Stupid Newbie question about disembarkation day

themishmans

One of the perks with NCL is the ability to stay in your room until your color is called to leave the ship. It's so much better than being crammed into one of the public areas to wait. We usually bring breakfast back to the room and relax until time to leave. The last time we sailed with NCL I remember being able to read on our balcony, and I even took a little nap. Wonderful! Enjoy your cruise.

One of the nicest things about NCL is the disembarking process. Although I guess it sometimes gets confusing, we did not have this experience. There is a buffet for breakfast, but the omelet station and waffle station were not set up. The main dining room had a large menu really, the only hting missing was eggs benedict I think. INdeed, you can stay in your room or bring breakfast to your room. Honestly, we just relaxed that morning. We signed up to carry our luggage off ourselves, but we weren't even up when they announced for those folks to disembark. We went to breakfast, and didn't even pack until we came back to the room. Took all the stress out of the whole thing. Walked off with our luggage with NO WAIT (I think the earlier you try to leave the longer the wait), and it took all of two minutes to clear customs. From our state room to the taxi was all of about 3 minutes. I'm not sure what the rush to get off the ship is. But NCL does it fabulous--I hated those bad, sad breakfasts and sitting in a herd of people in some designated spot on the ship for over an hour.:cool: Enjoy your last morning is my suggestion.:D

• Administrators
One of the nicest things about NCL is the disembarking process. Although I guess it sometimes gets confusing, we did not have this experience. There is a buffet for breakfast, but the omelet station and waffle station were not set up. The main dining room had a large menu really, the only hting missing was eggs benedict I think. INdeed, you can stay in your room or bring breakfast to your room. Honestly, we just relaxed that morning. We signed up to carry our luggage off ourselves, but we weren't even up when they announced for those folks to disembark. We went to breakfast, and didn't even pack until we came back to the room. Took all the stress out of the whole thing. Walked off with our luggage with NO WAIT (I think the earlier you try to leave the longer the wait), and it took all of two minutes to clear customs. From our state room to the taxi was all of about 3 minutes. I'm not sure what the rush to get off the ship is. But NCL does it fabulous--I hated those bad, sad breakfasts and sitting in a herd of people in some designated spot on the ship for over an hour.:cool: Enjoy your last morning is my suggestion.:D

I agree -- one of the reasons I love Freestyle cruising (not just dining) is the very relaxed process that last morning. I also detest going to some overly-crowded, usually hot, public lounge and waiting cheek-to-jowl with a few hundred others (many of whom are crabby for various reasons, including just the fact that a great cruise is over!) for the announcement to be made that you can leave.

Just be aware that the tradeoff for this is that sometimes when you board the ship the cabins on your deck aren't ready yet, and so you have to wait until your deck is announced as ready. Every now and then we'll read a review praising the disembarkation, but complaining about having to wait for the cabins to be ready -- you really can't have it both ways. For me, I'd prefer a little delay in getting to my cabin on the front end, since I can explore the ship, have a foofoo drink, change into a swimsuit if I choose, etc.

Every now and then we'll read a review praising the disembarkation, but complaining about having to wait for the cabins to be ready -- you really can't have it both ways.

Very well said, MichellP. Some people just seem to be missing the Logic gene.

So if I'm willing to carry my luggage off the ship I can leave whenever I want? I had the impression that this option was only for those who were wanting to leave early in the morning.

Can you leave at say...10am if you carry your own luggage off the ship?

• Administrators
So if I'm willing to carry my luggage off the ship I can leave whenever I want? I had the impression that this option was only for those who were wanting to leave early in the morning.

Can you leave at say...10am if you carry your own luggage off the ship?

Yes, anytime up to the final "all ashore" call (which may or may not be as late as 10:00 AM). On Pride of Hawaii this summer, as each new color was called for disembarkation, they would repeat "Easy Fly and Express Disembarkation passengers" as part of the call.

If the ship is due to dock in the morning, do they still serve breakfast that day?
the dining room may have a slightly limited menu but will offer almost the same as regular days, the buffet will be full with the exception of the omelette and waffle bar may not be offered.

Nita

Last month on the Majesty, we arrived in Boston and they began disembarkation about8am. We also first enoyed breakfast in the dining room and were pleased with the selection and the relaxed pace. Afterwards we were able to clean up in our rooms before heading out.

We also had a late train to catch so were in no hurry to leave the ship, however final call to leave was at 9:30 and i was hoping it was going to be a little later. But this was much better than sitting in the lounge with luggage everywhere, with 50% of the people yapping on their cell phones. NCL does it right! :)

I'm wondering if it's like other ships, in that even if your color IS called, you can still wait to get off the ship?

And you can really wait in your cabin to disembark? And maybe not have to get up at the crack, and instead get up at half past the crack? ;) Seriously - the part of the cruise I hate the most is that last day - I feel like when you have to get out of your stateroom super early, it sort of ruins the unwinding you did during the rest of the week...

Archived