some more newbie questions

Madkitty

now the last cruise is over Im getting excited about Ventura - yes I know its 14 months away :eek:

just a few questions if anyone can answer:

- how do P&O handle tendering, is it pretty organised?

- I understand P&O stick to semi-formal as well as formal - what is the dress for the former?

- what sort of activities do they have around the pool on sea days?

- how much do they charge for formal piccies?

- can you have breakfast in your cabin? if so what is the selection like?

- what the entertainment like? Is there anything hilarious which goes on throughout the fleet and a not to miss?

Also is there anyway of finding out which flights to Barbados will have the wider 33" seat pitch?

If theres anything else do let me know - I think all of the individual forums should have a newbie Q&A stickie so apologies if these have been answered over and over!

now the last cruise is over Im getting excited about Ventura - yes I know its 14 months away :eek:

just a few questions if anyone can answer:

- how do P&O handle tendering, is it pretty organised?

- I understand P&O stick to semi-formal as well as formal - what is the dress for the former?

- what sort of activities do they have around the pool on sea days?

- how much do they charge for formal piccies?

- can you have breakfast in your cabin? if so what is the selection like?

- what the entertainment like? Is there anything hilarious which goes on throughout the fleet and a not to miss?

Also is there anyway of finding out which flights to Barbados will have the wider 33" seat pitch?

If theres anything else do let me know - I think all of the individual forums should have a newbie Q&A stickie so apologies if these have been answered over and over!

Hi MK From MK aka Bex,

1. Yes, you are told to go to a central point, usually the theatre and then sent off to the shuttle when it is ready. On Oceana in Flam we waited no more than 10 minutes.

2. There are no semi formal nights on fly/cruise to the Caribbean. You get 4 formal and 10 smart casual. For all others a 14 would be 4 formal 4 informal and 6 smart casual. This can vary slightly between cruises.

3. No idea, I keep away:D

4. Lots and lots and lots. Actually We can not remember as we have stopped looking at them.

5. A fair selection of continental breakfast, unless you are in a suite then you can get whatever you want.

6. A mixture of west end type musical shows and comedians some singers and the odd group. Opinions vary as to the quality although generally the standard is good. Most shows it is hard to find a seat if you are late.

7. It depends on where you are flying from and your carrier. Your TA should be able to give you that information. We are going Jan 16th 09 and have booked an upgrade on the plane. We are flying 'Geordie One' the very first P&O flight from Newcastle.

Hope that helps, come back for more if needed.:)

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

H

brill thanks - its funny how nervous you feel with a new company LOL you get so used to knowing what is ans what isnt that I feel all in the dark now :(

is there anything like midnight buffets, the usual ice carvings etc?

brill thanks - its funny how nervous you feel with a new company LOL you get so used to knowing what is ans what isnt that I feel all in the dark now :(

is there anything like midnight buffets, the usual ice carvings etc?

Ice carvings, yes. Midnight Buffets - no. P&O have not gone in for these although there will be a 24 hour outlet.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

me again :D

what about smoking areas and can you take alcohol onboard / buy it on board and take it to your cabin?

Hi MK From MK aka Bex,

1. There are at the moment but restricted.

2. Yes (The rules say no but they will not be enforced unless there is a health and safety problem, ie if you drink any more you will cause someone and injury)

3. Yes, but no need as your cabin steward will get them for you and put it in the cabin/fridge. Ask on the first day and he will deliver the next day. They have very little spare time on the first day. 1Ltr bottles gin etc £11.00. Therefore not worth taking your own. he will also get you your mixers. ask for 9 & get 12. He will also give you an ice bucket which he will fill up if you ask him.

Dai

Mad kitty,

I too share your concerns about going with another company, I love RCI too. This year Navigator had a great, friendly, party atmosphere. I'm worried P&O may be a bit too posh?

We booked Ventura because of the Itinery, flight from East Mids, new ship and fitting in with school hols. We also got a bargain price! (Cheaper in comparison to Navigator). My sis is also on the same cruise so I know we'll have a great time. But when we're on holiday we on holiday we do like to stay up late & have a fun!

By the way your pics of liberty are fantastic.;)

MM

thanks MM - we do love RCI so if P&O doesnt work for us then we will go back to RCI forever....well we're already getting excited about being able to book Genesis next year :D

Dai - is the smoking restricted to certain bars and one side of the ship? what about in cabins?

thanks MM - we do love RCI so if P&O doesnt work for us then we will go back to RCI forever....well we're already getting excited about being able to book Genesis next year :D

Dai - is the smoking restricted to certain bars and one side of the ship? what about in cabins?

Hi MK From MK aka Bex,

Parts of bars and one side, do not know which. Cabins I think yes, but not in the one I am have the cruise after:mad:.

miss mental,

What do you mean by POSH - I think your perception of P&O may be way off. I mean they let me on:D.

You do not have to be POSH to dress up for dinner on 4 formal nights.

:)Happy Cruising

Dai

No cooked breekies in the cabin :eek:

We always have breakfast on the balcony on the days we have early tours, that is a bit of a blow.

After seeing photo's of a formal night on Oceana, people dress far more dressy on RCI. I seem to get the impression that the entertainment is a bit dated

Mad kitty

You are spot on! I have been told by friends who have sailed with P&O & RCI that P&O is definitely more stuffy and people not as friendly!

Dai,

It's not the dressing up at all!!!:rolleyes:

I am more than happy to dress formally for 4 nights, infact I normally dress POSH most nights! Any excuse for a posh frock I say.

MM:D

Hi, I've just come back from 2 weeks on P&O Arcadia with my 85 year old mum, it was our first so nothing to compare it with, but we didn't find it at all "posh". Everyone was really friendly, people chatted in the bars, restaurants, lifts, by the pool, everywhere. All the people we met seemed very "ordinary", if you know what I mean. We met some really lovely people and I haven't laughed so much in years. Being a child-free ship a lot of the people were older, say over 50, but everyone we met was nice (except for one woman we sat next to at breakfast one morning who moaned a bit! There's always one!)

The formal photos were £12.95, and if you bought two you got one free. The small photos were £5.95. Being first timers we bought quite a few, won't buy so many next time.

Polly

Mad kitty

You are spot on! I have been told by friends who have sailed with P&O & RCI that P&O is definitely more stuffy and people not as friendly!

Dai,

It's not the dressing up at all!!!:rolleyes:

I am more than happy to dress formally for 4 nights, infact I normally dress POSH most nights! Any excuse for a posh frock I say.

MM:D

MM

Well I have not come across the stuffy lot on P&O, everyone is has been very friendly.

Perhaps the stuffy lot take one look at me and steer well clear:D

It is interesting that I have seen criticism saying that it is too stuffy and that it is going down market. Clearly down to perception.

Personally I think it is a load of ********* and that the ships are full of ordinary people having a wonderful cruise. A holiday that most of us have found to be far better than any other.

If you look for a stuffy atmosphere then you will find one even if you have to look for days and days. And if you look for the ships going down market then you will eventually fine that as well.

If you do not bother and go to enjoy yourself then you will have a great time.

Dai

Hi, I've just come back from 2 weeks on P&O Arcadia with my 85 year old mum, it was our first so nothing to compare it with, but we didn't find it at all "posh". Everyone was really friendly, people chatted in the bars, restaurants, lifts, by the pool, everywhere. All the people we met seemed very "ordinary", if you know what I mean. We met some really lovely people and I haven't laughed so much in years. Being a child-free ship a lot of the people were older, say over 50, but everyone we met was nice (except for one woman we sat next to at breakfast one morning who moaned a bit! There's always one!)

The formal photos were £12.95, and if you bought two you got one free. The small photos were £5.95. Being first timers we bought quite a few, won't buy so many next time.

Polly

Hi Polly,

We are clearly on the same wavelength. My nine cruises mirror yours exactly, only we did not get 3 for 2 on the photos:mad:

Glad you had a great time. You always remember your first cruise. Are you suffering PCB's (post cruise blues) I did it was terrible. Only one cure, book another one:D

Dai

Hi Dai

Thanks, it was absolutely WONDERFUL. Mum and I haven't stopped talking about it. Yes I'm definitely suffering from PCB, however I've already booked the next one! I booked it on board! I went down to find out availability on the Venice cruise next September (Arcadia again - liked child free!) and every cabin grade I enquired about was not available. Eventually I said "What HAVE you got?" She offered me two on D deck, one was miles from the lifts so no good for mother. When I asked how come it was so booked up a year in advance she said it's because that particular cruise is overnight in Venice - in at 8.30 one morning, leaves at 6 the following day. Thought I'd better book it quick! I'm really glad I did as it has helped the "blues" to know I'll be back on her in less than 11 months!

Polly

Hi Dai

Thanks, it was absolutely WONDERFUL. Mum and I haven't stopped talking about it. Yes I'm definitely suffering from PCB, however I've already booked the next one! I booked it on board! I went down to find out availability on the Venice cruise next September (Arcadia again - liked child free!) and every cabin grade I enquired about was not available. Eventually I said "What HAVE you got?" She offered me two on D deck, one was miles from the lifts so no good for mother. When I asked how come it was so booked up a year in advance she said it's because that particular cruise is overnight in Venice - in at 8.30 one morning, leaves at 6 the following day. Thought I'd better book it quick! I'm really glad I did as it has helped the "blues" to know I'll be back on her in less than 11 months!

Polly

Excellent,

We are back on her in July and also going to Venice.

I take the anti PCB thing a stage further, I never cruise without having at least two more booked:D. By time we have got to July we will have booked for Oct 09 as that is my wifes big birthday. The one in July is mine:D

Also by the end of the Oct cruise We shall have gone Gold.:D

:DHappy Cruising:D

Dai

Sorry for butting in.

DaiB, were you on a cruise earlier this year with a couple from near London called Dave and Hillary?

Suzie (from Darlington)

Hi Suzie,

Well I suppose someone has to come from Darlington:rolleyes:

I am hopeless with names, but I don't think so do you know the cruise or where it went?

We were on Oceana E721 to Norway.

Dai

Hi Suzie,

Well I suppose someone has to come from Darlington:rolleyes:

I am hopeless with names, but I don't think so do you know the cruise or where it went?

We were on Oceana E721 to Norway.

I think it was a Med cruise so probably not you, there must be someone else from Whitley Bay who cruises also lol, I haven't got a clue which Line it was. Anyway it was just a thought.

Archived