flight-medication require refrigeration

4275princess

My sister-in-law had arthritis medication which needed refridgeration--The drug company supplied her with a small "travel cooler" that kept her injections cool enough for a long flight.

If it's for insulin, check at the pharmacy--they should have something suitable. If it's a different medication, check with the drug maker--they may have suggestions for you--or at least tell you how long the "chill" will last!

I have the same insulated bag and plan to use a frozen gel-pack to keep it cool for a very long flight. Is TSA going to allow the frozen ice/gel pack? If I cannot refreeze it, I will use a baggie of ice later too.

I am a pharmacist. Did you know that an insulin vial that's "in use" can be stored at room temperature for one month? It is not necessary to refrigerate it, just store it away from extreme heat or cold (such as in your purse).

Of course, don't take my word for it. Ask your pharmacist, or read the package insert that comes inside the insulin box, or google "insulin storage" to confirm my answer.

For other "refrigerated" medicines, do the same research. Most are stable at room temperature for a reasonable amount of time.

The best source for info is, of course, the proverbial horse's mouth -- or in this case, the TSA website. Since the TSA screeners can be rather erratic in their interpretation of the rules, I would print out the following page and carry it with me.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/index.shtm

Additionally, we are continuing to permit prescription liquid medications and other liquids needed by persons with disabilities and medical conditions. This includes:

<snip>

• Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.

However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security Officer. A declaration can be made verbally, in writing, or by a person's companion, caregiver, interpreter, or family member.

Declared liquid medications and other liquids for disabilities and medical conditions must be kept separate from all other property submitted for x-ray screening.

A couple of week ago I was faced with the same problem. We were meeting my mom in Las Vegas and she forgot her insulin at home. I took it thru secruity and then found a resturant in the airport. I got a insulated coffee cup with ice in it, and put the insulin in it. It still had ice in once we reached the hotel in Vegas. That was a 4 hour flight, with 30 minutes to the hotel. Of course she told that I didn't need to keep it cold, as long as the temp. weren't extreme it would have been fine.

Check with the drug company or your pharmacist to see if your meds can actually be kept out of the fridge for any length of time. My friend takes injections once a week for her MS and she always thought the meds had to be in the fridge at all times - and they are shipped to her in a cooler, too. Shortly before a plane trip, she found out that she can keep her meds out of the fridge for up to a week, which was perfect for her trip! :)

I have the same insulated bag and plan to use a frozen gel-pack to keep it cool for a very long flight. Is TSA going to allow the frozen ice/gel pack? If I cannot refreeze it, I will use a baggie of ice later too.

This is exactly what I have. One time a TSA agent saw mentioned that it was for my medication, and I did not have any problems. I have flown with it for 3 years now and haven't had one problem.

Thanks Michelle and all. Good to know the frozen gel pack will get through. I really have it easy compared to some in that I have one injectable pen every two weeks. Since we will be gone more than that, I have to keep it cold for about 5 days then I'm ice-free. Not sure if I will use the insulated bag or a small insulated collapsible cooler, whatever takes up the least space in my rolling back pack carryon. I hate carryon but with a long trip and all the meds etc. it is really needed.

Archived