Recommendations for hotel in Calgary

We will be staying for 2 nights in Calgary prior to our Rockies tour and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hotel centrally placed for tourist attractions.We do like our creature comforts so would be wanting a first class hotel.

• 3 weeks later...
Could you tell me the must see attractions in Calgary?

As everyone's tastes/interests/abilities are varied, it is difficult to make a list of "must see" attractions so here are a couple of ideas to get you started.

Some suggestions:

-if you enjoy visiting the animals, the Calgary Zoo ranks right up there. It's on the LRT line so a quick train ride will put you at the gate. It's an absolutely lovely day and you will see our local flora and fauna up close and personal. (Just in case you do not see a bear or moose or mountain sheep or mountain goats along the way!)

-take a ride up the Calgary Tower. The 360 degree view is lovely and if you are not afraid to look down, the floor is clear glass so you feel like you are walking on air. There is a revolving restaurant up top as well. (Sip a shot of Whiskey and feel like a cowboy!)

-there is Fort Calgary, walking distance from your hotel, if you would like to experience a bit of early Calgary/Alberta history.

-there are some lovely walking pathways along the river. The peacefullness of the Bow River is lovely. Cast your fishing rod and experience our cool waters and fiesty trout.

-if you are driving or have access to a vehicle, a nice day trip is to explore our pre-historic sites at Drumheller. The landscape and beauty of Dinosaur Park are very unique and the museum rates right up there.

-the Glenbow Museum is right downtown and it too is worth a visit. A new permanent exhibit depicting some interesting Alberta personalities has recently opened.

-another nice day trip is to take a drive west (without entering Banff) and experience the beauty of Kananaskis Country. It is much more peaceful, less people and the majesty of our Rockies are savoured even more (in my opinion). There are some lovely hiking/walking trails. If you are a golfer, the two golf courses are ranked tops in the world. Well worth it.

-a visit to Canada Olympic Park if you are the adventure type will provide you with an opportunity to go zip-lining and race down the luge track. There are also some wonderful mountain biking trails. There is also a lovely teahouse at the top.

It's unfortunate that you are not visiting us during the Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth--the famous Calgary Stampede! Next time. ;)

I would suggest doing a search on your favorite search engine and look up some information at Travel Alberta. (I'm sorry, I do not have the link at my ready.)

Enjoy your visit and stay in our hometown!

Sandy

Archived