Ethesus on your own

While visiting Kusadasi, have anyone went to Ethesus by yourself and what transportation did you use? We like to explore place in our own pace. So, I am looking for otheroptions than cruiseline tours. I know somebody can help.

THanks

Isabella

While visiting Kusadasi, have anyone went to Ethesus by yourself and what transportation did you use? We like to explore place in our own pace. So, I am looking for otheroptions than cruiseline tours. I know somebody can help.

THanks

Isabella

Try www.virtualtourist.com The following is one of the replies I received from members to a question I posted. We are going next month (11/24 on the Galaxy) and will do Istanbul on our own.

"

All the mosques are free and gratis to visit. Aya Sophia and Topkapi are museums for that reason you have to pay. To enter the mosques we have some regulations and limitations. Women must cover themselves. For tourist they have sharfs for women at the enterence.

The tram from the station of Kabatas(read Kabatash) passes along the main street just behind the Cruise Ship Port . All the tram goes to Sultanahmet the district where you can visit Blue mosque, Aya Sophia nad Topkapi palace.

If you have time I advice you to walk from cruise ship port towards the Galata Bridge which will take only 10 minutes. Just head west and walk. you will be on Galata Bridge. The place is called Karakoy. On the mouth of the bridge on your right you will see the huge tower of Galata. It is also a must to visit. Galata is an ancient distric where Jewish citizens dwelled. On your left yo will see at the other end of the bridge the Yeni Cami the New Mosgue. The Place is called Eminonu. On the rightside of the bridge there is the famous Spice Bazaar or the famous Egyptian Bazaar. It is also a must to visit.

Thank you,

We will be on Galaxy November 10. So much to plan, so little time.

I should have gone into a little more detail on my awnser. Suggest going to google and entering a search for ephasus and virtualtourist. This should lead into the forum for Ephasus. We are planing on taking a mini bus (Dolmus) from Kusadasi to Ephasus. The mini busses are supposed to run every 1/2 hur and cost about 3YTL. There is a map at http://www.sacred-destinations.com/turkey/ephesus-site-layout.htm

Frommer's forum also has a section on the mini busses.

We have been to Ephesus a few times and have done it with both tours and on our own. If you are really adventuress and want to save money, its possible to take the public bus out to the stop on the main road at the Ephesus turn-off, and than you have to walk about a mile to the upper entrance. The local "buses" are actually vans and it was quite an experience. To get to the bus station you cross the street from the pier, walk through the bazaar and keep going a few blocks slightly bearing towards your left. When we did this we did stop and ask directions from some of the locals, and the ones that spoke some English were happy to help. Another more comfortable option is to simply grab a taxi, but make sure you negotiate the price before you get in the taxi. There is a real benefit to going on your own. You can really take your time, and since there will be many tours from the cruise ship, you simply listen-in on some of the tour groups. You would certainly want a printed guide, and you can buy lots of guide books right outside the main entrance. There are actually two seperate gates to the ruins, and you want to go to the upper gate (its higher on the hill) to make your entrance (and pay the fee) and than you walk gradually downhill through the ruins until you reach the bottom exit.

Hank

Hank,

Always you give a great advice. My first thought was to take a taxi to get there and maybe get attached to other groups there in some location, but have freedom to have time spent. I never could remember what the tour guide will tell thru the 8 hours of touring. Having a book about the place will be a big plus.

Thank you very much

Isabella

Isabella, Just be careful with the taxis. Quite a few will park right at the parking lot by the pier and they will want to negotiate high prices. The reality is that the taxi ride should probably be about $10 each way (my guess) but these taxis will be asking for $60+. In fact, some of the taxi drivers might even offer to be your guide which can be funny when many of them hardly speak any English. Keep in mind that the tender pier is right in town so you can always try to find a taxi a block or two away from the pier. It can all be lots of fun. We have always loved being in Turkey and have found the Turks to be warm, very friendly, and also very entreprenaurial (they love to make money). If its a hot day you will be able to purchase cold bottled water or soda right at the entrance to Ephesus (buy before you enter). Just make sure that if you buy water that the bottle is still sealed.

Hank

There are many good tour companies you can arrange on your own with a small group. Post on your roll call to find a few people to share with. We just got back and our cruise critic group used 3 different companies and we were all happy. Ephesus is a huge site and to walk through without a guide, I think you would miss alot. There are several other sites to see in the area such as the Ephesus museum, house of the Virgin Mary, St. John's church, temple of Artemetis. It is a beautiful area and on our tour we went to a charming country restaurant for lunch.

Archived