with the exception of the DIGS, which you can see, in part, from the entry point at the great hall of waters cafe. The rest is the same old, same old.

• 1 year later...

We did the altantis aquaventure and loved it. Yes it is alot of money, but I think I was like you and always wanted to go there so we bit the bullet and just went. We were the first people off the boat and took a taxi in. this was nice because aquaventure didnt open intill 10:00 so we had time to explore and do the digs. Overall we were really happy with the aquaventure and would recomend it.

• 4 years later...

Has anyone been to Atlantis Aquaventure lately? How exactly do you go about getting a room at Comfort Inn, checking in and checking out at the same time? I can't seem to book online. There are only 3 of us going. I don't want to risk missing getting a day pass from Atlantis, I hear they sell out quickly and no telling how long it will take to get off the ship, and I do not want to pay the $179 per person from Carnival. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The more details the better. Thanks again!

I don't know why you can't book online - it's just a regular hotel room, not a day pass. Be aware of extra fees - they can really add up! Like any hotel, rates are higher during peak seasons. Sometimes it's cheaper, sometimes it's not. Just have to do the math.

• 2 months later...