Black House / White Market

FAR_girl

If you have one of these boutiques near you and can fit in their clothes (I think they only go up to a size 12), you might want to stop in. Clothes that are already marked down (redlined) are an additional 50% off. If you just got the mailing with the fall line, you can also use the $25 off a $100 purchase coupon on the sale items.

I got two dresses for informal nights (originally $148 and $98) and a satin skirt for a grand total of $89.

I LOVE this store. I find the cut of clothes is terrific. Shaped like a FEMALE, you know - curves, hips, waist, thighs!. I fit their size 6 perfectly, but let me tell you, I am not some shapeless twig. (Plenty of hips, thighs and butt to go around). I find that their clothes are tapered in the right places (waists) and fuller where they should be (butt and thighs), but never give that baggy look. And they are constantly getting in new stuff. I have one right by my office and stop in there frequently to check out the new items, and check on the sales. There prices sometimes can be a little pricey for basic type of stuff, but catch a sale and you get a great deal. And they always have some great shoes and accessories as well!

These stores are now wholly owned by Chico's. They became a subsidiary about a year ago. That's probably why their clothes only fit smaller sizes. Chico's clothes don't really fit plus sized women, and that's too bad because they have nice things. Another part of this is a new store called Jax Blacks. It's a store devoted to selling everything black. They have both women's and mens' clothing and housewares, all in black.

I remember when the White House first began. One of the owners was also the general manager of a large Inner Harbor hotel here. His flagship store was a big success.

We worked across the street and would buy something from there just about every week or so. Gorgeous things!

It's always a delight to step into a store and every article of clothing is white, off-white or eggshell. Surreal surroundings.

ACCagent: yes, my apologies. It is White House / Black Market.

madelinerose: it was the Inner Harbor store I went shopping in this weekend. I saw "White House" in Union Station for years but never set foot in the store until they added black. In fact, all three pieces I bought over the weekend are black or black with some white.

FAR girl....small world, isn't it?

ACCagent: yes, my apologies. It is White House / Black Market.

madelinerose: it was the Inner Harbor store I went shopping in this weekend. I saw "White House" in Union Station for years but never set foot in the store until they added black. In fact, all three pieces I bought over the weekend are black or black with some white.

GARgirl,

Thanks for the post. Some of the things look pretty nice considering how reasonably priced they are. I don't think there was a pair of pants over $88., doesn't get better than that if they fit right! And I'm happy to hear from joelmarg that the clothes fit curves. I'm also a size 6 w/ plenty of hip and butt.

Most of the jewelry looks pretty awful - better suited to 15 year olds, but some of the tops and pants look pretty good. I signed up for their catalog.

Thanks!

Jane

Had to stop by there last night after getting the bug by reading this thread. They are having a great sale. 50% off already marked down items. Got a dress for the cruise for $34 originally $98.

mbp - actually, they do have a great selection of jewelry in the store. Bought a bracelet and necklace for my 45 yr old sister yesterday. They have great dressy costume jewelry - those chandelier earring that are hot and other stuff. Hope your able to find a location near you. The web and catalog don't do it justice!

They just got a pair of black pants in that is very wrinkle resistant and could work day or night, it has a zipper on the side if you want to look for them. I am going later today, most of the clothes mix & match so they are great for travelling. Also got several things at Express because they have so many layering and mix & match options. Ann Taylor Loft is also having a promo now where you get a $25 gift card for every $50 you spend. You can use that card from 9/7-10/31 on the new fall line, one card for every $50 you spend again so basically half off.

Tanzi, you are DOING some shopping, girl! Have a ball!

I see you're from Baltimore also. Great! ;)

They just got a pair of black pants in that is very wrinkle resistant and could work day or night, it has a zipper on the side if you want to look for them. I am going later today, most of the clothes mix & match so they are great for travelling. Also got several things at Express because they have so many layering and mix & match options. Ann Taylor Loft is also having a promo now where you get a $25 gift card for every $50 you spend. You can use that card from 9/7-10/31 on the new fall line, one card for every $50 you spend again so basically half off.

There is a WH BM at Frenchmen's Reef in St. Thomas that I always taxi over to. For some reason, and I don't know why, their clothes are a bit different than stateside. Prices are always reasonable, with a nice big sale rack. Last time I was there, all of their sweaters were in baskets and they were $20 each. ;)

Tanzi, you are DOING some shopping, girl! Have a ball!

I see you're from Baltimore also. Great! ;)

Thanks! I needed fall stuff anyway so trying to make everything work together.

I live in Baltimore now, I shop at the Reisterstown Rd WH/BM, they are huge and really nice salespeople.

Side note to people with notes above worried about sizing: they cut their clothes pretty generously, normally I wear a 6 but here I am a 2.

Archived