Seeking information re: Cruise ship health/safety regulatory agency

CruisinOnWheels

I am trying to find out the organization that establishes & inforces health & safety regulations for cruise ships.

Specifically I need to find out what organization establishes occupancy ratings for the various rooms on a cruise ship once she is built.

I have evidence I need to send in of a potentially serious safety violation from a recent cruise.

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) monitors shipboard sanitation.

Try this link:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/default.htm

I'm not sure who sets occupancy limits, but you might address your questions to the CDC. I e-mailed them some questions a few years ago about the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) and they replied quickly.

If they don't have the answers, they may be able to suggest options.

Good luck,

cigal

I have evidence I need to send in of a potentially serious safety violation from a recent cruise.

If you wish to make the information available to others who cruise, follow the instructions on this page. Go to the root directory to find other relevant pages.

Are you referring to public areas or cabins? I've never seen an occupancy limit sign on any room on a ship such as you will find at hotel ballrooms, theaters, etc. Incidentally, those limits are set by the fire department. The two US government entities that deal with cruise ships are the Coast Guard and National Transportation Safety Board.

United States Public Health - CDC and

United States Coast Guard (for ships that enter U.S. ports).

Canada has similar agencies.

I have no clue about European/Asian/South American/Australian/Africa etc inspections/oversight of cruise ships that enter their ports.

Did you discuss your concern while you were aboard? Did you seek and explanation for whatever it is that worries you?

I am trying to find out the organization that establishes & inforces health & safety regulations for cruise ships.

Specifically I need to find out what organization establishes occupancy ratings for the various rooms on a cruise ship once she is built.

This can be a little tricky as it is not so much the actual cabin itself but also the total amount of passengers on board. Ports have limits as the amount of passengers that can disembark. If the ship has reached the limit, even if you are in a cabin that can accomodate 3 and only have 2 in there, you will not be allowed to add a 3rd pax. Bermuda is especially strict in this regard. Cruise lines will not build many cabins that will hold more than 4, and NCL doesn't even allow 4 anymore in their balcony cabins. The cruise lines determine how many pax per cabin.

May I ask what was it you saw that disturbed you so much that you feel you need to report it? It must have been pretty bad.

Here is a link to the Coast Guard which explains pretty much what you need to know to go to the next step

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/cruiseship.htm

Archived