Kantishna Roadhouse Tour at Denali. Is the long ride worth it?

happy2

Geri at Talkeetna Aero talked me into signing up for the tour to Kantisha in Denali National Park. It takes 5 hours to get there, then there is lunch, sightseeing, and optional activites for 2 hours, and a five hour ride back out. Has anyone done this tour? Does anyone know anything about it? I still have time to cancel! What should I do?
Thanks!

I think it much better to consider an over night there at one of the lodges- it is mostly private property in Kantishna. And enjoy the activities offered, guided hikes etc. Otherwise I would just take the cheap shuttle to Wonder Lake- 5 miles away. Rethink this if going mid season- significant BUG problems, so much so, I won't go before end of August again. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Yes, we did it in very late August 2002. We had a fantastic day. Very few people on the bus (about 10) the bus driver was VERY knowledgable and entertaining (he was downrightfunny). Stopped frequently for pictures and wildlife sightings. Almost all the the wildlife we saw was AFTER we left the visitors center. If we would have done the normal tour to the visitor's center, we would have missed the bear and her three cubs and the moose. Of course, wildlife sightings are the luck of the draw.

Nice gift shop in Kantishna that had excellent bargains (end of season closeouts). Lunch was decent, nothing spectacular. The Kantishna Lodge is pretty neat. Loved the rocking chairs on the front porch. Dog sledding exhibition was OK, but we had spent the previous evening at Jeff King's kennel, so it wasn't as much fun as it could have been.

What was really neat-we flew back!!! It was a totally cloudless day. Again, luck of the draw. A lady got on the bus when we arrived in Kantishna and said they were flying extra flights that day because it was so clear. Even brought in an extra plane. $145.00pp, CC accepted. We volunteered to be the last passengers out of Kantishna on the planes that day. (learned that little trick the year before in Peru) We got the ride of our lives. Seems like we were up there flying around for hours (really 2+ for what should have been a a 1 1/4 hour tour). Flying straight into the Wickersham Wall (sp) is a real adrenaline rush. My DH thought we were going to crash-and we were still a mile away. Pilot was going off duty so he just lazed away. It was FANTASTIC. If you have the chance, I would take the bus to Kantishna and book the flight out. We flew with [url="http://www.katair.com/"]http://www.katair.com/[/url]. Chief pilot-Greg

I just looked at their website. They now have a trip which is bus in and fly out for $265.00. The whole day was worth it for us.

We have been to Alaska 4 consecutive years, always late Aug-Sept. We have been all over the state, so if you need further info, email. We leave again this year on Aug. 31-Sept. 12. Spending 3 days in the Katmai enjoying the bears and the rest of the time on the Kenai.

Greatam,
You made me feel a lot better about having reservations for this tour. Did you reserve the flight back ahead of time or did it just become available? Do you think we can wait until we get there to decide if we want to fly or drive back?
Now, I'm getting excited!
Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happy2:
Greatam,
You made me feel a lot better about having reservations for this tour. Did you reserve the flight back ahead of time or did it just become available? Do you think we can wait until we get there to decide if we want to fly or drive back?
Now, I'm getting excited!
Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the tour!!! Even if the flight is not avaiable.

From what I have researched, only about 20% of the people that go to Alaska actually see Denali in all it's glory. We were VERY, VERY fortunate. We actually saw the mountain in all it's splendor two days in a row-we took the train from Fairbanks and saw the mountain with no clouds from the train very clearly and also the next day, the day we took the flight from Kantishna.

The flight was spur of the moment-we did not know until we got to Kantishna that such wondrous flights were even available. I had researched flying over Denali-sometimes its good and sometimes its bad. We just happened to end up on a day when it was VERY, VERY GOOD.

If I was to do it again, because of the VERY changing weather conditions, I think I would pay extra to book the flight, if the day was clear. I was very happy with what we planned (round trup Kantishna) and if I was to go back to Kantishna, I would see what the weather was doing before I booked the flight. I would book the return trip from Kantisna on the bus and IF IT WAS CLEAR AND I COULD FLY, I would do that and so what about the money. May be a few more dollars, but I was one of the 20% for TWO DAYS. Doesn't happen often-maybe it will happen to you. Once in a lifetime experience!!!

Archived