Excursions in Banjul, Gambia

camNaud

I went there on the Princendam in 2002. It was the first HAL cruise ship they ever had. The pier is walking distance from the town. You will not be in Paris or Miami. Once you understand that you will enjoy visiting a place very few people ever get to see. The market is very interesting. I hired a private tour co to go to the Abuka Nature Reserve. I enjoyed that to. The people are so nice and you wilol have a good day

We stopped in Banjul on Holland America in 2005. I would stress to be extremely careful with your belongings, more so than any other port we've visited. It is a very poor country. Be sure to take bug repellant, too!

But there are some interesting things there. We took the city tour. We visited the Kachically Crocodile Pool, which is home to about 80 Nile crocodiles. Most reside in the pond, but some will lay along the edge, and you can actually pet them, they are so tame. The site is sacred to locals, and said to contain healing powers and will aid women experiencing infertility. We also visited the city museum, which doesn't really have much, to be honest. The building is approximately 5000 square feet, tops. I wouldn't recommend going out of your way to visit it.

Other tours that were available from our cruise included a camel safari, and an off-road adventure in open-air trucks. If I were to go back, I think I would try the off-road adventure instead of a city tour.

I would recommend taking a ship tour in Banjul rather than trying to explore on your own. Make sure to book early - they sold out quickly on our cruise.

Hi,

While I wouldn't disagree I sometimes think we equate poor with dangerous. Most people on our ship took half day tours and walked into the town after. I do not remember anyone having any problems. That would not be the case in Dakar. We also stopped in Accra and we walked around freely without anyone even trying to sell us anything. It really depends on the place.

Enjoy

We took the tour that 'Sarasmommy' took and the pickpockets were out there - little kids, too. One fool woman gave a pack of gum to one child and had nothing for the others They were beating up the kid who had it all and the guide had to step in.! And don't give anything sugar to anyone in the poverty countries as they mostly have no dentist or cannot afford one.

We did enjoy the tour and the vendors were at the dock so we felt no need to walk around.

MaryAnn

We took the ship tour to Abuka. We enjoyed the reserve, but the bus trip out to it was very interesting. On the way back, we stopped in a small village for shopping. That stop also was interesting, not for the shopping, but just to walk about in the area.

• 3 months later...
We will be there next March 29 aboard the Prinsendam....Guess we will have to wait and see what the current situation is at that time.

We have enjoyed a couple of Holidays in Gambia and used Tillys Tours for our Excursions. Run by an English Lady who really looked after our Group. Abuko Nature reserve I found rather lacking and primitive, I definatly recommend the Crocodile Pool and Lamin Lodge which a a stilted Bar / eating place on the Bolongs where there are so many Monkeys running around. We enjoyed some wonderful cultural entertainment and lunch there. If you get the chance, go out in their big safari truck, its great fun - Oh Serekunda is an eye opener especially travelling through it on the Big Truck. We made a stop at the Batik Factory, which is more tables outside where people are doing the work. You actually get to try your hand at it.

Tillys Tours prices are good, we felt very safe indeed and the English speaking guides made sure we got some excellent prices for items we bought.

Archived