All things Monarch of the Seas

I've read on another thread that jeans are allowed in the dining rooms on casual nights on Royal Caribbean. Is that true? Is that ok on Monarch? My husband & son would love it not to have to wear "nice" pants & be able to wear their jeans (no holes, etc, ofcourse), but don't want them to be turned away either!

We frequently use Super Shuttle and they have been great for us. We generally pickup our luggage and walk out of the terminal, cross the street and walk to the left about 50-75 yards and get to the Super Shuttle stand. When we get there we give the attendent our reservation number and then wait for the bus. Usually we wait about five minutes and then we are off to the pier. We generally get to the pier right around 11 am.

Thanks so much, that's just what we needed to hear. We plan to use them r/t to and from the airport.

I've read on another thread that jeans are allowed in the dining rooms on casual nights on Royal Caribbean. Is that true? Is that ok on Monarch? My husband & son would love it not to have to wear "nice" pants & be able to wear their jeans (no holes, etc, ofcourse), but don't want them to be turned away either!

We were on the Monarch in may and seen people in jeans and shorts in the dining room.

Service is still top notch, but missed Danney, and Trudy was also gone that week.

No, she wasn't. We were on the weekend right before you and she was there, and some friends of ours were onboard last weekend and saw her.:confused:

She might have been really swamped (as opposed to her normal level of being swamped) that week.

No, she wasn't. We were on the weekend right before you and she was there, and some friends of ours were onboard last weekend and saw her.:confused:

She might have been really swamped (as opposed to her normal level of being swamped) that week.

And who are these lovely people?

I'm going on a 3 day to Ensenada, I was wanting to get a massage there with my wife. Does anyone know of a good place there? And how much do I expect to pay? Thanks.

Feel free to throw out any suggestions to do while I'm there as well.:)

Why not stick with the spa on the ship...and if you get a chance the bartending excursion at Papas and Beer was a ton of fun when we went a couple months ago

Because for $50 you can get a fabulous full hour massage in town at Massage & Facial Care instead of paying $100+ for a mere 50 minutes!:D We've been going there for a couple of years now, and have graduated to the 90 minutes sessions (note: do NOT drink copious amounts of water immediately prior:eek: ).

It's located at 743 Avenida Lopez Mateo, which is the main drag in town. If you're walking, just go over the bridge, turn right, go up to Lopez Mateo, cross the street and turn left. It's about 5-6 long blocks, half a flight down behind a white iron fence. There's another one on Calle Miramar, but we prefer the first location because it's a bit quieter - the other one is next to a restaurant with a mariachi band and the soundproofing isn't what it could be. Email Dean Tinney at spatherapy@hotmail.com to make an appointment.

Will Trudy still be there next week when we are on the Monarch? I would sure love to see her!

We just got off the Monarch yesterday and the husband of one of the couples at our table actually wore shorts to dinner in the dining room even on formal night. They were already seated when we came in so I didn't realize it until we were all leaving the dining room that night. So while it didn't spoil our dinner, I was surprised that he wasn't turned away at the door.

Will Trudy still be there next week when we are on the Monarch? I would sure love to see her!

She signs off on July 25, so you will indeed get to see her!

We just got off the Monarch yesterday and the husband of one of the couples at our table actually wore shorts to dinner in the dining room even on formal night. They were already seated when we came in so I didn't realize it until we were all leaving the dining room that night. So while it didn't spoil our dinner, I was surprised that he wasn't turned away at the door.

Nobody gets turned away on Monarch.:) We saw people coming into the dining room at 9:30 :mad:on formal night and they still were served a full dinner.

Nobody gets turned away on Monarch.:) We saw people coming into the dining room at 9:30 :mad:on formal night and they still were served a full dinner.

I commented to our tablemates that I was surprised that the folks at the next table who came in at 8:55 were still served a full dinner. That can't be easy on the waiters......just a little inconsiderate in my opinion but they were the only 2 who ever showed up at that 6 top so I guess they thought it didn't matter.

BTW - it was really easy to see why so many folks enjoy the Monarch so much. It almost felt like the Rhapsody felt in Galveston. It was a great cruise.....just way too short!

Just back from the Monarch last week and had a great time! Our head waiter came by our table the first night and just about begged everyone to come to formal night. He said formal attire is NOT REQUIRED, casual attire just fine. I thought that was strange, but that's exactly what he said.

BTW, I thought the food in the Windjammer was great and was so impressed by the service there. The Windjammer manager came by our table to check on us just about everytime we ate there. This was my first RCL cruise and I'd never seen that kind of service in the buffet area, I'm hooked on RCL!

I'm a complete convert to the WJ. The food is fresher, it's usually quieter and the crew there are wonderful! The dining room people are terrific, but there aren't enough of them and they are hard pressed just to serve everything. I still like to get to know them a little bit, and they don't have any time to chat any more.

They want to fill the dining room to improve their chances at getting decent tips, I think. On the three nighters especially, they get stiffed a lot.:mad:

Because for $50 you can get a fabulous full hour massage in town at Massage & Facial Care instead of paying $100+ for a mere 50 minutes!:D We've been going there for a couple of years now, and have graduated to the 90 minutes sessions (note: do NOT drink copious amounts of water immediately prior:eek: ).

It's located at 743 Avenida Lopez Mateo, which is the main drag in town. If you're walking, just go over the bridge, turn right, go up to Lopez Mateo, cross the street and turn left. It's about 5-6 long blocks, half a flight down behind a white iron fence. There's another one on Calle Miramar, but we prefer the first location because it's a bit quieter - the other one is next to a restaurant with a mariachi band and the soundproofing isn't what it could be. Email Dean Tinney at spatherapy@hotmail.com to make an appointment.

Thanks so much critterchick! That's awesome. I will be making a reservation after this message. Whoo hooo!!!:D

Just back from the Monarch last week and had a great time! Our head waiter came by our table the first night and just about begged everyone to come to formal night. He said formal attire is NOT REQUIRED, casual attire just fine. I thought that was strange, but that's exactly what he said.

BTW, I thought the food in the Windjammer was great and was so impressed by the service there. The Windjammer manager came by our table to check on us just about everytime we ate there. This was my first RCL cruise and I'd never seen that kind of service in the buffet area, I'm hooked on RCL!

You probably met Sheldon. He's one of a kind. I'm so happy for him and all of the promotions he has received. He now goes between the Windjammer manager and assistant Maitre'd positions. My mom and dad said they ran into him at the windjammer, he was now the manager (they cruised 6/16), and I'm so happy for my dear friend Sheldon. :)

May I ask about dinner in the WJ, do you find that they serve the same menu as what is being served in the main dining room? We leave this Friday and I am already hearing moaning and groaning that we have late dining from some of our group since early was booked and we have a large party of 14. I do not know if all of us are even going to eat together, but the people we will dine with are the ones that like to eat earlier and I personally enjoy a 7pm time frame. I love eating in the main dining room and enjoy all the courses although a small serving of the entree would be great with me. The thing I do not like about a buffet is that food is not hot and the people you are dining with are always getting up to get their food. So long story, short do you think I should suggest we go to WJ for dinner or should I not mention it to the others? We did use the buffet area on Azamara one night and had a very pleasant experience. Most of our cruises of late have had anytime dining. Thanks for the input.

Anything I should look for this weekend? I haven't been on this ship in years.

What type of weather should we expect on the Monarch itinerary? Is it warm enough for swimming? We are going next week.

Yeah its warm enough now. We're expected to have highs in the 80s-90s. The weather is perfect for cruising now. :)

May I ask about dinner in the WJ, do you find that they serve the same menu as what is being served in the main dining room? We leave this Friday and I am already hearing moaning and groaning that we have late dining from some of our group since early was booked and we have a large party of 14. I do not know if all of us are even going to eat together, but the people we will dine with are the ones that like to eat earlier and I personally enjoy a 7pm time frame. I love eating in the main dining room and enjoy all the courses although a small serving of the entree would be great with me. The thing I do not like about a buffet is that food is not hot and the people you are dining with are always getting up to get their food. So long story, short do you think I should suggest we go to WJ for dinner or should I not mention it to the others? We did use the buffet area on Azamara one night and had a very pleasant experience. Most of our cruises of late have had anytime dining. Thanks for the input.

Anything I should look for this weekend? I haven't been on this ship in years.

The serve most of the same food that is in the dining room in the Windjammer in the evenings... they open at 6:30 for dinner.

Archived