All things Monarch of the Seas

go on there with the attitude IM GONNA PARTY! cruises are a great time but also what you make of it, you are on a mini vacation after all!!!regarding the dining it depends what your Mom chose, ask her..youd be amazed at the interesting and kind people who come from where ever that you can meet at a huge table, old and young! ., be positive! reg Ensenada, we ve not been in years, but maybe you can do what my sister and I do, our own thing! just tell your mom youre gonna do your own thing too; often we just go on and do our thing, we go to shops, bars , certain sites of interest,the beaches, ,etc...and, right at times the entertainment and "games" can be alittle , I dont know,to be polite dated or not for everyone, but youll surely find some bar area or thing that will keep your interest up! so go on, & have a great time, you will see ,you will! we ve never had a bad cruise! Beatrice in Sta Monica

Ensenada has some nice museums and they are within walking distance of the ship. There is also a malecon (sea promenade) that takes you to the famous fish market. More than enough to do without a tour. Also you will be less of a mark for the hawkers if you are not with a tour bus. The city is walkable unless your mother doesn't enjoy walking.

go on there with the attitude IM GONNA PARTY!

Well, that's the thing. I'm not into "partying". And even when I do, my idea of a party is nothing resembling what you'd find on a cruise ship. Hee hee. I think I'll have to go with the idea of "this is free, she's paying, I'll make the best of it and maybe get a tan!"

youd be amazed at the interesting and kind people

And that's the other thing. My idea of "interesting" is pretty far from the norm. I mean, what do I talk to people about? I don't have a television, I'm not interested in politics, I'm an athiest, I dislike children, I'm not married or monogamous, and all my friends are counterculture artists and freaks.

Yikes! Like I said, definitely culture shock. I'll treat it like a cultural anthropology vacation: Exploring With Middle America.

Although it may be a completely different experience than what you are used to or prefer, I think you should just be open minded to what could happen and the possibility of finding something awesome that you didn't think you would like.

You should check out this link that mohavemommy posted: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2410955890046215528VAhskd

I skimmed through it and got a good idea of some of the activities and they seem fun!

Brody, if it helps, I get along with just about anybody :D If nothing else, it can be interesting just talking about the differences between cultures, what you've been up to on the cruise, etc. If you've got a sense of humor, I'm golden. Even if it takes breaking the ice at the table with something like "So two guys walked into a bar....the third one ducked." :p

I've met all sorts of folks in the dining room, and so far, I've yet to have a bad experience. :)

The Quest is a scavanger hunt, with a very adult twist. It's hilarious to watch people during this game. A lot of times one of the item that needs to be taken to the MC is a woman's bra, so you'll see women (who you'd never think to do this) remove theirs right there and hand it to the runner! Then the men usually have to put the bra on, along with make up and shoes. Or show a tattoo, whoo hoo, didn't want to see that one LOL.

And so on :) It's very fast paced game, which adds to the hilarity.

SHHHHHHHHH.

Well, that's the thing. I'm not into "partying". And even when I do, my idea of a party is nothing resembling what you'd find on a cruise ship. Hee hee. I think I'll have to go with the idea of "this is free, she's paying, I'll make the best of it and maybe get a tan!"

And that's the other thing. My idea of "interesting" is pretty far from the norm. I mean, what do I talk to people about? I don't have a television, I'm not interested in politics, I'm an athiest, I dislike children, I'm not married or monogamous, and all my friends are counterculture artists and freaks.

Yikes! Like I said, definitely culture shock. I'll treat it like a cultural anthropology vacation: Exploring With Middle America.

You could probably add closed-minded to your list, there.

I feel your pain, though. We normally have fun meeting new people, but have had just enough bizarre or unpleasant experiences (picture me, half black, and my lily white DH dining with two skinheads and their wives, for example:eek: ) that, unless we're travelling with a group of friends, we eat in the Windjammer. We discovered that the food is better and we enjoy chatting up the waitstaff, who hail from all over the world about whatever topic pops up. You might give that a try.

If you are convinced you will have a horrible time, you will. If you accept that fact that you will meet a wide variety of interesting people, who perhaps feel differently about things than you do, and that only YOU can ruin your vacation, you will be fine. I have enjoyed all my cruises - you can do as much or as little as you like. Have a drink in the Schooner Bar and listen to the piano player, take in a show, listen to salsa music in Bolero's, climb the rock wall, play shuffleboard, trivia, or ping pong - or hey, go to the Quest, and ....smile.;)

Quest is a hoot:D - but you have to check it out yourself. For first timers, its no fun in having everyone tell you what its about as it takes the mystique out of it:cool: .

I hope BrodyQat has a good time this weekend, but with that attitude, not likely:rolleyes: . Poor mom (and tablemates):eek: .

I was on in late April and the menu has changed ever so slightly. It's still Italian night, steak night, awful night:eek: :rolleyes:

Dang it! It was awful night that I was hoping would change. I love the lamb and eggplant on Italian night and the filet on formal night. Awful night was just that!

I'd love to share dinners with you, sounds like you're bringing a lot 'to the table'. But then again, I'm from across the Bay. Have a great time and please let us know how it goes for you! :)

I cruised on Carnival last fall and loved doing their early boarding through the Queen Mary and being on board by 1:00. Is there early boarding on Monarch? If yes, how does it work? I'm cruising on the 5/30 3 night and can't wait!

They usually start boarding well before noon. We usually check in around 1:00 so that the cabins are ready when we board (1:30 or so). Otherwise we have to haul our luggage around until then. But if you want to board earlier you usually can be on by 11:00.

RCCL will start the boarding process as soon as all of the previous cruisers have left the ship. This is generally somewhere between about 11:15A and Noon. FYI - RCCL closes off the cabins until about 1P or 1:30P to allow the crew to refresh/clean the cabins before you enter them.

So while you can get on board by about Noon, you'll be dragging your carryon around with you for an hour or so before you get access to your cabin. The Windjammer will be serving Lunch though :)

Hubby and I will probably hit the parking lot around 1PM ourselves, as he has to work until noon, and it will take an hour to drive from his office to the pier and park, etc. Besides getting there later, gives us less traffic to deal with, as by then all the returning passengers should be gone.

We sail on Friday the 13th :) Two weeks after you. Have a great time.

Speaking of dining- do you know if requests for dinner tables are usually put through. This is the first time in ages we have cruised RCI and we had gotten used to the Princess Dining. I requested a table for four since I really don't enjoy being seated with others and in particular this time I am cruising with my two little ones and don't need the stress if the other tablemates aren't family friendly. We put in a request for early dining for four.

Speaking of dining- do you know if requests for dinner tables are usually put through. This is the first time in ages we have cruised RCI and we had gotten used to the Princess Dining. I requested a table for four since I really don't enjoy being seated with others and in particular this time I am cruising with my two little ones and don't need the stress if the other tablemates aren't family friendly. We put in a request for early dining for four.

When you get your SeaPass card, your table assignment will be on it. Once on board, go immediately to the dining room, the Matre 'd will be outside of it on one level or the other. They have the floor plan and you can check it to see if you have a 4-topper :) If not, that would be the time to get it changed as well.

Hubby and I have requested a large table, as we like to meet people from all over. Yessir we've had a couple of incidents where we weren't happy, but got our table changed :) But with this 3-nighter, if we aren't comfortable, then we'll eat in the Windjammer or have room service. Not long enough cruise to worry about it.

Hope that helps.

I have always had my table request for 4 honored. Not only do I request that it is for 4, but I also request that it is beside the window so we can look out. :D

We're new to CruiseCritic and just got off the Monarch. Reading this forum might have helped us plan out trip a bit better. Those who commented that the three day trip is a party cruise were correct. The partiers were there in force; drunk college girls in bikinis with digital cameras just crack me up. But we also met some Diamond Crown and Anchor members that provided valuable advice in reaching Diamond status before our Barcelona cruise in 2009.

We'll probably sale this ship again in late September 2008 in order to get Diamond status; but we also look forward to the larger ships sailing out of LA and San Diego in 2009 and beyond.

Anyone have any experiences with the spa onboard? Do you like it- were the treatments worth the inflated cruise price? Also- are you able to book ahead of time?

The treatments are good, but not worth the price IMHO. We found a great day spa in Ensenada that charges $50 for a full hour and the treatments there are wonderful. spatherapy@hotmail.com is the email address. The owner splits his time between the US and Ensenada. There are 2 locations - we prefer the one on Lopez Mateo (the main street) because the other place has a restaurant with a loud mariachi band next door, and not enough soundproofing.

As for table assignments, as Diamond Plus we're supposed to get our preference, but we do have to call C&A or the dining coordinator to put in the request. Tables meant for 2 are few and far between, plus they're in a lousy location (IMHO) sandwiched so closely between tables for 4 that you may as well be sitting at a table for 10. So we request a large table in order to increase the odds that, if we elect to eat in the dining room, we'll have a good time with somebody.

Hello All, I have been enjoying reading everything here about the Monarch. My DH and DS (11) will be going on the Monarch for the first time in July. DH and I have only been on 1 cruse before,on the Grand Princess. This is a surprise for our 10 year old's 11th b-day. I was looking for prices for the heck of it and found rates that I couldn't refuse. My question/concern that I am hoping that some of you may be able to offer some feedback on is, our cabin is on deck 3 the very first cabin forward. 3500. I am very worried about the motion. I have already resigned myself that we have a portal instead of a window. Has anyone ever stayed anywhere as close forward or as low as the 3rd deck? :confused:

Hello All, I have been enjoying reading everything here about the Monarch. My DH and DS (11) will be going on the Monarch for the first time in July. DH and I have only been on 1 cruse before,on the Grand Princess. This is a surprise for our 10 year old's 11th b-day. I was looking for prices for the heck of it and found rates that I couldn't refuse. My question/concern that I am hoping that some of you may be able to offer some feedback on is, our cabin is on deck 3 the very first cabin forward. 3500. I am very worried about the motion. I have already resigned myself that we have a portal instead of a window. Has anyone ever stayed anywhere as close forward or as low as the 3rd deck? :confused:

I would not worry about the motion at all. However.......I will warn you about coming into Avalon Harbor at Catalina Island.........where they "drop" the anchor. Without looking at your cabin number........if you are directly behind the chain locker...........it will.

Ahhhhhhhh, I just looked up your cabin number.........and Bingo.....you are right behind the chain locker, and will hear the anchor being dropped.........and the chain.........just in front of your cabin.....leaving the ship.

All of that being said.....it will only happen when you arrive at Catalina Island.............and you will hear the anchor chain.......depart.......and later in the day..........just before 5PM......you will also hear the chain being returned to it's locker.

Rick

Archived