San Juan

progcas

One of the reasons I chose my next cruise is because we're going to be in San Juan from 7 am until 3:30.

I plan on doing a walking tour (ok, I might take the trolley up to El Morro, if I can find it) and walk back down.

I most definitely would like some local food for lunch, though.

No Senor Frogs or any other chain/commercial eatery. I can go to any chain restaurant/bar at home and eat and drink myself into a stupor.

I want to see something of the area I'm visiting and sample local cuisine.

There are a few recommendations on local eateries in some of the other threads, which is very much appreciated!

One of the reasons I chose my next cruise is because we're going to be in San Juan from 7 am until 3:30.

I plan on doing a walking tour (ok, I might take the trolley up to El Morro, if I can find it) and walk back down.

I most definitely would like some local food for lunch, though.

No Senor Frogs or any other chain/commercial eatery. I can go to any chain restaurant/bar at home and eat and drink myself into a stupor.

I want to see something of the area I'm visiting and sample local cuisine.

There are a few recommendations on local eateries in some of the other threads, which is very much appreciated!

Hiya NcTribeFan. :)

My husband and I went to Cafe Bohemio located in the El Convento Hotel. http://www.elconvento.com The food was really good, the prices moderate and the service excellent. Mike the Bartender was great. It is located on Christos St. It is not one of those real touristy places either.

We also went to the Parrot Club on Forteleza St. for their famous Parrot Passion which was delicious. We didn't eat there but looked at the menu and it looked very nice. The place itself was very nice looking also.

From what I heard the trolley can take a very long time. We took a cab up to El Morro for $11 for the two of us and then walked back down through the streets of OSJ.

Hi Minn.cruisers and MarriedinStThomas1807! We're from MN, and we just got back from a week in Lutsen last month! We moved down to FL about 3 years ago. Easier to cruise from here! :D

We've been to SJ once. It was early enough to visit El Morrow, then walk back down the hill and have dinner at the Parrot place (forgot the name, lol).

We'll be in SJ in March, on the Mariner, from 3-10. I'm not sure what we'll do yet. Probably just walk around OSJ and see everything, then have a nice dinner someplace.

Hi Rhonda,

That's funny, we are coming down there and you guys just were here---both Minnesotans at heart. We have considered moving to Floriida, or someplace warm. The winters are harsh here, although have not been as cold the past few years. We may retire in Florida as most Minnesotans do.

Lutsen is fun, I bet you really miss it here...although we could really get used to living down there. I really hate air conditioning though, it would be hard to get used to all the time. We can't wait to come in 2 months. SJ is a place I've always wanted to see, and it is finally almost here....:D

We are really looking forward to the night Biobay kayak tour. The night sky with no moon will be perfect, after a shopping tour in OSJ before we go there.

wow.. the first person I've seen from MN

There are one or two of us on this site. We are in San Juan for 2 nights before our Princess canal cruise in December. We are thinking of the bio bay kayak the night before our cruise leaves. I think that there is supposed to be no moon on Dec 3rd. Need to find out if taking a 7 YO that is a good swimmer (for her age) is appropriate.

Love San Juan. Wish I could have taken more days to spend there.

I wonder why Carnival doesn't get to San Juan much earlier so passengers can spend the entire day there. I have kids, and they're really not interested in walking around a town, shopping. To me, San Juan is a wasted stop and I haven't booked a cruise that goes there for this reason. Does anyone feel the same way?

Our Carnival cruise arrives @ 7am and departs @ 3:30pm so there are Carnival cruises that do arrive during the day. Guess we are the lucky ones :D

Just thought I'd share-I was doing some research, and San Juan has the typical 'ghost walk/ghost talk' things. We're thinking of doing it to see a bit of San Juan and then do the Senor Frog's thing afterwards, drink til we can't remember the stories, lol.

Archived