Princess Cays - Bugs??

linaka625

I just returned from the CB yesterday. We went to Princess Cays on Saturday. We kept getting the feeling that we were getting bitten by bugs or knats, and changed our seats 3 times. Before long, you could see the bug bites. After only and hour or so, we went back to the ship. Since then, the itching has been incredible. I have over a hundred bug bites on my body. Has anyone else had this experience? When will the itching stop?? Help!

My guess would be a type of sand flea is what bit you. Not a doctor, but I would try some Benadryl and also some anti itch topical solution, it should stop the itching.

Sorry you were chewed up. So far, all that has ever bothered us on Princess Cays have been flies.

Then it could've been sea lice. I did hear of someone experiencing it a few weeks ago. If you find out when the moon was full and add 10 days, then you'll know if they were probably in the water when you were. I usually add 1-2 days before & after that 10 day marker just to be safe.

If they are the sea lice, then you might want to go to the doctor just to be safe. He might have something a little stronger for you than Benadryl.

Could also be what we call in Florida "no-see-ums". Small bugs, also called sand gnats...bite is miserable but not harmful. Will resolve with out much other than what was already mentioned. We use Avon skin so soft to repel them when they are out.

I did not believe it myself, but when I lived in Florida and went the beach, at times we would get attacked by invisible bugs, like mosquitoes. The bites were similar and of about the same duration. Insect repellent does work. I would hate to miss Princess Cays. The swim there was one of the best of the whole 2 weeks.

nonnybyrd

I believe Princess Cays is part of Eleuthera. I've been to Eleuthera, and fortunately was forewarned about the possibility of insects, so went prepared. I can't remember if they were gnats, no-see-ums, or what. Just that they were pesky!

I just returned from the CB yesterday. We went to Princess Cays on Saturday. We kept getting the feeling that we were getting bitten by bugs or knats, and changed our seats 3 times. Before long, you could see the bug bites. After only and hour or so, we went back to the ship. Since then, the itching has been incredible. I have over a hundred bug bites on my body. Has anyone else had this experience? When will the itching stop?? Help!

Are the bites only on exposed areas (not covered by bathing suit)?

Do the bites go right to the edge of where the bathing suit was? If so then it's probably sea lice (they are not really lice but annoying none the less), if instead they are just randomly located it was probably sand fleas or no see-ums.

NO!:eek: I AM NOT A DOCTOR!!!!! lol

I just happen to be the owner of the worst skin in the world as to biting bugs:( If it bites (and is within a hundred miles of my person) it will find me:mad: ..................................My "perfume" I constantly wear is called "DEET":o

The bites are just on the areas of my body that were exposed. The itching has subsided, but still there. The red bites are still obvious, and it is now 8 days since my day in Princess Cays. I had a great time on Princess, but the next time I am on a cruise that stops there, I am not getting off the ship.

The bites are just on the areas of my body that were exposed. The itching has subsided, but still there. The red bites are still obvious, and it is now 8 days since my day in Princess Cays. I had a great time on Princess, but the next time I am on a cruise that stops there, I am not getting off the ship.

Awwww, don't lose out on the experience! Just spray up before you get off! There are nasty bugs on every inch of the planet (I know, I have met most of them personally:mad: ) and I will not let them dictate where I go!

I am so sorry that you had this experience, I know it's a pain, but there are so many amazing places to see out there, don't let it stop you.

Sorry you got bit. We were on the same cruise, were on the first tender over to Princess Cays and the last tender back. We spent time in the water, on the beach, at the buffet and walking around a bit and not a single bite for any of our group. Guess we were very lucky. Someone who was doing a B2B had posted the week before on our roll call about getting bit but we forgot to bring bug spray.

Archived