volendam lower promenade deck cabins

pasavant

has anyone sailed in one of the category c outside cabins on the promenade deck? I am thinking of booking one for the 14 day may 18th sailing from vancouver. I like the idea of having a deck nearby as I expect to be popping out to the deck alot to see the views and I cannot afford a balcony cabin. Would like to hear from anyone about noise or privacy issues. Thanks.

I think those cabins are a great choice. We stayed in one last year and didnt experience any problems with noise. For privacy, just make sure you keep your curtains closed after dark. During the day people will not be able to see in at all, but you will see out just fine.

The best thing about these cabins are the convenience to the promenade. DH and I loved this, and would go for walks around each night before turning in. It was very quiet late at night.

One thing to note, is that these Category C's are somewhat shorter than the other outside cabins. I think they are missing maybe one stack of drawers in the vanity area? Didnt bother us at all.

I've booked HH cabins a couple of times - they are the same as the C cabins, but there is a solid part of the ship structure blocking the view of the ocean (they are good values). I haven't noticed any undue noise. There is "one-way" glass in the window, so that people can't see into your room during the day. At night, you DO have to close your curtains when you have the lights on. Some people object to the "lack of privacy" resulting from passengers walking by your window, but I find it interesting.

The lower promenade deck cabins are one of HAL’s best kept secrets. Much less in cost than the lowest cost obstructed view veranda cabin and you have the largest balcony on the ship just a few feet from your cabin door. You also have a “balcony” view from either side of the ship. This is why we prefer this deck for Panama Canal cruises. We are in a “C” cabin for next months cruise on the Volendam and we saved almost $1100 over the BC obstructed view balcony 2 decks up. Actually we booked a “D” cabin and got an automatic upgrade to the C. We have never noticed any extra noise from this deck and the C cabins are mid ship so you are not directly below the dining room or show lounge. HAL has much larger outside cabins than most other lines. Our C cabin on the Volendam is 20 sq ft larger than our balcony cabin next year on the Century. And with HAL you get the same amenities with any class cabin that you only get in Veranda cabins on other lines, like full menu room service, terry cloth robes, and better towels and bedding. When we book on Celebrity we usually have to book a balcony room to get the same HAL amenities we get on the lower promenade deck.

We liked our C cabin on the Volendam. We had 3363 and it was right next to an exit to the deck so we could easily step out to the deck without any trouble. Lack of privacy was never an issue as no one could see in the window during the day. I went out and tried my darndest to see through the window,as a test,and I couldn't see a thing.

It was a good sized cabin and by some fluke, wireless internet was available right in the cabin.

This year we are going to try a B Verandah on the Maasdam to see if the difference is worth the extra money.

We haven't had an OV there on the Volendam, but we did on the Maasdam. The crew does hose down the decking there early in the morning (like between 5-7am), and sometimes we would hear the water from the hose against the bulkhead outside our stateroom. It really didn't bother us, and as others have said, the convenience of being steps away from the largest balcony on board was a gigantic plus for us.

Cheers,

Archived