In need of Island Princess expert help

cls711

Hi all! My husband, my 15 yr. old son and myself are booked on the IP for the Panama Canal this Dec. We decided to do 2 balconies instead of our usual suite. That way we get 2 bathrooms and a little more sq. ft. Right now we have A625 &627 adjoining. The cons I see to these room are: small uncovered balconies, no privacy on balconies, being way too close to the kid zone. We could move to E705 & 709 with bigger covered balconies, with the cons being: not adjoining (but balconies connect), lower in ship, views from balcony not so great. I am sooooooo torn. Any expert advise or even just opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all! My husband, my 15 yr. old son and myself are booked on the IP for the Panama Canal this Dec. We decided to do 2 balconies instead of our usual suite. That way we get 2 bathrooms and a little more sq. ft. Right now we have A625 &627 adjoining. The cons I see to these room are: small uncovered balconies, no privacy on balconies, being way too close to the kid zone. We could move to E705 & 709 with bigger covered balconies, with the cons being: not adjoining (but balconies connect), lower in ship, views from balcony not so great. I am sooooooo torn. Any expert advise or even just opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I have sailed the Island 5 times and you are right that is way to close to the Kids Zone and your Balcony is very open to the upper decks, even as far as people throwing things onto it from the Lido deck.

I would take the Emerald deck balconies. Be aware that the Emerald only connact via the balcony and not the inside door in the Aloha rooms. :)

We've been on the Island and Coral Princess (sister ships) and was on the Coral Princess when we went through the Panama Canal. The Emerald Deck is wonderful because of the covered balconies and they are a little deeper than other balconies. You won't be sorry!

It seems strange to want to downgrade from BC to BE, but I'm convinced it's a good move. Thanks again!

I agree! we are booked on Coral for the Canal and chose a BE on Emerald also - we usually always get a BB on Caribe, so this is a bit of a deviation for us.

There are two locations that an Emerald balcony is especially wonderful for. Alaska, so if it's raining you are till completely covered on your balcony while you are watching the gorgeous scenery and wildlife, and Panama Canal because the sun is very hot and it will keep you shaded and your room a bit cooler. Also because you are lower on the ship, if you love wildlife keep your eye out for the dolphins that swim close to the ship in Alaska and for sea turtles that follow along on the Panama Canal itinerary. I've never been on Caribe Deck but I know everyone loves the size of it. Even though it is partially covered, the covering won't be of benefit to you when you want to lean over the rail to look at ships in front of you or behind you, etc. in the Panama Canal. You are going to love the Emerald Deck for these purposes.

• 3 months later...

I don't think you will have to worry about the kid zone on the Panama Canal trip. We just returned and I saw 4 children the entire 11 days and I thought they must really be bored because there wasn't much going on to entertain children that I saw.

Archived