Hair Braiding for My Daughter?

loladuvall

I am going on a Western Caribbean cruise in January and our first stop is Labadee, Haiti. I was thinking of getting my 4 year old daughter's hair braided there, but am wondering if it is too painful. Has anyone had experience with getting a young child's hair braided? Is Labadee a good place to have it done?

Thanks!!

I think it's pretty painful, personally.

If you do it, bring your own comb. Lice is always my biggest concern with those hair braiding places. I can't even imagine how many heads that comb has touched!

My daughters have had there hair braided many times and if they have a sensitive scalp (you'll know it if they do) it will be very painful for them. My daughters had it done on our disney ship (the corn rows) and we went to visit them in the salon. The girls were sitting very still, tears running down their faces, but they still smiled and said it was worth the pain! My other DD with very sens. scalp was MAD and said never again!! We've had it done in Jamaica and Labadee too, just watch a few and see if they are doing a good job and choose that one. The one done on the islands were probably better done (tighter) and tightness is key cause they last longer. Their island done ones lasted a few days longer than our cruise and they wore it at home too. They just shampooed the braids and scalp gently.

Years ago, I went to Jamaica with a boyfriend when it was cool for guys to have tails--a truly horrible fad.:D He had his "tail" braided and wanted me to get my hair braided. I took one look at the tightness of the braids and the uncoated rubber bands and said no way, it will break my hair. Sure enough, when he took the braids out, there was breakage. On the plus side, he had to cut off the hideous "tail". I would just urge you to be careful that their hair isn't damaged by tight braids and uncoated rubber bands. If you have a regular hair stylist, she/he might be able to advise you about the risk of hair damage from the braiding and how to avoid damage.

I think it would be too painful for a 4 year old. If she wants to have it done, maybe have them do 2 small "accent" braids. Be very careful, though, they will want to do more and can be very pushy. They may also tell you one price before they braid and another after they finish-be very clear from the beginning. If you decide to have the corn rows done - take good sunscreen. Many people forget about this and end up with a child with a severely sun-burned scalp!

I have extremely long hair. When I am in the islands I keep it pulled up under and hat and the hair braiders leave me alone.

I worry about ruining my hair, but also about sanitation. One scratch from a filthy comb and you could get a bad infection.

Also I've been told that the hair braiders enjoy hurting visitors. Pain and price.

With all of the posts about how painful this can be, I would wait to get it done until your daughter is old enough to make the choice for herself. A couple more years and she'll be able to decide if it's worth the pain.

Thank all of you very much and you have helped me decide to wait. I plan on taking my DD on many more cruises, so if she wants to give it a try when she's older, we'll tackle it then. :eek:

Thanks a million, I'm relatively new to CC, and very blown away by the mounds of information and advice here.

If you really want her to have braids for the cruise, try an "ethnic" hairdresser in your area - then you won't have to worry about health issues or being taken over the coals with price - also won't have to waste precious vacation time either.

My daughter is now 9 and has had her hair braided many times and has never complained. This summer she had it done in St. Maatren. The prices in St Maarten and St Thomas were $2.00 a braid. They started off by making teeny, tiny braids. I asked them to make them thicker, and she still ended up with 27 braids! I paid $50 and know that I was ripped off, but she loved it and looked adorable. Next time I will tell them the maximum number of braids that I want before they start and I will request that I want THICK braids!

My daughter had her hair braided at the age of 8 in Florida. It was a 'half head' design and she was very brave having them put in, although it was very painful for her. The sun caught her scalp and although she didn't burn, it was bizarre looking at her tanned scalp and parting lines!

She looked beautiful, and her hair was easy to manage during our holiday. Jumping in and out of the pool didn't dislodge her braids and she only needed to run a comb through her lower hair. Washing her hair was quite difficult as the shampoo needed properly rubbing in, and extra rinsing with clean water was needed.

When the braids were removed (it lasted about 8 days) her hair was dreadful. It had gone very dry and her hair had broken and snapped. She was 'frizzy' for several months and the only way to get rid of it was to let it grow out and have regular cuts. And we use top quality shampoos and conditioners! Even the best hair products can't disguise broken hair.

It's up to you for your daughter, but I wouldn't encourage my daughter to go through it again. On a recent holiday, we discussed having it done again but she declined.

Oh, and I've just remembered a critical issue - her scalp was pulled so tight, that she had major trouble sleeping. When she put her head on her pillow, it added to the tightness and she was most uncomfortable. This didn't seem to get any better for the whole time her braids were in place, and when they were taken out, she suffered from major itching (not due to nits or infection, just the relief to her scalp).

For what it's worth, my daughter is a very relaxed and laid back child, and she is aware of the consequences of her actions. She isn't soft and doesn't 'play up'. But I think if you asked her directly, she'd tell you that although braiding looks good, it isn't very practical and the long term affects are not worth the short-lived glamour.

HTH.

Tre.

My two DD's have had it done numerous times staring when they were just two. They always wanted everytime we have been to the caribbean. A couple of pieces of advise: 1) use the on shore local vendors and negotiate the price up front (not per braid, but how much for the whole job). You will find them able to negotiate considerably for each child. If you have more then one, you will get a better bargain. 2) watch a couple of kids get it done and then you will know what you want (just a few, all over, etc.). You will also get to see the quality of the work and the fun the kids can have. The closer the braids are to the scalp, the more the child will feel the pull. 3) we have used a salon to have the braids removed after we get back. the easiest way is to cut the rubber bands and then slowly undo the braids. Although my girls will complain that it hurts when we do it, they salon seem to be able to do it painlessly (i think it is in their head). 4) like someone else said, use sun screen. Their fresh scalp will burn. 5) after you take it out, it is like using tiny rollers in your hair. It will be kinky for a week or two until it goes back to its normal level of curl.

In summary, my kids always want to have it done and enjoy coming back and showing it off to their friends.

My DD had it done in Antigua, hair almost to her waist, she was almost attacked by the braiders! The cost was very high 10 yrs ago! LOTS of braids. She wanted it done for formal night. We dressed, had pics, ate, went back to room, she cried from the headache and we took them all out before the show!!! What a waste of money!!!! I would suggest, as several others did, only a few braids and none close to the scalp. Sure they looked cute but they were not worth the pain to her or the cost to me.

Just get her a tattoo....much less painful and you don't have to worry about the whole hair breakage thing!!:D

LOL! Now that's an idea... it would last longer too.

Seriously that makes a good point, if the hair braiding is more painful than a tattoo I probably won't subject my 4YO to a head full of braids.

Thanks!

LOL! Now that's an idea... it would last longer too.

Seriously that makes a good point, if the hair braiding is more painful than a tattoo I probably won't subject my 4YO to a head full of braids.

Thanks!

You know as one of the previous posters stated earlier about ethnic braiders. If you are really interested in having her hair braided, why don't you ask around your home town. There are people who actually braid without any pain and they do an excellant job. When I cruise, I think all the little girls look nice with their hair braided. My daughter will be going with me on her first cruise and she wants her hair braided. But luckily I have a cousin that braids and she never braids tight. But if you check around your hometown I am sure you will find someone that will give you what you want without hurting your daughter.

I've been braiding my own hair for decades. Whenever I go on a holiday where I expect to be doing any kind of swimming or activities where I'll need my hair tied back a lot, I just braid it before I leave and it makes for a much easier holiday. I've been doing the same for my daughter since our first 'major' trip to Disneyworld when she was five. I also did my neice's hair when she was about eight or nine.

I am in agreement with the poster that suggested finding a salon to do it at home before you go. I've had long hair for so long that doing things like this is just second nature to me, so I don't really think about it, but people tell me it's not as easy as I make it out to be! ha ha ha But for me, the hours it takes to do her hair or mine just isn't time I want to spend sitting and otherwise doing nothing while I'm on a trip I've paid a lot of money for. Also, when I do it at home, we go to the store and pick out beads and anything else we might want to incorporate. This year my daughter had glow in the dark beads. It was fantastic when we went on rides at the parks and her hair glowed! ha ha ha

As far as how long to leave it in and how to keep it clean, I usually leave it for about a month. We're caucasion, so as our hair grows, it starts to get 'fuzzy' at the top around the cornrows and the braid bases, and if you leave it in too long, those bits will turn into knots that are impossible to untangle. Washing the hair is actually fairly simple. When it's all in braids like that, only the outside of the hair is actually getting dirty from the environment, and since you're not brushing it, you're not distributing the natural oils through the hair as usual. Shampoo and condition as if the braids were individual hairs and massage the scalp as usual, especially in the parts. If you're going to be outside, use sunscreen as a backup (which for us also helps with the 'fuzzies'), and wear a hat. If you're in an environment where sunburn is a risk, I always think it's best to wear a hat anyway.

Braids are fun and they make such a huge difference in convenience, especially if sometimes your daughter isn't that keen on having her hair brushed before she gets to do the 'fun' stuff. I think the only way age comes into it is really whether your child is ready to sit still for the time it takes to do the braiding.

Also, when I do it at home, we go to the store and pick out beads and anything else we might want to incorporate. This year my daughter had glow in the dark beads. It was fantastic when we went on rides at the parks and her hair glowed! ha ha ha

Thanks!! you had a lot of good information! I have a question about doing your own braids. I can braid hair and have done my own in several small braids before. Is there something special that you have to do to make sure the braids last all week / month? I've never tried to keep them in longer than a couple of days.

Thanks!!

Well, my hair has always been very long, so once it's braided, it's pretty much 'in there'. I don't get little pieces poking out or anything like that... at least I never have before... I had a foot cut off to donate to cancer wigs for kids and they sort of layered it... now I don't know what will happen!!

I basically do the front section in cornrows, very thin, then the back I have my husband help me part in a nice pattern and just braid it in small braids. They take a while, but the smaller ones definitely keep better. I use waxed dental floss on the ends to secure it... We usually do three beads - I put two on and pull them up the braid, then I add a third and use it as an 'anchor'... I fold the hair up and wrap the floss around it so that the bead is held there and stops the others from coming off... and they hide the floss. The wax makes the floss stick to itself to make it easier to tie on, then it just washes out and leaves the soft string on your hair.

To keep the fuzz down, I use sunscreen when I'm in a sunny place and hair gel or mousse when I'm not. Did I answer your question somewhere in there? ha ha ha :p

I do think a local ethnic salon would be the best place. There isn't too much sanitation going on in the islands!

Between infections and lice I really wouldn't chnace it...just watch in between clients on the beach - tell me the combs and hands are clean!

Good luck!

I agree with Canadian, if you know how to put them in they will last. I believe that when you are going to be swimming or on the go constantly, braids are the way to go. And to wash your hair while braided is very easy. In fact my hair will definitly be braided my next cruise. On my last cruise, I did not braid which means I had to pack extra stuff like curling irons. And also for formal nights if you want, you can take your braids and pin them up.:)

My daughter had corn rows put in just in the front...back was left down. They put the beads at the top of the braid so they looked like a head band. The braids looked great and she looked adorable but she said it hurt. She did have some hair breakage too. I heard that when you remove them you should wet the hair and apply a lot of conditioner then take them out to help reduce hair breakage.

On our next cruise if she wants braids I think I'll let her just get maybe 2 on each side.....it is not worth the damage to the hair.

Well, my hair has always been very long, so once it's braided, it's pretty much 'in there'. I don't get little pieces poking out or anything like that... at least I never have before... I had a foot cut off to donate to cancer wigs for kids and they sort of layered it... now I don't know what will happen!!

I basically do the front section in cornrows, very thin, then the back I have my husband help me part in a nice pattern and just braid it in small braids. They take a while, but the smaller ones definitely keep better. I use waxed dental floss on the ends to secure it... We usually do three beads - I put two on and pull them up the braid, then I add a third and use it as an 'anchor'... I fold the hair up and wrap the floss around it so that the bead is held there and stops the others from coming off... and they hide the floss. The wax makes the floss stick to itself to make it easier to tie on, then it just washes out and leaves the soft string on your hair.

To keep the fuzz down, I use sunscreen when I'm in a sunny place and hair gel or mousse when I'm not. Did I answer your question somewhere in there? ha ha ha :p

You were definitely a great help! Thank you so much. I think I'll practice braiding her hair a couple of times to see how I do. Honestly I've braided hair a thousand times, but I thought there was some trick to get the braids to stay for a long time. Thanks for letting secret out! ;)

Archived