What would be the best balcony cabin?

chewie44

Currently I have a balcony guarantee category BD on the NCL gem, and I am understanding that I could be upgraded to a BC, BB or BA category, but it would never be less than a BD.

I was told that the BD is on Deck 8, and I also understand that the higher you go, the balcony cabin cost goes up.

What is the ideal balcony cabin....is it an AFT, which I believe is on the right side of the ship, or is it a port side balcony, which is on the left side of the ship, or if it was a balcony facing the back of the ship, or a balcony facing the front?:confused:

I do understand that because it is a newer ship, that if there is any motion, it is barely detectable because of the stablizers that are now used are even better than before.

I would appreciate the experienced cruisers input, since I am a newbie to cruising.:)

thanks

I choose my room locations based on their proximity to the elevators and main areas of the ship. On RCCL ships I want to be close to the Promenade so I can get my coffee and snacks. So that is the main area I'm concerned with. Others may want to be near the dining areas.

Someone on another thread indicated that the aft balcony rooms were better because of less wind. I took that to mean the very rear or stern of the ship which would make sense. Otherwise I don't see how just being toward the rear (aft means toward the rear or stern) would make any difference. I've had balconies on my last three cruises and I've never given any thought to wind. I've had rooms on the 6th and 8th decks, fore and aft and have noted no discernable difference in ship motion.

Jimmers

the cabin is the aft (rear) or foward are suites, not balconies... much more money the a regular balcony. usually have larger balconies, plus a different room configuration. with any cabin..usually the lower the deck, the less sway, middle of the ship less up and down. we are doing a BD on the spirit, picked it for the price. the differences between that an a BA wasn't worth the cost. the room is the same, just the position on the ship. aft suites are pricing, many swear by them..to me, any balcony is a good balcony. you are right, the ones on higher decks are prime cabins, even if the room is no different then the ones on deck 8. on the gem there are 2 BAs in the aft on a couple decks, you can bet those sell out fast. right between suits, on the aft...they would sell out a year ahead

After reading all your replies, I feel better about choosing the balcony guarantee.:D I'm glad that for the most part it really is not going to matter, since a balcony is a balcony, just a different placement on the ship.

Since I will be prepared and stocked up in case of seasickness, I shouldn't have to worry where our balcony is located.

At the worst,(if you can call it the worst:rolleyes: ), the balcony will be on deck 8, and that does not sound terrible to me.:)

Archived