When is the best time to go to Hawaii

CathyG

We are just (today) starting to think about a cruise to Hawaii. I know this has probably been asked many times so I apologize for asking again. When is the best time to go to Hawaii? What months are the wettest/driest? The Hawaii weather page said the summer months are May to October and winter are obviously November to April. However, it seems most ships are crusing in the winter months. What are some of the must sees? Which cruise line would you recommend and why. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cathy

• Administrators
We are just (today) starting to think about a cruise to Hawaii. I know this has probably been asked many times so I apologize for asking again. When is the best time to go to Hawaii? What months are the wettest/driest? The Hawaii weather page said the summer months are May to October and winter are obviously November to April. However, it seems most ships are crusing in the winter months. What are some of the must sees? Which cruise line would you recommend and why. Any info you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cathy

For a recent thread with opinions, check out this link -- http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=604482&highlight=time

As I said in that thread, I'd cruise Hawaii during whale season, which is also the time of high surf on the north shores of the islands (winter). As for which cruiseline, if you want an intensive itinerary within Hawaii, your only choice is NCL. Other cruiselines offer cruises beginning or terminating (or both, in circle cruises) on the west coast of North America -- lots of sea days (which certainly have a value all their own) and frequently less time in ports in Hawaii than NCL offers.

CathyG: Aloha. The link MichellP posted has a post by me with more links to recent discussions about what constitutes "best" time.

As for your other questions. There have been several threads discussing the pros and cons of the NCLA Hawaii-only itineraries versus the mainland round-trip or mainland one-way (repositioning) cruises (only in the late spring and mid fall to and from Alaska). You might try an advanced search on this forum for specific cruise lines. The question of the "must sees" is so overly broad that it's impossible to answer (at least for me). In addition to the fact that I have no idea what your preferences are, there are so many wonderful things to see and do on each of the islands that it would literally take me several hours to describe them all. If you do some browsing around the forum, as well as checking out some of the Hawaii travel websites (101thingstodo and go-hawaii are good, but there are many others) and perhaps a Hawaii travel guide (most libraries will have at least a few), you'll be able to get a feel for what appeals to you. Then, please do ask more specific questions that we'll be able to answer (or give opinions or what have you). We love to "talk" about Hawaii, but I need you to have more specific questions. (And remember that my "must do"s might be your "is she crazy"s.)

Happy reading!

beachchick

Daughter was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years....she would tell you the fall....we however did it in April....in April if you sail from the States it will be chilly first couple of days out and last couple of days back in...in the fall....should be warm the whole time except for back maybe.

We have TOURED Hawaii over Thanksgiving and July and of course April/May and we enjoyed all of them! More rainbows over Thanksgiving time...not so many in July and May didn't see but maybe one.

Lou

We took the Pride of Aloha in Jan this year. Was a great cruise and except for one day of rain in Hilo the rest of the time the weather was perfect. Even the rain isn't to bad cause it's still warm. We then took a cruise from San Diego to Hawaii in March. This was a good cruise too except you had 4 sea days going and then 4 sea days coming home. On the way over most days I could sit outside. But to tell you the truth I wouldn't do it again as I didn't care to much for the 4 days coming back home. Next time I'll do the NCL again. The good thing about cruising in Hawaii is you get to see all the islands. Then when you want to take a land vacation you know better what island you want to stay in. My favorite is Maui.

Aloha beachchick. Thank you everyone for your responses. MichellP I'm still going thru the web-site you suggested and have found all kinds of things I either didn't know or ever thought about. I didn't think about hurricane season or when we can see the whales or rainbows. We were toying with the idea of doing the Radiance roundtrip out of San Diego, since we can drive there, but after reading how cold and windy it can be, maybe that's not the cruise to do. Looks like I've got a lot to learn but it sure is fun doing the research. Again, thanks.

Cathy

Daughter was stationed in Hawaii for 4 years....she would tell you the fall....we however did it in April....in April if you sail from the States it will be chilly first couple of days out and last couple of days back in...in the fall....should be warm the whole time except for back maybe.

We have TOURED Hawaii over Thanksgiving and July and of course April/May and we enjoyed all of them! More rainbows over Thanksgiving time...not so many in July and May didn't see but maybe one.

Lou

I know this will seem really picky, but it's correct to say "sail from the mainland" because Hawaii is a state. If you cruise from CA to HI, you're going state to state (with probably a quick stop in Mexico to satisfy the Passenger Services Act). Hawaii residents get understandably annoyed when we mainlanders make references to "back in the states" or "going from/to the states" or similar when referring to a visit to Hawaii, the Aloha State.

beachchick

Beachchick, I just want to Thank you here for all of the info that you gave before my cruise. I'm still dreaming about Hawaii, and do plan on going back someday.

I think one of my biggest mistakes when I was in Hawaii was wanting to see EVERYTHING at one time. Pick things that are of interest to you and then prioritize the must-sees and do not try to see it all, it will not happen. The Revealed books are wonderful but when we were on the Road to Hana we thought we were going to stop at every blue diamond or must see along the way and we were lucky to have seen half of them. Be realistic, and if you don't see everything on your list cherish the beauty of the things that you did see. Don't try to rush from place to place but enjoy what you are seeing at the moment. Hawaii truly is Paradise!!

Archived