Cruise on crutches: possible?

sandravb79

I have been on 3 cruises and there were always a few people either on crutches or in a wheelchair. They seemed to get around the ship just fine. Don't worry about it too much. Just go and have a great time!:o

I agree 1000%.

There were many folks in wheelchairs, many folks with challenges and at least three folks managing to get around on crutches.

Don't give up your vacation. Get out there and enjoy. The crew on the ship will do anything they can to assist you and make the experience as pleasant as it can possibly be.

I cruised on a 7 day on crutches with very few problems. In fact, you probably will be able to skip all the lines during embarkation. I did and it helped. Carnival suggested to me to rent the wheelchair from off ship for the week but I ended up not using one. You will get a little more tired (I was 53) and need to plan your walks around the ship.

We cancelled our cave tour in Belize and took a city tour instead. Probably the only concession I made. Aslo stayed out of the dance clubs! I even went on the Atlantis submarine in Cozumel.

So, go and have fun. All the Carnival people were wonderful. You will see on the large ships at least 6 people in wheelchairs, on crutches or with walking casts.

Long John Silver didn't have a problem with it. You might consider a patch over one eye for formal night, it could set a trend. Have a nice cruise.

Oh, I like that idea!!!!

Thanks for all the support!

I feel a lot less depressed right now, and am looking very forward to this vacation, even if we can't do what we wanted to do. I planned on dancing each night away, now I'll just drink each night away, I can live with that idea ;)

And... if I meet the man of my dreams, I can always "fall" into his arms, ha!, no more pick-up line needed ;)

I still need to buy a formal dress, and I'll try to find shoes that match it a little bit in colour, but I do need decent shoes, no fine sandals or so.

I know from experience broke my knee in three places and it took a long time to heal took crutches and brace for my knee alot of walking so used crutches alot stairs are a pain but I managed nice thing about cruises most are very curtious and will give you room to manuevre. note I could walk at the time of the cruise but had just started back so very week leg so had to spend majority on crutches leg couldn't hold up to all the walking and stairs so go and enjoy your cruise and don't let the crutches keep you from having a good time

My mom could push me around.

Where do I get the wheelchair? I sit something we can get on board, or do we have to get it from a wheelchair-rental place in port?

Call your TA and request a wheel chair. You really need it for getting on and off. I did the ship in a wheel chair, not fun. Next time was using a cane with wheelchair getting on and off. I wouldn't cancle as you can see. There is usually at least one person on the ship with crutches.

Hey all,

Monday evening, I showed the world that I am not the most elegant person in this world. I fell down the stairs. And I have a cast around my foot/ leg. And we leave on vacation in 2 weeks (first some Orlando-shopping, then a cruise, then WDW)

Has someone already been cruising while needing crutches to move?

Does anyone have advice/ tips/ whatever for me?

What can we do in Freeport/ Nassau while on crutches? (we'll be on a 4-day Sensation cruise)

Thanks a lot already! :o

Due to a bone disorder, I've used crutches, canes, walkers and wheelchairs at various times. While crutches are doable on the ship, I would really look into renting a wheelchair. I did my last cruise, to Nassau, with a cane and walking around with it was exhausting. I find crutches even more exhausting.

Some cruiselines only let you use their wheelchairs for embarking and disembarking so you might want to check.

I unfortunately have a little experience on the crutches during a cruise. After a booze cruise in St. Marteen I was walking back on the ship and tripped off the small ramp that covers the water tight doors.

Anyway, I broke my foot and had to go the remainder of the cruise on crutches. It was NOT easy especially when your not use to them then have the motion of the ship. Buffet was impossible for me to do by myself, thank goodness my family was there to help.

The cruise personal was wonderful, they brought me a wheelchair to disembark because I couldn't take their crutches off the ship. I used the airport wheelchairs to get around at the airports.

I would say if you are used to them and can walk pretty good use them if not rent a wheelchair.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Archived