Still have time to purchase travel insurance?

loops

We cruise in 55 days. My mother-in-law who will be traveling with us recently had some coronary stents put in. She's not feeling 100% (very tired). I'm nervous she's not going to be "up" for the cruise and now that we made final payment we will loose the money if she cancels (we are treating her to the cruise). Can I still get travel insurance for her....do we all have to get the insurance or can we purchase it for her only?

We cruise in 55 days. My mother-in-law who will be traveling with us recently had some coronary stents put in. She's not feeling 100% (very tired). I'm nervous she's not going to be "up" for the cruise and now that we made final payment we will loose the money if she cancels (we are treating her to the cruise). Can I still get travel insurance for her....do we all have to get the insurance or can we purchase it for her only?

Please take this as not a bash, but why would you not want to get the insurance too. Anything can happen, as it did to your MIL. You can loose so much money if you choose not to purchase the insurance, if something happens and you are not able to go on your cruise. Purchase the insurance, but I am not sure about your MIL, it would be considered a previous condition. Call either Carnival or some other insurance company and see what they say.

Q.

What is the definition of a Pre-Existing Medical Condition?

A.

The definition of a Pre-Existing Medical Condition varies from company to company. Generally, this would be any injury, disease or illness to You, a Traveling Companion, Family Member, or Business Partner occurring prior to and including the effective date of your insurance.

Q.

What is the Pre-Existing Condition Period?

A.

This is the number of days that the insurance company will "look back" from the day the insurance was purchased, to see if your claim is related to a Pre-Existing Medical Condition.

not sure if this helps

if you go and buy a car and have an accident without insurance you can go out and buy insurance but its not going to repair the car but it will if something else were to happen after its purchased.

I do hope your MIL is feeling better soon. hopefully she will back and better than ever soon.

I guess the reason we didn't get insurance is because all the times we've traveled nothing has happened....but there is always a first time for everything.

We booked the cruise before we knew she needed the stents, she didn't know she had a "condition" until she went for a regular check-up.

Can someone direct me to some travel insurance companies???

My main concern is for her, if she felt she couldn't do it then by all means she would cancel and we would "eat" the cost....her health comes first.

We have used "insuremytrip.com". Read the fine print before buying .. they have many companies they represent and each one's fine print is a bit different than the other. You can actually do a side by side comparison of companies on this site. Our current TA highly recommended them. Covering pre-existing conditions is extremely important to us --- do not want a policy that would not cover that. We had to purchase the policy within 10 days of booking our cruise for the pre-existing conditions to be covered. When we purchased our cruises thru the auto club, we had to purchase their insurance at the same time for pre-existing conditions to be covered.

We never travel without insurance ... just in case.

Hope your mother in law will be fine and that you will have a fantastic trip.

I guess the reason we didn't get insurance is because all the times we've traveled nothing has happened....but there is always a first time for everything.

We booked the cruise before we knew she needed the stents, she didn't know she had a "condition" until she went for a regular check-up.

Can someone direct me to some travel insurance companies???

My main concern is for her, if she felt she couldn't do it then by all means she would cancel and we would "eat" the cost....her health comes first.

I have always used Carnival insurance, but I am sure someone will come into your thread and give you the information you need. You can do a search here on "insurance" and you should be able to find a lot of information.

Now, to ask some personal questions. Has your MIL gone to the doctor to find out what her physician thinks of her traveling? I think if you talk to him, your fears for her may be alleviated. As you know, a cruise is not something that is calm and serene, but then you can also make it whatever you want it to be. She won't eat the entire fair if she decides not to go. If you go to your cruise on the Carnival site, you can find out that information. I will try and find it too.

One fine line in many of the insurance policies .... "must be able to travel at the time of purchase"

We booked a cruise for 2009 and my family is going too. My BIL just had surgery so he is not OK to travel right now, so we are holding off booking the cruise for them until his doctor says not an issue and we can book the cruise and get insurance with no problem.

Be sure your MIL has her doctor's OK to travel ... that way if you are able to get insurance you know that this fine print won't cancel out your benefits if something should come up.

There are a very few companies that will offer insurance with preexisitng conditions.. Take our fellow posters advise.. go to insuremytrip.com.. call them they will guide you

You will pay more....but its worth the peace of mind

I just went on insuremytrip. AIG offers insurance with preexisting conditions if purchased 60 days prior!

If you just want emergency medical coverage International Medical Group has an addendum for about $43 and a three year preexisting condition period..

Call them -they know better than any of us..

via insuremytrip, we've twice booked CSA (the most expensive one CSA offers lol); covers pre-existing conditions.

as long as you purchase it within X amount of days from final payment, you are good to go.

Not sure what you paid for the 3rd person in cabin, if you have to take the loss (hope MIL keeps on trucking:D ) might actually be less expensive than the insurance would...or at least in the same ballpark.

perhaps carnival will work with you, never hurts to ask imo...good luck.

I bought travel insurance last night from Travellux. I am making my final payment today for an 1/07 cruise...Shoule the final pymt date be of a concern? They did not ask about that ...

I would ask... I would not stay silent, it may void your coverage

I bought travel insurance last night from Travellux. I am making my final payment today for an 1/07 cruise...Shoule the final pymt date be of a concern? They did not ask about that ...

I would call and ask. Better to be safe than sorry.

When we have purchased insurance in the past, we did it at the time of deposit with final payment later. Read the fine print of the policies. That is what so many fail to do especially with regards to pre-existing conditions and what is and is not covered. The cruise lines offer insurance BUT again read the fine print ... will you get a refund OR do they give you credit towards another cruise or ??????

This is an issue that has recently been giving me angst, too. In the past our travel agent would have us purchase & pay for our insurance policy at the time of final payment. It was only with this last cruise that I actually sat down & read the policy. It stated there was a pre-existing condition clause in effect for the 60 days before the purchase of the insurance which I hadn't known about. I believe they would waive that clause if we purchased the insurance at the time of our deposit AND if we paid an additional $9. I never even knew about this, but now I'm trying to learn the best way to handle the insurance issue for future reference. If I purchase the insurance at initial deposit and we change our minds about a cruise before final payment is due, I believe I would lose the money paid for the insurance. Not crazy about that idea either. It makes me reluctant to book a cruise more than a couple of months in the future, which means I miss out on good deals & good cabin availability.

I looked on that website, http://www.insuremytrip.com, & looked at their policies. I think it was the CSA and Travelux that looked the best. The HTH policies said something about a pre-existing condition waiver if the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of FINAL payment. I wonder if that's true - it sounds good, but what does it really mean?

Before I take another cruise, I'm going to figure out what's the best way to handle the insurance issue. This can be very confusing.

Janet

Cancel the cruise for her.

My Aunt had stents put in the first week of June and has not recovered 100% yet.She was real tired all the time especially at night.After 2 months they decided to send her to Physical therapy where she is on a bike,treadmill,ect for up to an hour now at a time.Everybody heals in a different way and do you want to risk a complication at sea or in a foreign company? This is a pre existing condition and I would call any insurance company before I bought it and tell them the full details so in the event of a claim,no fine print ends up costing you or her tens of thousands.

Archived