Upgrading Cabin - At embarktion?

2Okies

I have no idea if this is even a possibility, but thought I would ask all of you experts...:)

My daughter & I are cruising w/a friend & her daughter. We booked our cruise first, and are on the Empress deck. They booked later, through a different travel agency, and are on the Riviera. We have got our booking numbers linked so we can hopefully dine together. I just wondered if there would be any chance that Carnival might upgrade her cabin since our booking numbers are linked (it's her first cruise, our 2nd) to the Empress deck? I don't really know how upgrades work (do they cost you more?) Do they tell you they can upgrade when you are boarding, or is that something you would know before you board?

Just wondering. Of course, it doesn't matter that much really if we aren't on the same floor, but it would be nice. And, they are at the very front of the ship and we're going to be at the very back. We figure at least we'll have a bathroom at both ends!

Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Honestly, it's possible, but not likely. Most ships go out at full capacity, or very close to it. And you would probably have to pay an upgrade fee if there was something available. I would suggest that you just pay to upgrade her now if that's where you really want them to be.

The same thing is just happened to me 2 days ago, my friend and i booked a 1A guarantee, later 2 more people decided to join us, they booked same cabin type as us, my friend and i received an upgrade to a 4C, the other 2 did not, i called to see what could be done.....they were able to get our friends in the cabin right next door to us for $10 extra, it was worth it because their cabin was riviera deck, almost very front of the ship, ours was right off the aft elevator 2 decks up.

It is rare now days to receive an upgrade at the pier so we decided to take care of it before hand.

Since your friend is a first time cruiser, the past cruiser free upgrades you often get at the time of booking wouldnt be available to her.

Just go to the carnival site and pretend to book and check the price of your booking. For instance if you are in a inside cabin, 3 decks up from the riveria, you are in a 4C, check the 4C prices. I cant remember how many decks up Empress is.

The same thing is just happened to me 2 days ago, my friend and i booked a 1A guarantee, later 2 more people decided to join us, they booked same cabin type as us, my friend and i received an upgrade to a 4C, the other 2 did not, i called to see what could be done.....they were able to get our friends in the cabin right next door to us for $10 extra, it was worth it because their cabin was riviera deck, almost very front of the ship, ours was right off the aft elevator 2 decks up.

It is rare now days to receive an upgrade at the pier so we decided to take care of it before hand.

Who did you call? Your travel agent, or Carnival? We booked through a travel agent.

I see that your cruise is 15 days away.

Call your TA right away to see if a change is possible, and be prepared to pay for the upgrade.

I wouldn't wait till I got to the ship...as another poster mentioned almost all sailings are really close to or at capacity.

Good luck.

Payd:)

Archived