Retiring the Majesty in 2007

justbookit1

Yes this is true. They are not sure yet which ship will replace her. Any bigger ships cannot fit through the cut going into St. George. Bermuda is considering widening the cut to accomodate wider ships. The Crown is also being phased out as NCL is getting rid of all the older ships. The Majesty is going into drydock for a 2 million dollar refurbishment in October. We were on the ship last week and one of the officers gave us this info

Pat

From an officer, I can tell you this:

Sea: Going 4/06

Wind: 4/07

The Crown, Majesty, Sea, Wind, and Dream are all going to Star Cruises in the next several years.

NCLA hopes to have 5 ships by 2007: PO Aloha, PO America, PO Hawaii, S/S United States, and S/S Independence (now 4... because I believe that one was sold for scrap).

-Brian

Yes, the refurbishment is this October in Boston. The ship will be in service with NCL for 2 more years so you will be able to sail on her next year. I forgot to ask where the money will be spent but I too hope it will be new mattresses! I doubt $2 million will go very far.

We were told by several crew members on the Majesty last week that the Majesty will be going to Orient in 2007. NCLs contract with Bermuda for docking rights to Ordinance Island terminates at the end of 2006. Unless the St. George's cut is enlarged, which many Bermudians are against, there will be no more NCL ships docking at Ordinance Island. One crew member who has been on the Majesty for several years said it has been mentioned the the Norwegian Jewel will be taking over the Boston-Bermuda Itinerary in 2007.

Maybe they'll tell us which rooms receive the new mattresses and we can book those (LOL). Does the post from sbcs5390 mean that all NCL ships will become NCLA? What would be the reason for that?

No, I was just theorzing because it seems that Mr. Veitch had a little artistic kick with the POAloha. :)

I personally can't wait until the Spirit comes to NY in Nov 2005... meaning we can try it in summer 2006... that will be great.

The Jewel will be an interesting option, too.

I can't wait to see 4 years from now what NCL and it's little brother (NCLA) will be like... I suspect it will be something very different.

-Brian

Ps- Bballmom, does Ordinance Island= Hamilton or Royal Naval? Thx.. been several years since we did on the old X, I mean the Zenith. :)

Ordinance Island is IMHO, the best docking area in Bermuda. The Majesty stays there for your entire stay instead of island hopping. I like the quiet of St. George as opposed to the hustle and bustle of Hamilton. I have never been to the Dockyard but have been told it is desolate out there.

The Majesty is going for refurbishment immediately after her last cruise in October. Not sure of the exact date but it I believe the last cruise takes place the last week of October.

The Jewel will be too big to fit through. Thus it would have to dock in Hamilton or the Dockyards. Unless the cut is widened, there won't be many ships fitting through anymore. I read on another board that Celebrity is selling the Zenith and Horizon so they won't be traveling the route after they are phased out in a few years.

No more small ship comforts while traveling to Bermuda :( Guess we will all be stuck with the megaships from now on.

For suemac...

Many thanks for the info. It would be interesting to see the ship again after the refit...hope my mother-in-law wants to cruise again in 2005 with the family!

Debjo

• 1 year later...

After looking at the Cruise Calendar since I'm booked on the NCL Magesty's New Year's crusie, I'm guessing that she isnt getting the 2 million dollar refurbishment in October of this year after all? Does anyone have any further information on this?

After looking at the Cruise Calendar since I'm booked on the NCL Magesty's New Year's crusie, I'm guessing that she isnt getting the 2 million dollar refurbishment in October of this year after all? Does anyone have any further information on this?

Check the dates on the above postings. The one that referred to the refurbishment "this" October was made in 2004, so any refurbishing was done two years ago.

I would love to see Norwegian Jewel take over Majesty's Boston to Bermuda run--even if the ship only has one or two days in Bermuda. A stop in Newport or Martha's Vineyard would be nice. We cruised on RCCL Jewel of the Seas from Boston to Bermuda and the Caribbean last October and will be on Crown Princess this October with a stop in the Dockyards on Bermuda's West End at the end of the cruise. Jewel of the Seas spent two days in Bermuda. We loved the West End--especially Snorkel Beach.

I love NCL Dawn, so I'm sure I would enjoy NCL Jewel. The Majesty is too old for me to cruise. I like all the dining choices on the newer ships.

The Majesty just underwent a $2 million refurbishment in October, two years ago, in Boston. Maybe someone found an old post.

I know this thread was started two years ago, but is there an update on the Majesty retiring?

I've read rumours that Louis Cruise Lines, sailing from Cyprus, is interested in purchasing the Majesty. But there has been no deals formally announced yet. Meanwhile, NCL is selling cruises for the Majesty until April 12, 2008. What will happen to the Majesty after that date's cruise is unknown.

Looking for breaks in the Majesty's schedule, which might indicate a drydock, I've found none that's too long. There's a gap twice in 2007 that's two weeks long when it repositions between Boston and Charleston, and vice versa. Two weeks is long enough for a quick drycock. But the 2006 repo cruises were approximately two weeks long, so I'm not sure if a drydock is scheduled for quite some time for the Majesty. The last drydock for the Majesty occurred in October 2004. Late 2007 would be three years between drydocks, a long interval between drydocks for most cruise ships.

I'm a little confused. How does an August '04 post make it to the top of the pile? At first, I thought I was reading new news about Majesty. As far as I can tell, she's still sailing next summer ('07) 'cause I've been looking into booking her. Anybody have any current information to the contrary???

Archived