Hair Braiding for My Daughter?

loladuvall

My daughter had corn rows put in just in the front...back was left down. They put the beads at the top of the braid so they looked like a head band. The braids looked great and she looked adorable but she said it hurt. She did have some hair breakage too. I heard that when you remove them you should wet the hair and apply a lot of conditioner then take them out to help reduce hair breakage.

On our next cruise if she wants braids I think I'll let her just get maybe 2 on each side.....it is not worth the damage to the hair.

Thank you, I'll have to remember the conditioner if I braid her hair!

I have never suffered damage from hair braiding, nor have I noticed any in my daughter's hair. I don't use conditioner to take them out (We actually have fun taking them out dry and having 'freaky' hair for a day), but after we've washed and conditioned with the braids in a few times, I can definitely feel a buildup on the hair when it comes out. It's not enough to make the hair look greasy, but it's definitely there to touch. (also, if you leave the braids in for a couple of weeks to a month, be prepared to get LOTS of loose hairs when it comes out - these are the ones that would otherwise have accumulated in your brush, they just have nowhere to go when they're braided in) I imagine the buildup of conditioner must protect the hair in some way.

I don't think just taking the braids out would be a direct cause of any breakage, though. Most times when people do it, they're either in or visiting hot climates, and often exposing their hair to sea water, more direct sun than they're used to, and other elements that could contribute to dryness, weakness, and as a result, breakage. If the braids are particularly tight it probably also contributes.

It's definitely a good idea to practice if it's not something you've done before. I know my first few efforts (many moons ago) did not have the results that I get now! Also, to get that nice raised braid look in the cornrows, I do the frenching upside down. (you can also do this with 'big' french braids for a different look - it looks like the braid is laying on top of your hair rather than the smoother 'usual' french braid look)

I'm glad I could be a help. If there's one topic I can talk about with some experience, it's long hair!! ha ha ha

Little off topic, but... If you decide to have it done, make sure you know the price before. I have heard that it can be very expensive.

I cannot stress this point more. When we had our girls' hair braided in St. Lucia this past spring, the price quoted to us at the start was $1 per braid. By the time they finished, it was up to $2 per braid. I proceeded to put up such a fuss and attracted the attention of port employees, who demanded that the vendors accept only $1 per braid (since the cardboard sign they had hidden said $1 per braid, duh). It's the principle, after all.

There are some very dishonest people out there, unfortunately. Be careful!

Linda

Archived