Religious services

momthewriter

We've only seen religious service onboard if it were to be a major religious holiday such as, in the case of the Christian faith, Christmas, Good Friday & Easter. I don't recall ever seeing services for a normal Sunday worship onboard, but then again we haven't sailed them all (yet!).

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Sun will have religious services on Sundays? That's been the case on other cruises we've been on.

Thanks!

We just got off the Star. There were no advertised services but we were holding one (Episcopal) we had 3 couples attend that were not part of our group. They said the recection desk told them where a service was. If nothing is published in the freestyle daily try reception.

Nita

What sailing are you on? The sun has a chapel available for services and you could post that you are interested in gathering with others of like faith... cause it does not have to be an organized gathering to count... "wherever 2 or more are gathered in My name.....":D

On the 3 cruises I have been on I pray . Normally it is to the porcelain god.... if you know what I mean!!!

Now being seriuos, I think God will understand if you do not attend a formal service, but spend a few min's. in prayer and reflection.

Just my personal faith and relationship with my God!

We were on the Sun to Alaska last month and the ship has a nice little Chapel...but there were no 'ship sponsored' Sunday services.

We embarked on a Sunday which may be why they did not have services...but it has been my experience that most of the cruise lines do not have services unless they are at sea on high Holy days.

Whether they have a service or not depends on the availibility of a clergy person and not the ship itself. None plan and invite priests or other clergy, but if a person is available and wants to hold a service the ship will arrange for one.

Nita

Some of the cruise lines do....but not all...but people can always ho;d a service if they feel it appropriate.

I know many feel more comfortable in a formal church setting on the Sabbath (whichever day that might be), and I accept that. I also understand that for some religions a formal service is required. My parents encouraged my sibs and me to attend services with friends while we were growing up, so I've pretty well "run the gamut" from Catholic to Jewish to all the Protestant churches (our family is Methodist-Episcopal). I was also lucky enough to be a teen during a time when our local "church row" was filled with priests, ministers, and rabbis who believed in joining in the spirit once per season--talk about your fantastic services! My dad was something of a religious scholar (as an "hobby," if you will) and imparted a really important lesson to me: To do good, to be kind and loving, to do right just because it is right, to help each other is God's work no matter how we dress it up. (Sorry, little OT nostalgic moment there.)

Anyway, if a service is not available on a cruise, for whatever reason, there's no reason any group couldn't gather in the chapel and be together for worship or just to sing and share. The other option is one that many might not agree with me about, and I accept that too. When on a cruise with all of the wonders of the natural world and being blessed with the means and health to travel, we don't feel there's a thing wrong with finding a beautiful spot on the ship or on shore and offering thanks and prayers there. My dad was kind of big on that too. One week per month, "church" was our family together for the day in the redwood forest or by the crashing ocean or hiking in the sweet meadows. IMO, God couldn't possibly have created the beauty and wonders if we weren't meant to find the blessings in them as easily as we find them in a church building.

Just a thought and, of course, my personal belief.

beachchick

it's been mentioned and i can verify that unless a priest (being catholic) identifies himself and wishes to perform the service, there's usually nothing scheduled for our faith onboard. however deacons and eucharistic ministers on board can have a communion service but i couldnt believe aboard the Jewel of the Seas two years ago, that the entire Schooner lounge was full with standing room only.. and the minister used foccacia bread (sorry for the spelling).. but i agree.. on your knees or on your balcony.. one on one with whomever you believe in is ok..

just my opinion

Weary

I agree with many of the posters above. God can be worshipped in many ways and places individually. I also know that for many it is very important to gather together with other (in my case) Christian believers and indeed this is a historic part of the Christian faith.

So, keeping this discussion cruise related, how would you suggest that fellow passengers who are clergy make themselves known to the crew, offer to lead Sunday services that are at least listed in the Freestyle Daily? Related, what is, in this case, NCL's responsibility to verifying the credentials of those passengers who claim to be clergy when they are onboard?

Certainly having worship available and known to all is a good idea even if only a few show up.

Yes, I am ordained and am active clergy. I am considering making myself available to lead worship when I sail the Gem in January as our first full day is considered by some to be a special event in the life of Jesus and the chruch. Doing so would be part of my calling. However, I am also keenly aware that I am on vacation which for me is a time of renewal and rest from "professional" duties. For me, offering to lead a Christian Protestant worship service is a fine balancing act between active ministry and quiet rest and renewal, also a part of ministry most do not see.

A couple of years ago, while on the Dawn out of NYC there was a Catholic service on Saturday afternoon in Spinnakers Lounge. The priest was from a Long Island Parish who was on a trip with fellow parishoners. He had the nice balcony room while we were across the hall in the inside cabin.:eek:

We are on the Sun 11/17-11/24. The reason I ask, is that my son is in the middle of confirmation classes, and they are pretty rigid about him attending religious services, even if he's out of town. So...my thought is we'll attend whatever is available. Wonder what he's going to do next weekend when he's in North Dakota duck hunting... :-)

I agree with many of the posters above. God can be worshipped in many ways and places individually. I also know that for many it is very important to gather together with other (in my case) Christian believers and indeed this is a historic part of the Christian faith.

So, keeping this discussion cruise related, how would you suggest that fellow passengers who are clergy make themselves known to the crew, offer to lead Sunday services that are at least listed in the Freestyle Daily? Related, what is, in this case, NCL's responsibility to verifying the credentials of those passengers who claim to be clergy when they are onboard?

Certainly having worship available and known to all is a good idea even if only a few show up.

Yes, I am ordained and am active clergy. I am considering making myself available to lead worship when I sail the Gem in January as our first full day is considered by some to be a special event in the life of Jesus and the chruch. Doing so would be part of my calling. However, I am also keenly aware that I am on vacation which for me is a time of renewal and rest from "professional" duties. For me, offering to lead a Christian Protestant worship service is a fine balancing act between active ministry and quiet rest and renewal, also a part of ministry most do not see.

When we wanted ours in the Freestyle daily we couldn't do it and don't ask me why, it was explained, I jsut can't remember, but yes, you can approach the desk and let them know you would like to do a religious service. You know, I think I would contact the ship coordinator ahead of time as well. Come to think of it, I beleive the reason we couldn't get it in the Freestyle daily had to do with a particular denomonation. I think we were told a non demoninational service could be posted.Nita

Unless NCL has arranged for a specific clergy member to be onboard and to perform services at the behest of NCL, I can't see where NCL has any responsibility at all to "verify" the credentials of pax onboard. If NCL has hired a minister, rabbi, priest, etc. specifically to provide services, then they would need to verify; if NCL offers a "clergy discount" then I'm certain NCl would verify those pax claiming to be clergy members (just as you have to verify residence for state-specific discounts or age for senior discounts). In any other scenario, NCL isn't repsonsible for what pax might tell other pax about their professions or avocations.

beachchick

me thinks there's a lil cabin credit for providing the service as well (not that it would influence the clergy ;) ) similar to one giving talks on board.. either way.. the non demoninational isnt quite true.. aboard the norwegian majesty a few weeks ago we had both catholic, non demoninational and the "join Rabbi ??? for saturday services all listed in the daily.. i just think its nice to see people take time out to attend...

Beachchick and Weary Traveler

Sometimes cruiselines offer space at significantly reduced rates to clergy in exchange for services. I am definitely not cruising that way in January. I've heard bits and pieces about doing this and have decided taht at this time I would really rather cruise "like everyone else" without having obligations to attend to while on vacation.

If I would volunteer to lead a service because there is no designated clergy onboard it would be as a volunteer. I can't imagine onboard credit being given to volunteers. Now, if they ask me to do something more then that's a whole different thing.

hope you didnt misinterpret what i meant. i applaud your attitude but i didnt mean that the credit would be a good reason for you or any to do it.

i still believe i can do as much on my knees at the foot of my bed nuff said on that.... but ya know? Military and veterans didnt join the service either to get the discount at the Green Gables at Disney World, it's just something provided for their service.. if i were fortunate enuff to have you aboard providing a worship service i felt necessary to attend, then i wouldnt have a problem for you or anyone being recognized for your service provided. people provide stipends for weddings and other services to clergy.. i myself wouldnt have a problem nor judge if it were offered..

just my opinion

Weary

The cruise line has no duty to verify the bonafides of someone who volunteers to perform services at a non cruise line sponsored service. Unless they are performing a marriage or some other sanctioned event who cares.

If the cruise line is sponsoring it they may have. Its like AA if they are posting a meeting or of FOB they are just setting a room aside not saying the leader is a bonafide health professional...sometimes people think lawsuit too much.

In an attempt to bring the discussion back to religious services on ship, my cruise will be departing the day before Easter. I'm not religious at all but I think my wife would like to attend a Catholic Mass. I'm wondering if there will be something. My guess is no, just curious.

In an attempt to bring the discussion back to religious services on ship, my cruise will be departing the day before Easter. I'm not religious at all but I think my wife would like to attend a Catholic Mass. I'm wondering if there will be something. My guess is no, just curious.

We have found on past NCL cruises that sometimes a service is offered and sometimes not.

It may depend on what holiday/holyday is observed during the time of your cruise. And what clergy is on-board.

We still have not figured it out.

We have docked at ports where services were provided in local churches.

Depends if you will dock on Easter.

Beachchick and Weary Traveler

Sometimes cruiselines offer space at significantly reduced rates to clergy in exchange for services. I am definitely not cruising that way in January. I've heard bits and pieces about doing this and have decided taht at this time I would really rather cruise "like everyone else" without having obligations to attend to while on vacation.

If I would volunteer to lead a service because there is no designated clergy onboard it would be as a volunteer. I can't imagine onboard credit being given to volunteers. Now, if they ask me to do something more then that's a whole different thing.

Makes perfect sense. You deserve to cruise as a vacation with no obligations or duties. I think that if cruise lines do offer reduced rates or OBC or what have you to clergy in exchange for services, then it's a wonderful service (if you will) for everyone. In that case, I'd expect a cruise line to definitely verify the credentials of those clergy members.

If you graciously offered to your fellow pax to lead a service because no other clergy member was onboard (or chose to make the offer), then of course you'd be doing it in the spirit of giving. In that case (and if I happened to attend the service), our "offering" would be to treat you (and your family) to a little "something" onboard. If the cruise line approached you and asked you specifically to lead services, you could decline with absolutely no guilt--it would be similar to them asking a doctor to perform a medical procedure or a lawyer to read a contract--In other words: Work. I would expect the cruise line personnel to verify your (or any clergy member's) credentials in that case because it would be the cruise line's obligation to the other pax. If other pax asked you, then they would have to take it on (no pun) faith that you are who you say you are. Does that make any sense or am I rambling again?

Anyway, I hope you have a delightful cruise and a wonderful vacation.

beachchick

Archived