Just Back!-Mercury Alaska 8/20-8/27

poma

We just got back from this cruise! It was awesome. I will be posting a review later this week. If anyone has any questions just ask and I will try to answer them for you. We are both 47, brought our 2 teenagers ages 17 and 13 and my 73 year old parents.

Lorrie

Hi Lorrie,

We get on the Mercury Friday in Vancouver. I'm in the final stages of my packing and wondered if you can give me some idea how the weather was?

I've been trying to stay consistent with the layering idea but am I safe with long sleeve knit shirts or did you find yourself too warm?

I'm glad to hear your had such a good time. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself.

Linda

Hey, we're also boarding Mercury on Friday-- look for us & say HI, my husband & I are both 6'+ tall & 50ish, our first Celebrity cruise. We previously cruised on Princess. We were on an Alaskan cruise before & only needed a light waterproof jacket for cool evenings or possible rain. But if you're from warmer climates, you might need another layer. (We're from BC)

Hi magreg. We are also boarding on Friday. Linda above is already friends. We have a large thread going under Rollcalls. Stop by and say hi. We already have 28 signed up for the Celebrity Party but 2 more are always welcome. See if you can still signup. We are Alan & Eileen and live about 20 miles from Linda & Tony in the SF Bay area.

The temperature was in the low 70's just about everyday. I only wore shorts one day. Wore pants, short sleeve shirt, and usually a fleece when out on deck. Definitely a jacket for when you cruise Hubbard Glacier. It was really windy and cold. Light gloves would be good also. Wind pants are good for on board too! I only wore long sleeves one time. Just layer your clothes and you will be fine. We lucked out on the weather. It never rained once!

Lorrie

We had table #536. It seated 8 people, was located on the lower level of the restaurant, in the center. Was not near the windows. Our waiter was Vladimir, he was fantastic! The assistant waiter was Randy, he was great also. The food was good every night. The breakfasts were limited. We preferred the buffet in the morning, better selection and quicker. We had lunch a couple of times in the dining room. The food was okay, service a little slow. We usually opted for the sandwich bar, burgers, or the buffet. There is a great choice of food all over the ship! My parents ate almost all their meals in the Manhattan restaurant and seemed to like them all.

Lorrie

Sorry we never did get to the CC party! But Lorrie is right, it was a wonderful cruise. I ended up being HOT in Juneau even in shorts and a t-shirt! Although I put my sweater back on when we hiked near Mendenhall Glacier. In any case, here's some selected photos --

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/album?.dir=9645&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeffcoud2/my_photos

I highly, HIGHLY recommend doing the Misty Fjords floatplane excursion in Ketchikan. What an incredible experience. I thought I would be afraid of flying in that little plane but it was no problem at all. We landed on a remote lake and walked around a small island in the middle of the water....wow, that is what wilderness really is. The X excursion for this was sold out, so we booked it right on the dock when we got there.

Our time at Hubbard Glacier was incredible, we got very close and it was calving plenty. We stayed on the balcony with our hot coffee for that!

Oh, we had table 514 in the lower level, first seating, with Walter from Honduras as our waiter. He was fab. This table was near the middle and we had a good view out the back windows...maybe 15-20 feet from the Captain's table.

Jeff

Linda:

If I may put my 2 cents in? We were on the Visions to Alaska a few weeks ago and did the Misty Fijords Floatplane. See if you can get a Great Alaskan Coupon Book when you are in your first port. They are $100, however, they have a 2 for 1 coupon in the book. At $199 each that is worth buying the book for. You may even use some of the other coupons. We did that. Have fun. It is an awesome cruise! BTW--when we made reservations, we told them we had a coupon. They did not ask for the book number.

Thanks for sharing the photos. they are great!

We too were on this cruise, and what a great chioce for our first cruise!

The weather was great the whole trip, we only needed our jackets a couple of times. I wish that I would have packed some more shorts.

We were late dining table 635, upper level, right next to the stairs, Paul was our waiter, he was great.

We were in room 8241, deck 8, inside room. It was nice, plenty of storage, didn't spend alot of time there.

As for excursions, we went to the Mendenhall Glacier (amazing) and we went Halibut Fishing in Ketchikan, I booked this myself, but when they changed the times we were in Ketchikan, I didn't leave us much time to fish, we did however catch 2 nice fish. The only thing I would do different is NOT ship any fish home. VERY expensive!!

The food was great, and the staff very friendly....

We didn't see everything that we wanted to see, so we are going back next year!!

Any questions, please feel free to ask....

Misty

Archived