Honest Opinion - Carnival

B-52

Well, first off I HAVE cruised on both...and multiple times...

And I have even RECENTLY cruised on BOTH BACK-TO-BACK...

I am also NOT an "RCI Cheerleader"...RCI isn't even my favorite cruise line...

That said, let me explain:

There are people out there who go through life thinking "Olive Garden" is the world's greatest Italian Restaurant"...Of course, any "expert" will tell you it isn't...But that doesn't matter to people who like it...They know they like it and they know what THEY want...

Everyone has different criteria, different standards...They weigh the importance of things differently.

The guy who NEVER uses the spa could care less which cruise line offers better spa services...The couple WITH kids may place overdue importance on the kids' programs...

And everyone has a different level of expectations based on THEIR particular experience...

If someone's idea of "eating out" back home is Denny's or TGI Fridays or IHOP, they will likely see nothing wrong with sitting in a "booth" or having their waiter ask the person next to them to pass the plate over to you or the waiter telling them to "save their fork" or getting your appetizer, soup and entree all at the same time...(Yes, we saw all of that on the Carnival Liberty)...The fact that there are cloth napkins and tablecloths and that the food gets brought right to the table may be enough for those folks to THINK they're getting "great service"...

Those same folks don't expect any help at the buffet and are just happy they supply trays and lots of food...

And some of those same folks may go on a non-Carnival cruise and never pay attention to what's different...

Of course, it also may be that poor service, prerecorded voice tracks in the entertainment and crowded dining rooms and lines at various amenities and waits at the crowded showroom are just things that don't register with those folks...

Maybe unimportant to them, maybe they just don't expect more...

So, they do get lots of food...and drink...the kids seem to be having fun...They don't mind waiting in the showroom for the show because there's a bingo game or an art auction while they wait...and they think of all of this as constant "fun"...

Some of them actually LOVE the gaudy decor...

And they all love the fact that they think they paid less for this...they saved money...

And, IN THEIR MINDS, they are getting the "same" cruise...

And, hey, I get it...

And, I think if you are happy with what you get on Carnival, then great! We are all not the same...

As for my discerning eye, I have tried it...and tried it again...and tried it again...

I have compared it directly with Royal Caribbean and have become extremely aware of all of the differences...

Carnival cuts corners all over the place...and its loyal customers don't care...They like it...

McDonald's has lots of loyal customers...

Walmart has lots of loyal customers...

Motel 6 has lots of loyal customers...

Denny's has lots of loyal customers...

They could eat at nicer restaurants, stay at nicer hotels and shop at nicer stores...but, at least in their eyes, don't see or understand the difference...or percieve the value...

Good...good for them...

As for me, yeah, if Carnival offered me a FREE cruise, I'd probably go...it's not a TERRIBLE product...The food has actually improved considerably over the years...they have some good itineraries...the cabins, though hideously decorated, are of good, ample size...

They just don't compare with Royal Caribbean...

If you percieve the difference, you're likely to be willing to pay a little more...

If you don't...if those things aren't important to you...or not worth additional cost to you, then you are probably just fine with Carnival...

But don't tell me that there is NO difference...I know better...

Steve as usual you hit the nail on the head. Some get it and well..........some don't!!!!!!!;)

Snobs??? LMAO at that statement. Just because someone prefers one cruise line over the other and can give the reasons why does not make them a snob. It's funny that Carnival is the only cruise line that has to have it's supporters defend it on the cruise boards. They are the only one that has a reputation that they cannot shake. Why is that? If my preferring RCI over Carnival makes me a snob in your book then so be it but I guess we won't see you on the RCI boards anymore.:rolleyes:

snob a: one who tends to rebuff, avoid, or ignore those regarded as inferior b: one who has an offensive air of superiority in matters of knowledge or taste.

As I said, I think both lines are almost identical. I would sail either in a heartbeat. The only difference I see is that for some reason SOME of RCI passengers enjoy looking down their noses at Carnival. As I said my co-worker is a SNOB. She has never been on any other cruiseline but knows that Carnival is beneath her. I know that if she ever went on Carnival all she would do is pick it apart.

I never understand all the Friday's, Walmart etc comments. I don't shop at Walmart EVER but if you do that doesn't make you any different than me. You just shop at a different place.

I am a middle- aged, middle class American and probably on the low end of the class group and the high end of the age group. That being said my cruise lines should be either RCI, Carnival of Norwegian. Those three ships generally carry passengers in my soci-economical group. I've never been on Norwegian so I can't comment on that cruise line. But I have been on RCI and guess what folks, bascially it is the same cruise. It is so amazing when RCI passengers act like they were sailing on the Seaborn line.

I do realize that some people need to feel superior and that could be the reason for the Friday's, Walmart, Carnival, comments. If I had listened to most of the folks on this board I would never have tried Carnival after my first RCI cruise. That would have been a shame since I would have limited my options.

Snobs??? LMAO at that statement. Just because someone prefers one cruise line over the other and can give the reasons why does not make them a snob. It's funny that Carnival is the only cruise line that has to have it's supporters defend it on the cruise boards. They are the only one that has a reputation that they cannot shake. Why is that? If my preferring RCI over Carnival makes me a snob in your book then so be it but I guess we won't see you on the RCI boards anymore.:rolleyes:

I think everyone defends the cruise line he or she likes most I guess. I don't think Carnival is the only cruise line that has supporters defend it. And how would you know unless you've been on every other board defending RCI :) and who cares? RCI has fans and so does Carnival and so does every other cruise line... We shouldn't be bashing eachother's choice in what one likes. I prefer Carnival food...I think RCI's ships are beautiful!

I think everyone defends the cruise line he or she likes most I guess. I don't think Carnival is the only cruise line that has supporters defend it. And how would you know unless you've been on every other board defending RCI :) and who cares? RCI has fans and so does Carnival and so does every other cruise line... We shouldn't be bashing eachother's choice in what one likes. I prefer Carnival food...I think RCI's ships are beautiful!

I do read the other boards on Cruise Critic and I do not see folks on here bashing Carnival but giving the reasons that they will no longer sail on Carnival. Some of you call that bashing.:rolleyes:

Archived