Cruise on crutches: possible?

sandravb79

Hey all,

Monday evening, I showed the world that I am not the most elegant person in this world. I fell down the stairs. And I have a cast around my foot/ leg. And we leave on vacation in 2 weeks (first some Orlando-shopping, then a cruise, then WDW)

Has someone already been cruising while needing crutches to move?

Does anyone have advice/ tips/ whatever for me?

What can we do in Freeport/ Nassau while on crutches? (we'll be on a 4-day Sensation cruise)

Thanks a lot already! :o

I'm so sorry this happened to you!!! I hate to say it, but in my opinion, cruising on crutches might prove very difficult. The ship moves alot, and sometimes it's hard to walk regularly, without crutches. Most cruisers take the stairs alot, especially when debarking in port (although, this may be avoidable). It might prove hard to even open your cabin door on crutches, you have to really push hard sometimes. Walking around port may not be fun, either, and it will be HOT. Navigating in the lines for the buffets, walking around the slippery pool deck, well... you get the idea.

It's doable, but I really think it may take away from your enjoyment of your vacation, immensely.

Do you have cruise insurance? If so, I'd consider cancelling and rebooking when you aren't on crutches.

Again, I'm so sorry! Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

It isn't so easy to cancel and re-book this trip. I am going with my mom, who will help me with everything. because we also take care of our grandparents, and they are not doing so well, this will probably be the last time mom will be able to do a "big" trip.

I know it will be difficult :(

I know I won't be too comfortable, but well... if you say you have seen other people do it...

It is SO frustrating.

Do you think I need to contact Carnival to let them know about it upfront?

Will the other passengers kill me because I won't be able to wear my high heels on formal night? ;)

My husband wa on crutches for a caribbean cruise. We really didn't leave the ship much but boy was it relaxing. I do have to tell you we love the days in port when everyone leaves the ship.

not to say we didn't leave the ship but we didn't do the activities we would normally do.

Hey have fun enjoy the relaxation.!

okay, I was going to have arthroscopic knee surgery and recover on a cruise:eek::D:confused:

Well, I don't know about you, but I was uncomfortable and exhausted from using the crutches long distances. Yes, you can use a wheel chair, but then really need to carry the crutches with you to get around the nooks and crannies. Then ports, well beaches are out, walking excursions are fast paced, out, busses and taxi ok, nothing in the water...

hmn, we rescheduled ours and I was very happy as I was so tired from the work, I'm 36 and in great shape, jogging injury. So I'm really leery of encouraging it. It will definately be a down and relaxing time that won't be spent doing what you'd necessarily like and you may be frustrated by elevator time, being driven further to elevators to get where you need and a general lack of access.

On top of that, the heat, moisture, humidity with a cast.... itch, itch itch...

sorry, can't find any good in it, having been there, skipped that:o

I don't know about using one on the ship, but Carnival had some available that my mom used to embark and disembark the ship. Since your cruise is only 4 days, and if you don't really plan on getting off the ship and doing much, I would think about NOT cancelling the cruise. See if Carnival will let you use a wheelchair while on the ship, I'm sure they will, and the port day will be nice when most people will be off the ship. Im sorry about your accident! I DO think it would be pretty hard to use crutches on a ship. Not saying it couldn't be done, but certain times and places are always crowded on a ship so it might be hard to move around. Good luck!!

There is no dout that this has thrown a wrench in your plans but need not fear or cancel your cruise...modify it.

Take advantage of all services and use the crutches when you must.

First call Carnival and ask about availibilty of a wheelchair at the port and on the ship. My guess is those in wheelchairs on the ship own them or bring them. With a precription from you doctor you can go to a local equipment company and rent one for the week and just take it with you. They are often lightweight compared to the ones at the hospital/airport etc. Now look at it this way....who is always first in line...person in the wheelchair, so you will get better service. Allow xtra time from normal, its gonna take you alittle longer to get from point A to B...if you plan for that you wont get frustrated.

In port...Ive not done Freeport but in Nassau they have the horse drawn jitneys that do a city tour...could be an option. Taxis are always near by so grab one and take a tour that way. You are just gonna need to be creative in what excursion you do but there are alot of choices for those that have limited mobility.. Be positive and add alittle creativity and your gonna have a ball.

Best part....grab a chair, your fav island drink and chill, now that is not all that bad is it!!!

I cruised with a friend who was on crutches do to a job related injury (chasing a bad guy). His wife didn't understand why he would want to go on a cruise on crutches...hey you can relax on a cruise. When we arrived at the port, I asked a cruise rep. for a wheel chair. Shazzam...one appeared almost immediately. She advised our entire party to follow her. We went to a private room where she collected all of out documents, disappeared and then reappeared with our sign and sail card and room keys etc. Then to an elevator and we were first to board. Had a wheelchair for the cruise and all went smoothly. Go on the cruise and ENJOY !

:D

Hey all,

Monday evening, I showed the world that I am not the most elegant person in this world. I fell down the stairs. And I have a cast around my foot/ leg. And we leave on vacation in 2 weeks (first some Orlando-shopping, then a cruise, then WDW)

What can we do in Freeport/ Nassau while on crutches? (we'll be on a 4-day Sensation cruise)

Ahh, you poor thing, I feel so bad for you. But you will be fine, just keep practicing with those crutches. I have seen several pax with crutches, but to be fair, most of them were guys and it was a sporting accident. Perhaps you could, to "save face", say you were trying to save someone, playing a sport and or anything else you can come up with :eek:

I will send special thoughts your way. Have a wonderful cruise, you will be just fine, just keep practicing with those crutches. Make sure you get a wheelchair ordered before you fly and when you get on your ship get one there too. You do not need to use those crutches when you can use a wheelchair.

My last cruise I saw one guy on crutches and a lady in a wheelchair with a broken legs, so yes have fun. I would say just relax and have a Stella Artois, but alas they don't have any Belgium brew:eek: Anyway, you will have fun on the ship and at WDW.

Hey all,

I've seen folks on crutches on cruise ships before. Some had sustained an injury such as yours prior to boarding, and some even sustained the injury while on the cruise and were treated by the ship's doctor.

I've also seen folks on cruises who were permanently disabled in one way or another and were restricted to a wheel chair.

In all of those situations, these folks managed and were able to get around the ship. There are elevators all over the place going to all levels. While you may not be able to negotiate yourself to all areas of the ship, you will be able to do most of them.

Sorry for your injury, but you should still be able to enjoy the vast majority of your cruise. You can still eat in the restaurant, sit by the pool, watch the entertainment (some of the ships even have areas set aside for those in wheelchairs), go to events on board, and most ashore.

It's a bit of an inconvenience, but it beats staying home.

BnB

Have a good time.

I was forced to be on crutches for most of a weeklong cruise in the 90's after I injured myself on the 2nd day.

It's doable but a pain in the neck, just be glad you're not sailing on a mega ship as everything will seem to be much further away than normal.

You can rent a wheelchair from the infirmary but it is way cheaper to rent one on land for the use of your vacation.

Don't let the crutches cramp your style, with some minor adjustments you can still have a great time.

If it were me i would break out the yellow book and find a medical supply place that rents wheel chairs. look into a small electric travel scooter might be a little pricey to rent but you can get around alot better independently also be prepared to crutch your way around the boat you cant bring your chair into the showroom, dinner, ect.(you need to park the chair outside the doors.) also you probibly wont find a excursion that you can bring a chair on.My wife is in a scooter we still have a great time on our cruises. I hope you have a great time!

You can request a wheelchair right at embarkation, you may even get priority boarding. The infirmiry also has wheelchairs, my mom needed one after breaking her ankle in Grand Cayman :( .

The handicapped room is a great idea, or at the very least, make sure you are closer to the elevators, if you can. It's a loooooong walk down those hallways sometimes.

We rented one from a medical supply store here at home. It was $25 for the week!!! Grandpa had a bad hip and it didn't stop him. We even took him to the beach. There was actually a beach wheelchair at the beach!!! Go and have a great time!!!

Thank you so much for all the advice and support!

I will contact Carnival tomorrow (the phone is out of my reach, and I don't have the reservation details here, will have to wait until someone gets back at home and can help me)

I feel already a lot less depressed right now, thanks so much!

At this point, my biggest concern is: what about shoes for formal night, argh... I might just wear my bright pink Disney Crocs ;)

Thank you so much for all the advice and support!

I will contact Carnival tomorrow (the phone is out of my reach, and I don't have the reservation details here, will have to wait until someone gets back at home and can help me)

I feel already a lot less depressed right now, thanks so much!

At this point, my biggest concern is: what about shoes for formal night, argh... I might just wear my bright pink Disney Crocs ;)

All injured passengers are exempt from formal wear on their feet LOL. I do not think your idea is that funny. I would think you would want to indicate that you do have an injured foot and if you go near it, I will hit you with my crutch or run over yours with my wheel chair, or my DH will do it :eek:

Have a wonderful cruise, you will be fine. Perhaps not the one you had hoped for, but you will be on the sea, on a cruise, I think you will have a lot of fun.

Long John Silver didn't have a problem with it.

You might consider a patch over one eye for formal night, t could set a trend. Have a nice cruise.

Apparently you have not read the rules regarding "eye patches on formal night". They must be bejeweled. I thought you knew that ;)

Archived