Any Snorkel tours to Anse Chastanet Beach?

Jill and Jo

Does anyone know of any tours that take you to Anse Chastanet to snorkel? From what I am reading, it is the best place to snorkel in St. Lucia. Does anyone know how this compares to Anse Cochon for snorkeling? Is one better than the other? Thanks for any information that you can provide!

Jill and Jo - we've snorkeled at both and I would rate them about equal, but different. You'll have to go into deeper water at Anse Chastenet (about 20 feet of so, and I think I saw as many scuba divers below us as fish!) but it is beautiful with a wide variety of marine life and healthy coral. Not a huge area that is practical to snorkel though; the water drops off pretty quickly. At Anse Cochon you snorkel along either side of the bay and the water is relatively shallow - however - beware of the current! It sweeps down one side of the bay, along the beach and then out along the other side. You kind of think "this is easy!" until you turn around to get back in and it can be very fatigueing at best and downright scary at worst. Keep watch on the soft corals and the way they bend to determine the direction and force of the current because it's pretty hard to judge just how strong it is when you're swimming with it. The overall force of the current is relative to the moon cycle of course (full or new moon periods = stronger current). There is plenty to see along the edges of the bay on each side, although we thought the side below Ti Kaye was more colorful. While Anse Chastenet is absolutely beautiful, we will most likely return to Anse Cochon on our return to St. Lucia next April. You can arrange for a water taxi to take you to Anse Cochon from the cruise port. I think it cost something like $70 per person, which included lunch and a drink at the cool little bar/restaurant right on the beach. Do search "Ti Kaye Village St. Lucia" for the details.

Hope this helps - you won't make the wrong decision no matter which one you choose, both places are spectacular!!!

Gene and Kathy from Cape Cod

Archived