Labadee - Malfini Beach

hlv71

The beaches are so beautiful at Labadee I don't know why you would pay for an excursion there? It is your choice of course but if you want something more private just keep walking to the end where less people go. There is even a little tram that will take you if you don't want to walk.

The beaches are so beautiful at Labadee I don't know why you would pay for an excursion there? It is your choice of course but if you want something more private just keep walking to the end where less people go. There is even a little tram that will take you if you don't want to walk.

Dittos from me. We were there in August and I considered Malfini beach and decided against it. Didnt seem that great from the literature and there were plenty of other beaches there. We did the zipline, thriller boat ride and barefoot beach all on the same day. It was awesome. Our favorite stop on our WC cruise. Of course someone who went to Malfini may have great things to say about it too. Google is a great thing.

Have a Great Cruise,

Jimmers

Since Labadee is a beach day (on a gorgeous beach) that has already been paid for in your cruise fare--why spend any extra money???? Just doesn't make much sense, to me!

Save those excursion dollars for a different port--or a shopping spree!

I'd like to hear from someone who has done it. I'm not sure any of the above posters have. Been to Labadee twice this year and went to the far beach both times. The beach was nice but it wasn't all that special or private. We'll be there again in Jan '08 and are thinking about Malfini. It would be great if we could hear something about this beach from someone who has been there.

My husband and I along with my sis and her husband did the malfini excursion a few years ago.It was our favorite on the cruise.The beach is secluded and only a limited amount of people could go so it had that private feel to it .The beach is owned by a friendly family and we visited withthem and learned about the history of the beach. My sis and hubby snorkeled while we lounged on rafts. This was my first cruise and I havent experienced alot of other excursions but we thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was worth the money.I hope this helps.Have fun!

My husband and I along with my sis and her husband did the malfini excursion a few years ago.It was our favorite on the cruise.The beach is secluded and only a limited amount of people could go so it had that private feel to it .The beach is owned by a friendly family and we visited withthem and learned about the history of the beach. My sis and hubby snorkeled while we lounged on rafts. This was my first cruise and I havent experienced alot of other excursions but we thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was worth the money.I hope this helps.Have fun!

we have also done malfini beach-on our cruise-on 9/05--and i am thrilled to say that we are doin it again on our cruise of 10/07-for us it was perfect............quiet,relaxing and there was food and drink what better-i highly recomend it

Thanks so much for your input. Kept seeing advise from people I'm not sure have been to Malfini. We've been to Labadee a couple of times in the past year and although we liked it, we didn't love it. Always walked to the far beaches and never felt it was all that special. Will definitely try Malfini in Jan. '08.

• 1 month later...
I asked this a while ago but has anyone done the Malfini Beach excursion lately? We're signed up for it but I'm wondering if I'll keep it.:confused:

My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and found this to be one of the most romantic and breathtaking excursions we've ever been on. We're doing it again late November 2007. It's a crescent shaped beach with cliffs on two sides protecting a lagoon with the ocean booming against the cliff walls, a steep mountain on a third side covered with jungle and beautiful flowers. There are sets of two chairs scattered around but far enough away from other sets to be private. The coral reefs are over 300 years old and so pristine that you have a mat, a mask and a snorkel. You don't use fins because the coral grows all the way to the surface and flippers would damage it. You just drift over it. You're greeted by 2 staff members holding a set of steps at the back of your launch so that you step directly onto the beach and don't have to get your feet wet if you don't want. You can sit high up on one cliffside in two thronelike chairs, watching the swimmers while having a refreshing drink from a coconut shell or swim and play away from the coral. Either way, when you get out of the water, another staff member will be there with a tray, tongs and damp washcloths to wash the salt from your face and hands. Royalty for $40?? YES!! Will I do it every time I am in Labadee? You can absolutely bet on it. It's a 4 hour excursion, leaving more then enough time for shopping or sunning the cruise ship area and more than worth the $$. On my honeymoon a few years ago. I felt like a queen. Look up on the cliffside to your right as you approach for 2 hidden chairs behind a ledge. Remember to bring a disposable waterproof camera and strap it to your wrist with the rubberband. The coral and fans are so great. Besides the complimentary coconut drink, there is a fresh mango snack. You may purchase additional drinks if you bring a bit of cash with you. Hubs and I give it 4 thumbs up. If you can get a spot, GO! Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

My husband and I went there on our honeymoon and found this to be one of the most romantic and breathtaking excursions we've ever been on. We're doing it again late November 2007. It's a crescent shaped beach with cliffs on two sides protecting a lagoon with the ocean booming against the cliff walls, a steep mountain on a third side covered with jungle and beautiful flowers. There are sets of two chairs scattered around but far enough away from other sets to be private. The coral reefs are over 300 years old and so pristine that you have a mat, a mask and a snorkel. You don't use fins because the coral grows all the way to the surface and flippers would damage it. You just drift over it. You're greeted by 2 staff members holding a set of steps at the back of your launch so that you step directly onto the beach and don't have to get your feet wet if you don't want. You can sit high up on one cliffside in two thronelike chairs, watching the swimmers while having a refreshing drink from a coconut shell or swim and play away from the coral. Either way, when you get out of the water, another staff member will be there with a tray, tongs and damp washcloths to wash the salt from your face and hands. Royalty for $40?? YES!! Will I do it every time I am in Labadee? You can absolutely bet on it. It's a 4 hour excursion, leaving more then enough time for shopping or sunning the cruise ship area and more than worth the $$. On my honeymoon a few years ago. I felt like a queen. Look up on the cliffside to your right as you approach for 2 hidden chairs behind a ledge. Remember to bring a disposable waterproof camera and strap it to your wrist with the rubberband. The coral and fans are so great. Besides the complimentary coconut drink, there is a fresh mango snack. You may purchase additional drinks if you bring a bit of cash with you. Hubs and I give it 4 thumbs up. If you can get a spot, GO! Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Body Double, do they serve food there or should we pack a picnic?

I think I found it! Based on various pictures from previous visitors that Google found for me, I have added a marker to the location I'm pretty sure is Malfini Beach. I added it to my Labadee Cruise Map. I don't think there is any danger in giving out the location, I don't think there are any other options for transportation there besides the cruise line's excursion!

You have to zoom "out" two or three clicks to see it on the same view as the rest of Labadee.

Theron

We were given about a quarter- a half a mango each and a drink in a coconut shell and always carrry our own water. You may purchase additional drinks and I can't remember if food was available for purchase. Pack a picnic. They're very particular about the condition of the beach, of course, so be sure and leave nothing behind but your footprints (wrappers and such). We smoked at the time and they didn't even allow ashes on the sand. Disgusting habit now.

As to the photo, that is definitely NOT Malfini Beach. I have a few photos from my honeymoon I browsed after posting the last item. I don't know how to insert them but am willing to share.

As to the photo, that is definitely NOT Malfini Beach. I have a few photos from my honeymoon I browsed after posting the last item. I don't know how to insert them but am willing to share.

What photo are you referring to? I don't see any posted photos or links to photos on this thread at all... other than the thumbnail in my signature which points to my Grandeur of the Seas album of Bermuda...

Theron

What photo are you referring to? I don't see any posted photos or links to photos on this thread at all... other than the thumbnail in my signature which points to my Grandeur of the Seas album of Bermuda...

Theron

Um, I think you need to reread her post.

Sorry, I thought you were referring to the photo on your post. I didn't see the mountains and was confused. I reread and am clear now.

I was suggesting Thereon reread your post. He/she was looking for your pics.;)

Um, I think you need to reread her post.

Nope, what I thought happened is indeed what did happen. She saw the thumbnail in my sig, and thought I had posted that as a picture of Malfini Beach. I use revolving thumbnails (whenever I get around tuit to revolve them :)) as links to my photo albums. I've never been to Malfini Beach, but it does sound very nice. :)

(The current thumbnail of confusion is Tobacco Bay in Bermuda.)

Theron

• 3 weeks later...
I think I found it! Based on various pictures from previous visitors that Google found for me, I have added a marker to the location I'm pretty sure is Malfini Beach. I added it to my Labadee Cruise Map. I don't think there is any danger in giving out the location, I don't think there are any other options for transportation there besides the cruise line's excursion!

You have to zoom "out" two or three clicks to see it on the same view as the rest of Labadee.

Theron

Hey Theron,

I am back from Labadee and paid more attention to the journey from the ship to Malfini Beach. You are good! The beach is actually the larger one to the right of your marker on the satellite view. Malfini is as spectacular as ever. The coral is still alive and colorful, but snorkel gear is no longer provided there, so bring some from home or the ship. Flippers are not allowed, as it grows close to the surface. No snack this time, but the drinks were stronger and I don't think anyone cared. It's still a "highly recommend" from me. Great maps and albums you have. Perhaps we'll cross paths again someday.

Cynthia

Hey Theron,

I am back from Labadee and paid more attention to the journey from the ship to Malfini Beach. You are good! The beach is actually the larger one to the right of your marker on the satellite view. Malfini is as spectacular as ever. The coral is still alive and colorful, but snorkel gear is no longer provided there, so bring some from home or the ship. Flippers are not allowed, as it grows close to the surface. No snack this time, but the drinks were stronger and I don't think anyone cared. It's still a "highly recommend" from me. Great maps and albums you have. Perhaps we'll cross paths again someday.

Cynthia

Hmm.. well this is rather confusing then. In that cove, there appear to be two beaches, one at the very bottom or "point" of the cove, and one just to the left, which I have marked as Malfini Beach.

I chose to mark the left beach because of the pictures I saw in this photo album:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/559273929MIIYGQ

Those pictures, especially obvious in the 2nd and 3rd photo, were definitely taken from the small beach to the left. In photo 2, the shore line on the horizon shows that the view is from the left beach, and in photo 3, you can see the larger beach at the "point" in the background. But you are saying that RCCL took you to that larger beach at the bottom of the cove?

Unless they use both from time to time, this is very confusing! Of course, the owner of that photo album doesn't say anything about RCCL, so I guess it is possible that they are on that beach through some means other than RCCL, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Theron

Archived