Fan in cabin

lucy9465

I am cruising in 3 weeks on the valor and every night before I go to sleep I have to sleep with the ceiling fan on high, the air on 74 and a box fan on low blowing right in my face. My question is this can you bring a box fan of 10 inches onto the ship? It is rechargeable, can use reg. batteries, has a regular ac adapter and a car adapter. It will easily fit on the corner of a dresser. And I don't think it will take up tp much space it is very light and I really need it to breathe better. Do you think I will have any problems? Also how many suitcases can you bring with you on the ship, are there any limitations and do liquids have to be in 3 ounce bottles? The fan will be in the miscellaneous suitcase with all of the other strange things that need bringing and all will be checked. We figure 3 large suitcases 1 for each adult, amd 1 miscellaneous bag for things like the fan and miscellaneous things, 1 garment bag for all 3 of us, 3 medicine, toiletries, makeup bags and 3 carry on/totes. Is there a limit also on the weight for the cruise ship? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Kat

I am cruising in 3 weeks on the valor and every night before I go to sleep I have to sleep with the ceiling fan on high, the air on 74 and a box fan on low blowing right in my face. My question is this can you bring a box fan of 10 inches onto the ship? It is rechargeable, can use reg. batteries, has a regular ac adapter and a car adapter. It will easily fit on the corner of a dresser. And I don't think it will take up tp much space it is very light and I really need it to breathe better. Do you think I will have any problems? Also how many suitcases can you bring with you on the ship, are there any limitations and do liquids have to be in 3 ounce bottles? The fan will be in the miscellaneous suitcase with all of the other strange things that need bringing and all will be checked. We figure 3 large suitcases 1 for each adult, amd 1 miscellaneous bag for things like the fan and miscellaneous things, 1 garment bag for all 3 of us, 3 medicine, toiletries, makeup bags and 3 carry on/totes. Is there a limit also on the weight for the cruise ship? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Kat

Your fan is only 10"? We are bringing a desk fan for my kids (white noise at night). It is about 11". As long as your fan has a standard plug, it shouldn't be a problem. Bring an extension cord since you'll probably only have one main outlet in your cabin.

As far as baggage...this is from Carnival:

Ticket Contract: Page 44. (a) Each fully paid adult guest will be allowed an unlimited amount of baggage free of charge. Baggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

X-Ray Security Machines for security purposes, carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 24"X 16", which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similarto those used at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 24"X 16" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

Are you flying? If so, carry-on liquids have to be in a quart size bag, and 3oz or less.

From tsa:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure.

Have a great trip!

If you're flying into the port, you're greatly limited by the airlines as to how many bags and the weight of each bag. If you're flying, you're limited to two checked bags, weighing no more than 50lbs. If you're driving to the port, you're limited to a "reasonable" number of bags on the ship, and if you're driving to the port, there's no restrictions on the amount of liquid items in your carry on. Can you bring a fan? Sure.

Unless I'm misreading your post, I think you're going to have too many carry on items for the airline. Many airlines are being very strict with carry ons, so if you're going to have your carry on, a purse and your make up/medicine bags, they're not going to allow you to bring all that on the plane. You will be allowed ONE carry on plus your purse. You're going to have to consolidate your things by putting your makeup in a checked bag (TSA gets really cranky about toiletries and makeup in carry ons) and your medicine in your regular carry on or purse.

I also sleep with a fan both for white noise and for the air on my face at night. Mine is round but about the same size and it fits in my suitcase fine. You will most likely need and extension cord and the power strip is also a great idea as plugs are limited. I've used the fan on two cruises and it's done ok for both!

Thanks for all your help. Iam driving to pier so most of my stuff except medications will be checked.

Thanks

Kat

Kat - since you're driving to the port, you can take all you wish! ;)

I take a fan on every cruise. If I'm flying, I try to fit it into my suitcase or will ship it to the hotel where we stay pre-cruise. I can't sleep without my fan and I use an electric one.

At the end of the sailing, if there is no room to bring it back, I offer it to my cabin steward along with the extension cord. There are a lot of cabin stewards out there who have fans that I have gifted to them - they really appreciate it and it saves me from dragging it home!

Happy sailing! :)

Thanks for posting this question!

I have a very difficult time sleeping in new places, and it's nearly impossible without the white noise of a fan.

I wanted to bring my little box fan along but had not gotten around to asking yet.

:)

Lucy--One of the best pieces of advice that I've gotten from Cruise Critic is to put all of the clothes that you're going to take with you on your bed. Then...put half of them back in the closet and drawers.

I didn't believe it (or do it) the first cruise. Now I do it everytime!

Archived