When does the Crew Change Occur

As I understand it, the crew works for x many months, then that person leaves and a new person takes his/her place. Does the entire crew change at once or is it staggered?

I'll be going on a transatlantic in April. Will I have an "old" crew that will swap out after my cruise or will it be the "new" crew? Or could it be a blend (some old, some new)?

I'm rather curious about the dance lessons and whether I need to bring my dance shoes. Will I be able to gauge from the previous 2-3 cruises whether there will be Swing or Salsa? Or will I really not know because it'll be a new crew with new dancers?

As I understand it, the crew works for x many months, then that person leaves and a new person takes his/her place. Does the entire crew change at once or is it staggered?

I'll be going on a transatlantic in April. Will I have an "old" crew that will swap out after my cruise or will it be the "new" crew? Or could it be a blend (some old, some new)?

I'm rather curious about the dance lessons and whether I need to bring my dance shoes. Will I be able to gauge from the previous 2-3 cruises whether there will be Swing or Salsa? Or will I really not know because it'll be a new crew with new dancers?

The staff, crew and officers onboard are on 4 to six months contracts followed by one or two month vacation, after which they either return to the same vessel or are placed on any other ship within the fleet. They come and go all year, you would never ever notice the difference.Crew turnover usually takes place on embarkation day!

Take your dance shoes they don't take up that much room. Boleros is usually latin. The rest of the lounges depends on the bands on board. Some lounges are really too smal for ballroom. I have seen RCI beginning to respond to the popularity of ball room dancing, slowly adding bands or having bands onboard playing a broader variety in the main lounge.

On our last cruise, our waiter was so excited one night because he had just found out that he'd be home for Christmas for the first time in 5 years. A discussion ensued, and he explained that they never swap out crew members during the prime holiday times such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter because the airfare is too high. Either a crew member is sent home a bit ahead of these holidays, or they must wait a bit afterwards, making the contract not always an exact 6 months on, 2 months off.

I know this doesn't answer the OP's question, but it's something interesting a crew member shared with us that I'd like to pass along here.

The staff, crew and officers onboard are on 4 to six months contracts followed by one or two month vacation, after which they either return to the same vessel or are placed on any other ship within the fleet. They come and go all year, you would never ever notice the difference.

I will disagree with that statement. We sailed on Celebrity's Infinity in January of 2006 right after a new CD and Hotel Director came on board. They where not new to the job, just to the ship. They did come on at the same time. There was definitely a difference in how the ship felt. I even posted about in my review at the time. Something was just 'off'. I think a change of the two most visible positions (after captain) at the same time can really make a difference one can notice.

The cruise was not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, it was just...off. Almost like watching a television program and the audio not being in sync with the video.

I will disagree with that statement. We sailed on Celebrity's Infinity in January of 2006 right after a new CD and Hotel Director came on board. They where not new to the job, just to the ship. They did come on at the same time. There was definitely a difference in how the ship felt. I even posted about in my review at the time. Something was just 'off'. I think a change of the two most visible positions (after captain) at the same time can really make a difference one can notice.

The cruise was not horrible by any stretch of the imagination, it was just...off. Almost like watching a television program and the audio not being in sync with the video.

You make an interesting point here. When we sailed on Mariner in Aug 2006, the production singers and dancers had just arrived and this was their first cruise performing together. To be honest, they were awful. On our August 2007 Mariner cruise, the show was the same, however this ensemble of singers and dancers had been together for 6 months and this was their last cruise. What a huge difference - they were outstanding because they gelled well together, and there was a palpable enthusiasm present since it was their farewell performance. We were amazed that the exact same shows we thought were just OK a year earlier were so fabulous this time around.

I had the impression the OP was asking about the actual service crew, such as wait team and cabin stewards (not officers, staff and performers.) I think their changeover is seemless because when they are new, they work as assistants until they are ready to work on their own. So, you never get someone brand new and untrained, whether they are at the beginning of their contract or at the end. As well, it is staggered, so large numbers don't changeover at once.

Every cruise I have been on in the past couple years has offered salsa and merengue lessons. Some also have line dancing classes, macarena and I forget what else, but salsa classes seem to be the "in" thing on Caribbean cruises.

HI! OP here...just to clarify, I was really wondering about the key positions, Hotel Director, Cruise Director, performers and cabin steward. My fears are similar to what was mentioned...either the guys are tired, they just want off the ship and don't want to deal with ONE MORE 13 day period with new, demanding humans. Or, they're fresh, but aren't "in the groove" yet.

I guess, if I were to choose, I'd want to cruise on weeks 3-6 after the crew started...they're still energetic and not crabby, but they've gotten their groove back after a break and are really ready to show you a nice cruise.

It seems that ballroom dancing lessons are far more popular now on the cruise than with my last cruise 4 years ago. I still have my actual dance shoes and now that the other poster mentions it, the leather is very soft and maybe they will indeed crush well. :)

HI! OP here...just to clarify, I was really wondering about the key positions, Hotel Director, Cruise Director, performers and cabin steward. My fears are similar to what was mentioned...either the guys are tired, they just want off the ship and don't want to deal with ONE MORE 13 day period with new, demanding humans. Or, they're fresh, but aren't "in the groove" yet.

I guess, if I were to choose, I'd want to cruise on weeks 3-6 after the crew started...they're still energetic and not crabby, but they've gotten their groove back after a break and are really ready to show you a nice cruise.

It seems that ballroom dancing lessons are far more popular now on the cruise than with my last cruise 4 years ago. I still have my actual dance shoes and now that the other poster mentions it, the leather is very soft and maybe they will indeed crush well. :)

Senior officers, Captain, Staff Captain, Hotel Director and Chief Engineer, all 4 stripe ranks, now serve 10 weeks rotation on and off ship. There are other intervals for lesser ranks, and general crew, who typically do 6 months on.

Jetovm,

You are right, they are not allowed to stay on the ship at night and have to be brought out each morning, along with the guy who brings the extension cord for the electricity...............Oh those great questions they get. :-)

I always thought the crew changed off every night and the new crew got on in the morning.

our last cruise at the c&a reception they mentioned some of the crazy questions they get...one of them was...Does the crew sleep on the ship at night?? I wonder how often they get that one...

Archived