Scooter or ATV's ??

Mpls

We will be going to St Kitts, St Lucia, Antigua, and Barbados just before Christmas on the Emerald Princess. Both my wife and I love to scooter and also ride ATV's. Has anyone out there in Cruise Critic world tired either of these types of excursions on the above mentioned ports? I would love to here your recommendation on which type of activity is best on which port and what rental shop or tour operator you thought was best

Thanks for your input! :)

Mpls

progress.gif

smachim wrote:

We rented in 2004 a scooter from chekes and Antigua is very easy to drive.

I had been looking into scooters for some time but was pesuaded out of it by locals and others that had been because they said it was unsafe: potholes, livestock, fast crazy drivers, etc. You didn't feel unsafe?

I had been looking into scooters for some time but was pesuaded out of it by locals and others that had been because they said it was unsafe: potholes, livestock, fast crazy drivers, etc. You didn't feel unsafe?

We have not yet rode on this island yet. We did on St Marteen and had a blast going around the whole island. We stopped at many beaches and also for lunch. We never felt unsafe. We both do ride Harleys back home...so I guess we are used to looking out for potholes, livestock (deer), and of course horible drivers all talking on their cell phones and not watching what they are doing. Scooters have such a low center of gravity and that makes them easy to handle. Just go slow and let the crazy drivers pass. Watch the road ride safe and have fun.

Mpls

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We origially looked into renting from chekes. Finally decided on an open air jeep from dollar rental. It only took a few moments around the island to realize we made the right choice. We love riding scooters but the roads and obstacles are just too rugged. A vacation should be relaxing and I can't see how anyone would not have white knuckles after trying to maneuver a scooter around pot holes, sharp curves, some steep hills and general traffic. Maybe another island.

Archived