Tips for privately booked shore excursion

junobeach

these guys live by tips.

Makes me nuts swhen folks go blind and cannot see the tip jar on their way off the boat or off the bus!

Yes, a tip is in order. Ever wonder where the term "Ugly American" came from? This is one of the key examples.

these guys live by tips.

Makes me nuts swhen folks go blind and cannot see the tip jar on their way off the boat or off the bus!

Yes, a tip is in order. Ever wonder where the term "Ugly American" came from? This is one of the key examples.

That can go both ways, ever heard the term "dumb American?" I tip, but sometime's I have to ask myself why we are letting these people that own all these money maker's why they don't pay their people a decent wage instead of expecting us to pick up the slack. As long as we do it, its just more money in their pocket.

There is always a tip jar or you can hand it to one of the guys or girls on your way off the boat or bus or whatever. You can not miss the person in charge, they usually are noticable but regardless of whom you give it to these guys are a team so I am sure it is always split. In GC we tipped the jar $10 total for the two of us, it was Captain Marvins. Peat Taylor in Jamaica we tipped $20 for the two of us as we left his tour bus, awesome guy and tour. It all depends on your experience, were they friendly, helpful, informative? It is horrible to see some people just leave nothing but thats their perogative. Generally speaking I think $5 per person is a generous tip. JMO.

these guys live by tips.

The OP asked how much to tip not if they should. You didn't answer her question. Makes me nuts when people don't answer the question but still have to post.

To the OP we usually tip 20 for two of us. Happy sailing.

Thank you! I wanted to be sure I was on target with my tips, since in all my 7 cruises, I have never taken a shore excursion! Hard to believe for most, I know!

On all of our tours the guide told us how much to tip :rolleyes: . We usually have a driver (bus) and a guide and at the end of the trip before we leave the bus the guide usually tells us the driver's name and then asks everyone to give him a $1.00 to thank him for driving us around. Of course we tip more but I have never been on a tour where one of the people who is helping out on the tour has not asked for a tip.

:D Today is Pass Along a Smile Today.

these guys live by tips.

I think the ugly american is the person who tries to buy his way toward preferrential treatment and throws his money around like he's king tut:eek:

Been with Nativeway three times. When we leave the boat, we just give the head honcho a $20, to split among the crew (usually no more than two or three persons.) The driver fro transportation to the Yacht Club has always been the Nativeway owner, Eldon or his wife Sharon, and we have seen no reason to tip them additionally.

Been with Nativeway three times. When we leave the boat, we just give the head honcho a $20, to split among the crew (usually no more than two or three persons.) The driver fro transportation to the Yacht Club has always been the Nativeway owner, Eldon or his wife Sharon, and we have seen no reason to tip them additionally.

This is the way it was for us also... Eldon and Sharon were our drivers and we tipped 20 bucks and let them handle how to split it...

You are going to LOVE the Nativeway excursion. We had a great time!! :D

I'm booking a shore excursion with NativeWay (Grand Cayman). Can someone please advise me on the appropriate tip for this? Also, I assume there are several employees on the boat, so who do we tip if it's expected?

Sometimes the company is family owned an operated. Check this out too. Some people like to tip over and above but I will sometimes pay less to go local and then add a tip (still cheaper than RCI).

LOVED nativeway! We did the rays reef and rum tour. Our group of 4 families had the boat to ourselves! AWESOME! We pooled $5 per person and added it to the payment at the end of the excursion.

The photographer that rode with us made sure we tipped. :rolleyes: She must have "recommended" it a dozen times during the ride back. (we would have done it anyway! - well worth the $$)

Connie

Howards Girl and Sea Island Lady -

I e-mailed and posted a booking on the website for Native Way yesterday and received no confirmation. How long did it take you to get a reply when you booked with them?

Give it a couple days - the WILL get back to you.

~Connie

Yes, it will take a few days to a week for them to get back to you....especially if there are ships in. They stay very busy!

I was just thinking that with the high cost of gas (van and boat), tipping the owners might not be a bad idea. It's been three years since we took an excursion with NW.

these guys live by tips.

Actually Americans tip more than many other countries.

Archived