How do I explain the muster drill to my 3yo?

Paleochick

I just had a :eek:panic attack:eek: (well, almost). If I tell my 3yo that we have to practice with life vests in case something bad happens to the ship, he'll spend the entire cruise worrying about his safety. How did you explain it to your preschooler? Thanks.

Oh that's easy, you don't tell him...lol. My kids think it's one big dress up party. Now my 7 year old knows what it's for, but my 3 year old...no idea. She thinks it's fun to try to blow the whistle on the vest while mommy has a germophobe heart attack. :eek:

And during the drill, they don't say things like "If the ship sinks" lol

They will say things like "In the event of an emergency and you hear one long whistle, then make your way to your station"

No worries!

Oh that's easy, you don't tell him...lol. My kids think it's one big dress up party. Now my 7 year old knows what it's for, but my 3 year old...no idea. She thinks it's fun to try to blow the whistle on the vest while mommy has a germophobe heart attack. :eek:

And during the drill, they don't say things like "If the ship sinks" lol

They will say things like "In the event of an emergency and you hear one long whistle, then make your way to your station"

No worries!

Thanks! We'll just have fun with it. :D

Really think he will find it more interesting. My DD does have an issue with taking off the life jacket...as she is on a 19ft boat regularly and has to wear it all the time, so why not on a ship.

They do make announcements but they do not say anything to make people nervous. We told her if the alarm goes off we get to ride in the little boats, and talk about how fun that might be. Never a time when she should not be safe. We have been very truthful with her that the ship could sink, but we just get in the little boats and everything will be fine.

We spend time preping her for such things that may make her nervous before we go somewhere. Before we went to Disney (she was 18 months) we talked about Goofy being bigger than daddy... and there was no problem when we got there either. Even though there were 2 kids infront of her screaming and looking afraid fo Mickey Mouse.

You could even add in that its for his safety, just like in a car you need a car seat the people on the ship are just telling us how to wear a life jacket in case. No big deal. You keep the mood light, and they kid will read your mood. Kids are great that way.

I agree. Just say it's for safety like your car seat except that Mommy and Daddy(?) get to wear one too.

Have a great trip!

Barbara

Is he in preschool? If so I'm sure he's done a fire drill before. Just compare it to that. You could also say something about this is how they count all the people to make sure everyone is on board.

Good idea, but he does preschool in his teacher's house. I think they've only talked about fire safety. I don't think they've lined up and gone outside during a drill. I really think he'll be fine. I couldn't remember if they talked about what might happen and what constitutes an emergency on the ship during the muster drill. It sounds like they just talk about an emergency. He knows about emergencies. Thanks.

Archived