who did you do the tubing with?

scher

We brought a waterproof camera. The pictures came out great! Can't post the pics since it is not a digital camera. P.S. Don't wear sunglasses either. One of the people in our group lost a brand new pair of designer glasses.:eek:

As promised, I am back to tell you all about the excursion.

To begin, no I do not have any pictures, and thank god, I did not have a camera, or I would've lost it. Anybody, thinking of bringing a camera think again.

This excursion was loads of fun. One of the best I've ever done. There was 4 of us, with 3 guides going down the river. You need to put on a lifejacket. About half-way through, one guy flipped his tube. I was making fun of way. Two minutes later, it was my turn. I lose my sunglasses, had I had my camera, I probably would've lost that as well. It wasn't scary or anything, just pure fun. Most of the time was medium/slow, and then you had a few little rapids.

West Coast Taxi was very prompt, and I would do this excursion again in a heartbeat. Well worth the money.

Joanne

Why is it when I sent an e-mail to West Coast Taxi, it responded with all the info for Wacky Rollers?? Is it the same company? I thought I had read that Wacky Rollers had a contract with Carnival?

Wacky Rollers contracts with West Coast Taxi to transport you to the river and back. No need to book a taxi. Just book the trip with Wacky Rollers. It's all inclusive.

Plus, you can leave your personal articles with the taxi that transports you to the river. Everything will be there for you at pick up at the bottom of the river.

Why is it when I sent an e-mail to West Coast Taxi, it responded with all the info for Wacky Rollers?? Is it the same company? I thought I had read that Wacky Rollers had a contract with Carnival?

West Coast Taxi can do private tours to cruise passengers, whereas Wacky rollers cannot. It is the exact same tour, as you would take through the ship. For me, it was $25pp cheaper. Plus, you have less people on the tour, and it is a lot more personalised.

Joanne

I did the river tubing in feb it was absolutely amazing it was so good i did it through the cruisline and at first i thought it would be no fun but i was wrong it was so beautiful and the guides were great they stopped you from running into any big rocks they kept you cool by splashing you felt wonderful the4 tubes have a cloth bottom so your bottom is safe from scratching off n e thing i actually even popped my tube and they were right there giving me a new one within minutes! It was a great time and i would do it again in a heartbeat. Yes the water is a little chilly at first but after a few minutes it was fine. Any questions just ask me!

~Lauren

I did the river tubing in feb it was absolutely amazing it was so good i did it through the cruisline and at first i thought it would be no fun but i was wrong it was so beautiful and the guides were great they stopped you from running into any big rocks they kept you cool by splashing you felt wonderful the4 tubes have a cloth bottom so your bottom is safe from scratching off n e thing i actually even popped my tube and they were right there giving me a new one within minutes! It was a great time and i would do it again in a heartbeat. Yes the water is a little chilly at first but after a few minutes it was fine. Any questions just ask me!

~Lauren

which cruise line?

West Coast Taxi can do private tours to cruise passengers, whereas Wacky rollers cannot. It is the exact same tour, as you would take through the ship. For me, it was $25pp cheaper. Plus, you have less people on the tour, and it is a lot more personalised.

Joanne

Sorry, I'm still confused.

Is West Coast Taxi the same operation as Wacky Rollers?

When I sent the e-mail to West Coast Taxi, they responded as such:

"You recently indicated an interest in booking a tour in Dominica. If you would like to make a reservation for Wacky Rollers River Tubing or any other tour kindly complete the form below and return by email. Alternatively you may walk to the Tourism Office at the end of the pier by 10:20 am or 1:20 pm where a rep will be waiting or will contact us."

So I'm guessing they are the same company? The e-mail goes on to list all of the tours available through Wacky Rollers.

It has been mentioned that they transport you to the river in taxis. Does anyone know if they provide a van or anything larger if there are ten or more people in your group? Also, do they drop you off right at the river edge where you get into the water? One member of my group cannot walk very far but really wants to go tubing.

Joanne: Do you wear your bathing suit and just bring dry clothes to change in after your tubing? I noticed they say they have restrooms and a private changing facility.

Cardinala: I haven't done this tour yet, but it appears to me that Wacky Rollers has a contract with most or all of the cruise lines. They cannot book you direct if you are arriving via cruise line, as per their contact. They would have to charge you the cruise line excursion price. West Coast Taxi's is the booking agent for Wacky Rollers if you are a cruise ship passenger and want to book independently.

Thanks

Scher, thanks for posting the new thread. I've subscribed and hope to hear something soon--I leave in two weeks!

No problem, it is a really big concern of mine now. Dengue fever does not seem to be a great virus-disease to catch.

Hi,

Just to share my experience. I booked my river tubing with Antours. My group was 8. We cruised on Celebrity's "Journey" and arrived at the Cabrits port, the second town. We were picked up promptly and given a grand tour of the Carib Indian Territory, then the Emerald Pool. Then it was river tubing time. We were dropped off at the river's edge where the tubing starts. The guides were wonderful. The trip was a blast. We had fun, fun, all the way. We did not loose any items, as our driver, Anison, who was very professional and courteous, took care of our items while we were tubing. The course was great. Sometime slow, and some vigorous rapids. Everyone was kept save by the expert river guides. At the end of the tubing, we were picked up and given a stong rum punch to warm us up and we continued our tour back along the Caribbean coast to our ship right on time. We all enjoyed our day, especially the river tubing.

It appears to me that the course used by this operator has more water volume than that of Wacky Rollers, which seem to hold a lot of sediments from the recent floods. If you ask me, I'll do it again twice!

Here's their email if you'd like to try it. It's antours@yahoo.com.

The website is www.antours.dm, or they also have another site www.dominicacruisesite.com

Good luck to get a booking, they are very prompt and professional, and the price is reasonable.:p

To answer my own question, directly from Wacky Rollers.......

"We do have a contract with Carnival but not for River Tubing, however Carnival by way of this contract forbids operators with contracts even if it's not for the tours they have with the ships from taking any direct bookings. In our case we have The Canopy Challenge, Hot Springs Escape and The Wacky Rollers- Rainforest Sensation offered onboard but NOT our River Tubing.

Therefore since we are not able to handle your direct River Tubing booking we forward such emails to West Coast Taxi who are our transportation service providers for all our tours except the 4x4 which we do ourselves. They are an authorized booking agent for all our tours NOT offered on the ships.

We are not the same company but they offer guests who specifically want our tours which are not offered by the cruise lines the opportunity to book them.

Please tell fellow CC members that West Coast Taxi is simply one of our authorized booking agents, we are not the same company but the information they receive will be the same because they are selling Wacky Rollers tours."

Clears it up for me.

• 2 weeks later...
It has been mentioned that they transport you to the river in taxis. Does anyone know if they provide a van or anything larger if there are ten or more people in your group? Also, do they drop you off right at the river edge where you get into the water? One member of my group cannot walk very far but really wants to go tubing.

Joanne: Do you wear your bathing suit and just bring dry clothes to change in after your tubing? I noticed they say they have restrooms and a private changing facility.

Thanks

Can anyone answer the above questions asked by Rocky Top Mom a few weeks ago?

Thanks from me, too:)

Hi to All! I literally just got back tonight from my 12-nighter, which included Wacky Tubing on Dominica. First, Dominica is a beautiful island but is known for it rain, which we got plenty of while there. Second, the rain didn't matter because we did Wacky Tubing and were soaked anyway. LOL. Loved tubing through the rapids and the calmer water was a nice break in between. The guides were excellent and it was well organized. You bang around the rocks a bit but no one got hurt and some of the rapids were quite fast. I would definitely recommend sunblock, even if it is overcast. It was raining and overcast, I used a 50 SPF and still got a good bit of color.

Now to Rocky Top Mom's question. The name of tour group is Wacky Rollers. We were taken by taxi from the ship and the van held 10 people and could have held one or two more but it would be tight. They organize the seating by groups so if you have 10 you should be o.k. If you have more your group may be split up.

You wear a swimsuit or shorts and t-shirt (a swimsuit is better because you really get soaked) and a coverup which is left in the van with your towel and other property. The vans follow you down river and when you finish tubing you can get your stuff and dry off. There isn't a changing room and the bathroom left much to be desired--no toilet paper and no lock on the door. Taking anything, including a waterproof camera during tubing isn't recommended because you will lose it unless it is hooked to your lifevest. There are steep stairs that you must go down to get to the river. They were slippery and uneven.

I would highly recommend this tour and would be pleased to answer any questions.

Ginnie: Thanks so much for the response!

It almost sounds like the person in my group who has trouble walking may have too much difficulty with the stairs. I wonder why their web site says private, secure changing facilities? So, you just 'sun dried" and put other clothes back on over your bathing suits?

Ginnie: Thanks so much for the response!

It almost sounds like the person in my group who has trouble walking may have too much difficulty with the stairs. I wonder why their web site says private, secure changing facilities? So, you just 'sun dried" and put other clothes back on over your bathing suits?

Rocky Top Mom,

I didn't read their website just what RCI listed in their excursion description--it didn't mention changing rooms or bathrooms. I didn't see any changing rooms, just the bathrooms. You have to climb up from the river afterward, too, so I wouldn't recommend this tour for people who have trouble walking--it is wet and slippery. When you get to the refreshment area people washed the sand off their feet in what could laughingly call an outside shower and then you towel off, eat some fresh fruit or drink beer. Be sure and take towels because you will be sitting in the van in your wet swimsuit with your coverup on your towel.

When we were there in March, we just brought our towels but lots of people changed in the bathrooms. I also brought an extra t-shirt to put on. I also had a water proof camera, but if you put the band on it, you can attach it to your life jacket and it won't be lost (the band streches enough to take pictures with as well). If I have time to scan some of those in, I'll post them for all to see. We were on the Carnival Destiny and we booked through the ship.

Archived