special diet and casual clothes on formal nights

Dena

Will DH be forced to wear a suit and go to the main dining room on formal nights in order to get food that won't make him sick?

DH needs a special diet. Each night the waiter brings him a menu so he can plan his dinner for the next night.

Princess won't deliver dining room food to the cabins unless one is in a suite (we are not); almost nothing on the very limited room service menu is safe for him. Will they send his meals up to Horizon Court so he can dine safely?

If your DH needs such a restrictive diet that he's choosing meals 24 hr ahead, I would say that he'll need to wear at least a sports coat on formal night and go to the dining room. While they make make an exception if you talk to the maitre de, I would say that having a special meal delivered to the Horizon Court is out of the question, as is having it delivered to your cabin.

Yes, this has been our assumption as well, and in fact we've never even asked about having the food sent to the room or Horizon Court.

On the other hand we've never been on a cruise with 3 formal nights before. And having safe food in a casual setting really doesn't seem like an outrageous request.

Surely others must have some first hand experince with this.

Just a thought....but if they will be accommodating your DH with a speical diet for dinner, perhaps he could AT LEAST wear a dress shirt and tie with his sport coat on formal nite??:confused: However, a dark suit would be much better, just change the ties!:p

Just a thought....but if they will be accommodating your DH with a speical diet for dinner, perhaps he could wear a dress shirt and tie with his sport coat on formal nite??:confused:

DH would be happy to do this - he is bringing a sports coat and dress shirt for "smart casual" - packing a tie as well is no problem. But is this enough, or will he be turned away for not wearing a tux or dark suit - the sports coat is mocha-brown linen, the trousers will be in a similar shade (not black, navy, or charcoal). The shoes will be brown.

DH would be happy to do this - he is bringing a sports coat and dress shirt for "smart casual" - packing a tie as well is no problem. But is this enough, or will he be turned away for not wearing a tux or dark suit - the sports coat is mocha-brown linen, the trousers will be in a similar shade (not black, navy, or charcoal). The shoes will be brown.

He will be fine! A dress shirt, tie and sport jacket will be fine! Go and have a nice meal and enjoy. He will be dressed better than a lot of the men. There is no reason to eat in your cabin.

After all of the years of discussion about formal nights, I think that most would agree that your husband's outfit would be a delight. I, too, am on a restrictive diet (gluten-free) and eating in the dining rooms is the safest way to go. Have a wonderful cruise!

-P

I, too, am on a restrictive diet (gluten-free) and eating in the dining rooms is the safest way to go. Have a wonderful cruise!

-P

DH also needs gluten-free. He has always been accommodated on the Sapphire and Diamond - although nothing "extra" was done - he was usually given jello or fresh fruit for dessert.

Conversely, on the Dawn Princess he was given special desserts. These were not requested, but were surprises. Also, a plate of cookies was given to him after dessert - different kinds each night. We learned that another gluten-free diner was onboard Dawn, so maybe she was more demanding and DH got some of the goodies she asked for, or maybe Diamond and Sapphire are just to big for this extra service. On the other hand, we are sailing on Diamond again and have received a letter saying they will make special gluten free deserts and cookies - since this has not been our past experience on the Diamond/Sapphire, we don't know what to expect. Perhaps it depends upon the number of Celiacs they have on each sailing.

No matter what anyone on these boards says, or anyone at Princess tells you, I would not bet the ranch on receiving "safe" meals outside the dining room on any night. If you DH has conditions that restrict what he can eat to the extent that he has to order meals 24 hours in advance, why would he not bring clothes that are appropriate for formal night. This is the only way to be sure he will receive "safe" food. To me it is a no brainer - wear formal clothes and stay well or dress casual and risk your health. Duh

Dena,

You and your DH do what you have to do and don't mine the mean responses. We just went on an Alaskan cruise this past Sept and my DH did not dress up on the formal nights and we went both night for a sit down dinner. He wore dress pants and shirt with tie. He doesn't wear a suit and I wasn't going to spend the $$ on buying him one when he would never wear it again. We had no problems at all from anyone during those 2 formal nights.

Archived