Pearl cabin selection

Hedotwo

I'll start by saying what a great find this forum has turned out to be :) to prepare for our first cruise next February on the Pearl. My first question is on the cabin we booked, #10008. I'm hoping that it's a fairly quiet location and that the ship movement is not too bad in normal seas. Like many first timers, we just need some reassurance that we made a good choice. We both had a balcony room as our minimum cabin category choice and we opted for this room rather than a guarantee one. In our category there were only a few rooms left when I booked and they were all clustered together on both sides of the ship, far forward. I took 10008. Is anyone able to offer any info on this cabin location?

Thanks.

Rich

The NCL website only shows a certain number of rooms available when booking. They seem to start from the front and work back. On their website you have the option of selecting a certain cabin to see if that is available. I did that on the cruise you are on and there is availability further back.

I do not get seasick, but based on what I have heard (and it makes sense) the closer to the front or back, the more movement you feel. You also want to see what is above and around your cabin to see if there is likely to be noise. I went on many cruises before I ever learned this info and have never been bothered by where my room was located.

I do like the rooms closer to the top as much of our days are spent at the pool. There is supposed to be more movement there as well.

The NCL website only shows a certain number of rooms available when booking. They seem to start from the front and work back. On their website you have the option of selecting a certain cabin to see if that is available. I did that on the cruise you are on and there is availability further back.

I do not get seasick, but based on what I have heard (and it makes sense) the closer to the front or back, the more movement you feel. You also want to see what is above and around your cabin to see if there is likely to be noise. I went on many cruises before I ever learned this info and have never been bothered by where my room was located.

I do like the rooms closer to the top as much of our days are spent at the pool. There is supposed to be more movement there as well.

Hmmm. I wonder if I can try and change our cabin location through Expedia (where we booked) for something further aft. Neither my wife nor I have a history of motion sickness, so it's not something I'm too concerned about if we can't change though. I guess I'd just rather move rearward if I still can, just to be safe.

If NCL's site shows more sites available, but I can't change through Expedia, I wonder what my choices are in that case. Anyone do anything similar to this with Expedia?

Thanks.

Rich

Hedotwo,

I've been had cabins all over the ships, forward, amidships, all the way aft , and most recently in 10050 on the Pearl last April. Your cabin 10008 will be just fine. I'm booked again in a forward cabin, 10052 for April. My wife really notices the motion, and takes Meclazine before she leave home, and has never had a problem. Take the room, and not the guarantee.;)

We were on the Pearl to Alaska, Sept. 2, 2007, and had cabin #9008. It was quiet and not any more motion than other areas on deck 9. The only thing I would liked to have known ahead of time was that in cabins numbered -06 through -12 have balcony views that are smaller than all the other balcony views because of a metal casing about 6-12 inches all around the balcony. This metal casing stops on the cabins numbered -14 and higher. So, you'd get a wider, and in my opinion, nicer view if you had a cabin numbered 1014 or higher. If you look closely at pictures of the Pearl, you will see what I am talking about.

We were on the Pearl to Alaska, Sept. 2, 2007, and had cabin #9008. It was quiet and not any more motion than other areas on deck 9. The only thing I would liked to have known ahead of time was that in cabins numbered -06 through -12 have balcony views that are smaller than all the other balcony views because of a metal casing about 6-12 inches all around the balcony. This metal casing stops on the cabins numbered -14 and higher. So, you'd get a wider, and in my opinion, nicer view if you had a cabin numbered 1014 or higher. If you look closely at pictures of the Pearl, you will see what I am talking about.

I believe I see what you're referring to about the balconies being different on those cabins farthest forward. I guess I'd assumed all the balconies were the same on those cabins. I called Expedia just now and was able to relocate to 9106 from 10008. Still BB. I'm thinking that being amidship might be a better choice on our first cruise rather than one deck higher, but forward quite a ways. I'm sure we'll learn alot on this first cruise :)

Thanks alot for pointing out the balcony difference Big Reds.

Rich

We were on the Pearl in 10010 on the Sept 16th sailing to Alaska. I didn't really notice that the motion was any more noticable in our room. We had one fairly rough night at sea and it wasn't overwhelmingly bad. Didn't seem that much different from the rest of the ship to me. My husband gets motion sick in a car, but he was fine in our room and he didn't take anything.

It was a very quiet location. We enjoyed it very much. Our balcony had one side "open" and one side with the metal "frame". We had great views.

I thought it was a great location & would gladly choose it again.

Archived