Please can you help me!

woodmill100

We are coming to the Caribbean in January for a cruise - that much we are confident on!

Hubby wants to see NASA and there is a cruise that leaves Port Canaveral on 6 January with suite availability. The cruise is with Royal Carib.

However, I really want to see Miami and there is a Princess Cruise which also leaves on 6 January! Through my reviews of this site, I think the Princess Ship has more to offer us in terms of amenities etc.

Neither of us are bothered about the ports of call on the cruise as we have not travelled this area before.

So, my question - if we fly into Orlando, we could do NASA and then come down to Miami the next day to meet the ship on sailing day - firstly, is there a way of getting to Miami without driving and secondly, this would make us slightly short on time to see Miami after the cruise so we would need to come down the day of sailing - good idea or not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - we're in our late 30's and appreciate good food and wine. We'd like a good suite cabin with excellent service and amenities.

You would have to rent a car to see Port Canaveral and then drive to Miami.

You could take Amtrak from Port Canaveral to Miami but then how would you get around to sightsee in Miami?

If you get an early enough flight to Orlando, you can always spend the day at Port Canaveral and then drive to Miami the same evening.

Florida doesn't have drop off fees for one way car rentals.

Hi Woodmill...as a fellow Scot, and travelling over the Pond like you, I'll try my best to help in any way I can, having had a few dilemnas on the travel front myself:-

1..To fly into Orlando...depending on which airline you use (scheduled flights go into Orlando, but charters go into Sanford...which is outside Orlando BUT closer to NASA) So you have to give that some thought too.

Either way you will need a hire car to get to NASA and approx 1-1 1/2 drive from any of these.

2...Having flown from the UK on a min 9 hour flight then loose 5 hours by switching to US time....be rest assured that that day and perhaps the next day you will be a wee bit on the tired side :) to say the least.

3...NASA is fascinating , BUT to give it any justice you need a FULL day to visit....then you'll be ready for bed.

4....From Orlando to Miami I would allow 3 -4 hours driving....unless you have driven in the US before and are familliar with the roads and driving on 'the wrong side'

I hope this doesn't put you off.....because if you take all of this into consideration and can work out the Logistics of it all you will have the time of your life !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So my suggestions based on experience would be to go out a couple of days early (as many as poss) Fly into airport of your choice, hire your car and go to Daytona beach ( I think the other one is Cocoa beach)or surrounding area,

stay overnight there. Visit Nasa the next day....with very little driving involved....and again stay overnight in that area,before driving to Miami the next day....well rested and more accustomed to the US roads.

If Staying in Miami pre cruise, the Port of Miami is closest to the cruise terminal and cheaper to stay in than South Beach, but still close enough to go to. We stayed in POM and took a taxi to south beach (cheapish) and had a great time.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but just trying to point out a few ideas. As if you haven't visited the area before you wont have an idea of the distances involved.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask if I can be of any further help.

Either way you will have a ball !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happycruzer

We are coming to the Caribbean in January for a cruise - that much we are confident on!

Hubby wants to see NASA and there is a cruise that leaves Port Canaveral on 6 January with suite availability. The cruise is with Royal Carib.

However, I really want to see Miami and there is a Princess Cruise which also leaves on 6 January! Through my reviews of this site, I think the Princess Ship has more to offer us in terms of amenities etc.

Neither of us are bothered about the ports of call on the cruise as we have not travelled this area before.

So, my question - if we fly into Orlando, we could do NASA and then come down to Miami the next day to meet the ship on sailing day - firstly, is there a way of getting to Miami without driving and secondly, this would make us slightly short on time to see Miami after the cruise so we would need to come down the day of sailing - good idea or not?

Any input would be greatly appreciated - we're in our late 30's and appreciate good food and wine. We'd like a good suite cabin with excellent service and amenities.

I have been to NASA and Miami. The tour of NASA is not that long. If I wanted to do both, I would fly into Orlando early, rent a car and drive to Cocoa Beach/NASA. The drive takes about 45 minutes. After the NASA tour, I would drive to Miami (3 to 3 1/2 hours depending on traffic). Stay somewhere near the port such as the Port of Miami Holiday Inn. It is across the street from Bayside Marketplace which has shopping, restaurants etc... It is also relatively close to South Beach. Depending on what time your ship leaves, you may have time the next morning to see more of Miami and you would also have the day you get back. We are staying the day after we get back so we can go to South Beach.

All of this advice is pretty good. Let me see if I can sharpen the pencil. Flying into Sanford is actually the closest to Nasa. It takes a better reader than Orlando. If you can get a car with a GPS (pretty easy here) its the way to go. Nasa can easily take a day but 1/2 is fine. Either way don't miss it.

Cocoa Beach is the closest to the Cape and only moments from the port. Both ships you mentioned are great and you will not be disappointed with either.

If you go it will take 3-4 hours to get to Miami. It is a big city and if you dont decide what you want to see it will look like many others. It has many sites to see just pick some before you get there.

If it were me I would do NASA and then stay on the ocean in Cocoa Beach. As one said you have alot of flying and time changes. Miami is a wonderful city but is crowded and very fast paced. Just not my favorite way to start a vacation.

If you have any specific questions please ask.

Thank you!

We've booked a Princess Cruise from FLL so at the moment, we're flying into Miami and staying 2 nights before taking a car to the port in FLL. We'll then get another car after the cruise and drive to cocoa beach and see NASA the day before we come home - I think!

Thank you!

We've booked a Princess Cruise from FLL so at the moment, we're flying into Miami and staying 2 nights before taking a car to the port in FLL. We'll then get another car after the cruise and drive to cocoa beach and see NASA the day before we come home - I think!

Sounds like a good plan.

Thank you!

Sounds like a great plan! Whatever you do, don't stay downtown near the Port of Miami.

What is your budget for the hotel? What do you want to see? Resort or hotel? Miami has both that are fabulous.

South Beach is a lot of fun and has fabulous dining and nightlife. Bal Harbour has great beaches and shopping. Coral Gables and Coconut Grove aren't on the beach but are great neighborhoods with attractions (Vizcaya, Venetian Pool etc) outstanding shopping and dining.

Key Biscayne has a fabulous Ritz-Carlton and wonderful beaches. It is an island in the middle of Biscayne Bay. Fisher Island Resort and Club is an island resort of the really super wealthy who have homes on the island.

As you can see there is a diverse group of accommodations and tons to see in Miami. What I've listed is just a scratch on the surface of what Miami has to offer.

Archived