New to P&O - Advice would be nice!!!

jenniwreni

Hi all, (apologies if I go on a bit!!)

Well, after some time of waiting, my other half finally popped the question and with wedding arrangements in full flow, the time has come to discuss the honeymoon. Apart from one room in our house now resembling a travel agents, we have more than likely made a decision to cruise again.

The Ventura's "Spirit of the Caribbean" in October next, has leapt out at us, with it incorporating a flavour of the caribbean, which we have not yet experienced, done together with a transatlantic crossing, (which we thoroughly enjoyed on the QM2 (which is where he proposed, :D bless him!)).

So, what you can tell me about P&O? I have a long list of questions, which have probably been asked numerous times on this thread, and yes, I have the brochure to hand, but a brochure is the company's view, and I would rather have previous cruisers views, much more reliable!!

So.... for starters, heres a few questions....

Whats the ratio of formal/semi formal/stylish casual for a 14 night sailing?

Are the restuarants that are "out of bounds" if you havent paid top wack?!

On the QM2, I have previously purchased a "soda fountain package" on my first night, and then all non alcoholic drinks purchased thereafter are "free", does such a package exist with P&O?

Is tipping automatically put onto your onboard account?

If you were to visit one of the several bars/cafes and ordered food and drinks, would the drinks be classed as included, or would these need to be paid for along with the food?

Finally.............would you go on this cruise for you honeymoon????

Whoops - it seems like all my questions are money based, but, well, when your planning a wedding, its all you seem to ask people, how much is this, how much is that!!!

Thanks in anticipation for your advice!

Jenni :)

Hi Jenni

I can answer a couple of your questions.

You can use any and all of the restaurants onboard Ventura, there are a couple that you have to pay for.

Drinks in bars and restaurants would have to be paid for.

I think a cruise would make a great honeymoon.

Drink is usually paid for

If you were to visit one of the several bars/cafes and ordered food and drinks, would the drinks be classed as included, or would these need to be paid for along with the food?

Sorry, this should have read "is the FOOD included and you pay for the drinks only"

Thanks Elaine!!

There's usually just 2 or 3 restaurants on the P&O ships you have to pay an extra supplement for. We never usually bother with them if we're enjoying the food in the main restaurant. The only time we went to Rhodes on Arcadia, we were on 1st sitting,Acapulco,New Years Eve. Who wants to eat at 6.30!!!!

You pay for coffee and tea in the bars through the day but can get it free in the self service restaurants.

P&O don't have the same "class" system thing that Cunard has. Everyone is treated the same no matter what they pay.

They don't have a scheme for paying for drinks in advance. You just sign for whatever you purchase and get a bill a the end of your cruise - they give you a preliminary bill halfway through (not to be paid then) so you can see how much you're spending!

The only free drinks you get will be at the Captain's welcome reception party where you must try and drink as many glasses of champagne as you can in the short space of time you are there!!!

Did someone say they had stopped serving champagne and just do wine and spirits or did I have a bad dream!???!

Hello Jenni,

Just off the Arcadia 14 night cruise. Dress codes were

4 Formal

4 Semi Formal (Men wear tie and jacket, ladies as usual, dress up)

6 Smart casual (Open neck shirt for men)

There are, so far, no Soda Fountain cards on P & O.

Tipping is not automatically added to your bill, you tip whoever you think requires a tip, room steward, waiters etc.

This is a fantastic way to spend a honeymoon. If we were starting all over again, we would certainly do it.

Jimmy

thank you so much for your advice, Im ( i would say we, but as usual, all the planning etc comes down the woman!!!) getting quite excited about this now!!

Will be good to have something to look forward to a while after the wedding too, instead of getting it all done in a few weeks!!

Hopefully see you on the Ventura next year (h2b permitting!!):rolleyes:

Jenni

thank you so much for your advice, Im ( i would say we, but as usual, all the planning etc comes down the woman!!!) getting quite excited about this now!!

Will be good to have something to look forward to a while after the wedding too, instead of getting it all done in a few weeks!!

Hopefully see you on the Ventura next year (h2b permitting!!):rolleyes:

Jenni

Hi Jenni,

Just to correct one of the pieces of information, on the repositioning cruise to Barbados, where you fly back there are no informal nights. Therefore you have 4 formal and 10 smart casual. This is to save weight on the flights.

We have done Arcadia and the Arcadian Rhodes was excellent and so was the Orchid. They have their equivalents on Ventura and I am sure they will be equally as good.

Honeymoon on Ventura - Magic:)

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived