What to do for a day in Punta del Este

corindli

A nice simple question, which I hope will get a huge variety of answers (not necessarily simple). We are in this port almost at the end of our cruise, with only a stop in Montevideo ahead before we finish in Buenos Aires. (Please don't suggest a day out to Montevideo!). The cruise offers don't look to be very inspiring, so we are open to all of the great ideas which I hope will now arrive.....

PS. We have done very well indeed and acted upon useful information from our previous posts regarding this cruise, so I am optimistic..... I think.

John

Hi there,

We found a local operator in Punta del Este that offers several excursion options. We are taking a day tour to Piriapolis that includes a visit to an estancia, and a horse ride up a hill for great views of the coast line. Because of cruise critic policy, I can not tell you their name until you ask for it on this board (silly, uh?).

Noel

Hi Noel (Troy86)

Phew! waited so so long for anybody to answer on this one. My original optimism got lost in the clouds somewhere. Punta del Este is clearly a bit of a challenge.

Thanks very much for answering the call for assistance, and yes please could you supply the name of the tour operator. (We are on Infinity by the way arriving there Jan 4 2008).

Thanks again in advance, and hi also to Sue Ann (Trainer) and Stevek

Corina and John

Where I can't find much interesting to do. I am on the Infinity leaving Santiago Dec 22. Sounds like you may be on the same ship (have you checked out the roll call thread, there are at least 15 of us). Neither Punte Del Este nor Montivideo sound all that interesting to me. I am with a pretty large group and our group organizer, who is usually very good about these things and who has been on this cruise before (and knows what I like) suggested two thing, do the beach thing like you are on St. Thomas etc or do Sea Wolves Island, which she thought was interesting. Punte del Este is comparable to South Beach in Florida and it will be really hopping given that we will be there at the end of the Argentine holiday break.

I can only find one tour book of Uruguay and it only gives it 10% of the book (Lonely Planet - Argentina, Uraguay and Paraguay). Neither Frommers nor Fodors include it in anything besides a little in their South America tour books. Basically they say, go to the beach. One of my best friends has a winter home in Buenos Aires, so I am waiting for her to get back from there to see if she has any suggestions.

Hi Corina and John,

We are on the same cruise !! (Infinity leaving Valparaiso on December 22nd)

There is a board for this particular cruise, so I invite you to post there. That board has been very quiet, so we need some new blood over there. It is located in the Roll Calls - Celebrity Connections board. This link should get you there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=434681 (you might need to log in again). This will be our 2nd time doing this itinerary (first time in 2004), but last time we did not stop in Punta del Este

Regarding the operator in Punta del Este, the name of the company is Alvaro Gimeno Turismo. They have a website, but is is in spanish: http://www.alvarogimenoturismo.com (click on "turismo receptivo", a list of excursions will appear on a column on the right. I would assume that they must have guides that speak english, because they are recommended by latest Frommer's guide. I would suggest contacting them via email and asking them for a tour list in english: gimeno@adinet.com.uy (note: their emails have been short and to the point, so don't expect much of a narrative when they reply)

Just to give you an idea of pricing: we booked a trip to the town of Piriapolis with a visit to a local farm including a horseback ride to a lookout point overlooking Rio de la Plata(around 6 hrs) for $190 us for the 3 of us.

Finally, we tried another operator (Buemes) that does tours here and in Montevideo, but they have been contracted by the cruise line.

Greetings,

Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Noel, and 'Dochawk',

I'm finally back 'on line' so thanks for the help, but it still looks like a bit of a struggle, especially when compared to the really very interesting things earlier in the cruise. Sea Wolves Island: well maybe... a visit to Piriapolis.. also possible.

One thing we are not, is 'lay on the beach people' We don't go on that holiday. Oh well.

Noel, I'm now going to send off a mail to Alvaro Gimeno- thanks for the suggestion- and in English. I'll see what arrives back. I looked at their site, and with my level of Spanish.. well hasta la vista etc.! No chance.

By the way, I have been checking out the roll calls. Not sure about joining the team though. We are not anti-social- honest! - but we do do our own thing mostly, at least to start with. We'll see. Enjoying the posting contacts though, and really getting a bunch of useful information for various questions- not just this one. Thanks again.

And if anybody else reads this and has the Worlds Best Idea without any dispute for Punta de Este: Share it PLEASE!

Ciao, all.

John and Corina

Punta Del Este and Montevideo are both covered in Lonely Planet - Buenos Aires Guide - yes I was surprised too!

The old part of Montevideo is supposed to be very attractive and if you like museums this could be your heaven! Punta is basically a beach resort - but classy. I'm aiming for sun, beach, cocktails and shopping before we head to the penguins! There is one calm water area suitable for families and one which is livelier water for body boarding etc.

Hope this hels.

Angie

Archived