Royal Caribbean travel insurance

RCCL insurance has an extra you won't find anywhere else. If you have to cancel due to a uncovered reason - they give you a 75% credit on another cruise. They are great because I had a friend on a cruise with me that had to be e-vaced and they took care of everything including the unused portion of the cruise. I would never cruise without RCCL's insurance. That is my opinion.

I was just about to ask this question-- my TA highly recommends the RCCL insurance.

Now I can see why!

Although we're traveling in April, the Northeast can still be pretty unpredictable, weather-wise. Not to mention all the other things that might come up.

SaratogaTrunk

Any reputable travel insurance will cover travel delays due to weather and cancellation due to illness or a number of other reasons. The main advantage of going with RCCL is the cancel for any reason clause. If you don't think canceling for any reason is something that is important to you, then compare costs of other brands of travel insurance.

There are several companies that offer very competitive pricing for high quality coverage. There are companies that offer to cover children for free if the parents buy insurance which is a real cost saver for families. The RCCL charges by passenger regardless of whether the passenger is a child or adult.

Also, some insurances are secondary, some are primary. For medical coverage this can be important for some people. Berkley care which I believe is the insurance carrier for RCCL (but I may be mistaken) is secondary coverage, not primary coverage.

With secondary coverage, you have to bill you health insurance or home owners first, and then the travel insurance picks up what the other insurance doesn't. With Primary coverage, you don't have to bill any other insurance first, the primary insurer just pays.

Someone else might be able to explain this better.

I was just about to ask this question-- my TA highly recommends the RCCL insurance.

Now I can see why!

Although we're traveling in April, the Northeast can still be pretty unpredictable, weather-wise. Not to mention all the other things that might come up.

SaratogaTrunk

Some TA's recommend going with the cruise line insurance, some recommend going with a private insurance company. Alot of the travel books I have read recommend going with an independent insurance company, not the insurance by the cruise line. All TA's that I know of recommend going with some sort of travel insurance.

The main advantage of going with an insurance not connected with a cruise line that I know of, is that if some thing happened to the cruise line, then you are still covered. There may be other advantages too, but someone else might be better familar with the pros and cons than me.

Archived