Dumbest Item Purchased?

Krazy Kruizers

My daughter just HAD to have one of those garishly painted guitars from a tchotchka stand in Costa Maya. Just like the ekerr19, I told my 8 year old that she had to carry it. Yup, guess who dragged it out of the port and through the airports (moi!).

The other stupid thing was a handicraft drum from Jamaica. Seemed like something my then 7 year old son would like. We carefully packed and hand-carried it home. The second day home we heard a loud BANG! Seems the humidity between Jamaica and ice-cold Minnesota are a little different in the winter. That drum split itself in half - violently. After that I learned that you're supposed wrap up wooden items and leave them tightly wrapped for about a month if you're going between two very different climates. We bought some beautiful wood carvings on our last cruise to Guatemala and Belize, and this method worked very well. Of course it could have also been that they were a little better quality than the green wood drum from Jamaica. But lesson learned anyway.

My daughter just HAD to have one of those garishly painted guitars from a tchotchka stand in Costa Maya. Just like the ekerr19, I told my 8 year old that she had to carry it. Yup, guess who dragged it out of the port and through the airports (moi!).

The other stupid thing was a handicraft drum from Jamaica. Seemed like something my then 7 year old son would like. We carefully packed and hand-carried it home. The second day home we heard a loud BANG! Seems the humidity between Jamaica and ice-cold Minnesota are a little different in the winter. That drum split itself in half - violently. After that I learned that you're supposed wrap up wooden items and leave them tightly wrapped for about a month if you're going between two very different climates. We bought some beautiful wood carvings on our last cruise to Guatemala and Belize, and this method worked very well. Of course it could have also been that they were a little better quality than the green wood drum from Jamaica. But lesson learned anyway.

Oh, cruzngal - you have me in stitches!!! Thanks for the laugh - I needed it. :)

I really thought we were the only ones who were stupid enought to buy one of those guitars. Thanks for the info on the wood purchases too! My DH was tempted with a drum once, I said he'd have to carry it - that was the end of that!

Archived